A hydrogen boat? WHY NOT

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
mars66
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mars66 » 03/04/08, 15:07

I must specify that the idea was to install a wind turbine with vertical axis on the cockpit of last generation (see wind turbine of the type "Gual industry" but better, lighter and with a better output concerning the alternator, d 'use, of course, batteries and the idea, perhaps sogrenue was to couple a bi-energy engine that its in the process of developing carterpillar and mtu but I do not have the info if it will be for all types of engines. (OF COURSE there are combustion pills, by the way if anyone has any links please put them to me) but I lack knowledge, the boat is not young and the owner is OK to put it on me available if the project can be completed, so if people are interested in participating in the adventure it's Well com. do not hesitate to contact me on my personal email for more info .... The boat is based in the Pyrénées-Orientales
Thank you to all of you
0 x
Give, exchange, share, are the only words that move forward.
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 03/04/08, 15:12

And a big fat kite on a winch, that's all that's true

see a good spinnaker

see here : https://www.econologie.com/forums/un-bateau- ... t4994.html
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 03 / 04 / 08, 15: 19, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
mars66
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mars66 » 03/04/08, 15:13

I forgot to say that of course I am not closed to any change of direction (some have already been proposed) and that it would be a shame to leave this boat abandoned, which is the case by the way, so that it could be used for the development of new propulsions (I know !!! I like to dream)
0 x
mars66
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mars66 » 03/04/08, 15:27

I will try to put a picture of the boat but I have no idea how to do this
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 03/04/08, 16:47

you prepare a jpg file, you make "answer".

Just below the window where we write, there is a link "insert an image or a file"

You click on it ... you let yourself be guided, the forum to return a text of the style

[img] -------- 1scs54ffd3q1sqsd545 ---- [/ img] with infamous letters and numbers ...

You take the copy paste text and put it directly in your message on a blank line.

@+
0 x
mars66
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by mars66 » 03/04/08, 17:22

thank you to you Remundo
0 x
Wind Howler
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Wind Howler » 03/04/08, 17:33

The problem with the wind is its irregularity (even if the Eastern Pyrenees region is quite windy). I happened to arrive, going up from Spain to Cap d'Agde, to find the Brescou lighthouse (powered by a wind turbine and powerful batteries) turned off for lack of wind, a rare occurrence, but I saw it (and my passengers too).
I also had the experience of going up from Gibraltar to Sète on a trimaran without an engine with a barely perceptible wind (6 days to Barcelona, ​​then 5 days to Sète, 4 port entries including Barcelona made sculling, when the wind was totally absent ...) At certain times, the boat no longer had enough speed to steer, it was necessary to put it back on its course by means of the scull; also a Camargue-Cap d'Agde Port in delivery on a racing-cruising sailboat under Drifter, in 24 hours, etc. I find it hard to see a wind turbine, even a vertical axis, being of any use in similar cases.
. To do in the Mediterranean more than 100 miles per 24 hours on average over the duration of a cruise other than on a machine beyond the financial reach of ordinary people, you must have an "iron jib" (iron jib, in other words a diesel of sufficient power: of the order of 20 kilowatts for a sailboat of a dozen meters), and the corresponding storage of "fuel" which stinks as a bonus. Regarding the wind turbine, whatever it is, it is necessarily weak to downwind (except heavy weather ...). The advertised power of the wind turbines corresponds to ideal wind conditions, with some exceptions far from 20 Kw.
The very efficient and fast sailboats of the "Vendée Globe" have a significant engine to produce the important electrical energy necessary for their automatic pilots as well as their navigation and transmission devices, possibly in case of emergency, for their propulsion. , obviously out of the race.
And for high sailing speeds, this is a different area, you have to be able to meet the budget (boat, rigging, sails, maintenance, rapid wear, "breakage", regular and expensive passage in the yard to resume and reinforce the weakening of the structure, possibly dismasting, turnarounds and the ensuing costs - towing and repairs, etc.) as well as having a competent crew. Unless you are a professional racer, these speeds do not concern us.
From the archives: the speed of the "Liberty Ship" was 11 knots.
In 1944, he succeeded the "Victory ships" whose speed, from 15 to 17 knots, was considered necessary for attempts to dodge during the submarine attacks of the Kriegsmarine.
Good luck!
0 x
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: A hydrogen boat? WHY NOT

by Pierre-Yves » 03/04/08, 23:07

mars66 wrote:A hydrogen boat !!!

Voila, I explain, I am going to have a 23-meter explorer-type boat (which does not advance quickly but surely between 12 and 15 nx).

hello march66. I guess it is a motor boat. Can you give some characteristics: weight, engine power.

I don't think going through hydrogen is a good idea. First, it is an expensive solution, then reliability on a boat is not guaranteed. A boat vibrates, rocks, pounding, in a humid and corrosive atmosphere: the material suffers. In addition, the returns must be taken into account.

- You start from wind turbines to make electricity, with an output r1.
- electricity produces hydrogen with a yield r2.
- the hydrogen is consumed in a heat engine (r3 = 0,33) or a fuel cell (r3 = 0,6?) which will produce electricity supplying an engine of the same name.
- we finally arrive at the propeller, with an efficiency r4.

the final output is r1 * r2 * r3 * r4: you therefore start from not much to achieve almost nothing !!! This is the problem with all chains: the longer they are, the more losses there are.

Then, if you are talking about 4 kW, you have to install a much larger power to take into account the randomness of the wind and the average wind. What you will be able to obtain is far from the power necessary to reach the 12-15 knots that you are aiming for. Even in the event of strong winds (which also risk unbalancing your boat by the wind turbines catching the wind, because you introduce surfaces above the center of gravity), you will hardly have any hydrogen to store.

There are many experimental boats (all electric with batteries, photovoltaic, with fuel cell), but everything is optimized accordingly: it is not necessarily adaptable to a standard boat.

At present, we have not found better than the sails to move a boat forward without polluting! Now there are sails and sails. If you want to innovate, you can choose a wing-wing (25% better than a classic wing), but you will still need an auxiliary engine.

That said, the problem you pose is interesting. Many owners of motor boats would like to have a mode of propulsion that does not consume greenhouse fossil energy, is silent, environmentally friendly. Since many of these don't know anything about sailing, they don't have immediate solutions. The solution may come from automated sails: once the course is set, a software will manage the sheets of the sails, by tacking or shocking according to the variations of the wind. I am working on this subject and will come back to it.
0 x
optimization, energy savings
http://www.avel-vor.fr
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 04/04/08, 10:41

mars66 wrote:I must specify that the idea was to install a wind turbine with vertical axis on the cockpit of last generation (see wind turbine of the type "Gual industry" but better, lighter and with a better output concerning the alternator,

I know Gual Industrie wind turbines well: they are efficient and they are the only ones that can produce up to winds of 200 km / h and withstand even higher winds, but we must not hope to lighten, otherwise it becomes fragile ... and I'm not convinced that it would withstand a lot of sea ... and we get there quickly: just take the Enez Eussa (45 meters, 450 tonnes, 3450hp, 16 knots) on the Brest / Ouessant line in winter by force 8 to see that it already passes above the wheelhouse in the Formveur ... : Mrgreen:
In addition, wind in the bottom the performance would be poor because the speed of the boat is subtracted from that of the wind, and in a headwind, the windage would slow down the boat ... this is what explains (in addition to the fragility) l abandonment of alcyone type turboshafts.
Not really, the only really effective solution is sailing, combined with mechanical propulsion in the event of wind failure, but with a boat designed for that: you cannot transform a motor boat into a sailboat because you need anti-drift surfaces and a ballast to avoid capsizing at the first gust ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

a boat

by tigrou_838 » 04/04/08, 10:42

hello, I followed this post well and do not understand too much.

it is so much easier to do like many sailboats, mainsail + jib + spinnaker, to move the boat forward.

small wind turbine which recharges batteries, and supplies a small electric motor for windless days or for maneuvering in ports.

it's simple has been effective for a few millennia, plus the electric prop.

if it is a boat a la de-kersauzon a thermal engine with pantone or G doping, the best would be of course.

this only binds me of course.

tigrou
0 x

Back to "hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ..."