Lifetime monitors and flat screen TV: plasma and LCD

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 16/12/07, 17:25

Regarding cathode ray tubes, my first color TV, a Schneider, was bought by my parents in 1981, just after their marriage. It even fell once on the screen ...
It always works on the latest news (I didn't change it when I bought the PS2 because it only managed SECAM, sniff).

For LCDs, my grandfather bought a 4 inch LCD for his PC 1 2/14 years ago. Super cheap, a noname to which I did not give a long lifespan: the panel is always flawless, no dead pixel to my surprise. Only defect: the plug to feed it has a false contact, resolved by a cork.

A while ago, there were quite a few factories building LCDs, and each one worked for many brands (outsourced). The tiles were passed on a test bench, and were then assigned to the different brands according to their quality. I don't know if it always happens like that.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/12/07, 19:12

A while ago, there were quite a few factories building LCDs, and each one worked for many brands (outsourced). The tiles were passed on a test bench, and were then assigned to the different brands according to their quality. I don't know if it always happens like that.

It's always like that. It is a question of supply and demand if "Panamachin" or "Brolhips" on demand for perfect screens, it pays the price of sorting and scarcity, others have a first price clientele and seek the second or even the third choice. exactly the same as for meat, vegetables or flowers.

This policy has already been applied for a long time for space, military, industrial and general public electronic components: they are produced in the same chains, but are sorted at the outlet. Same thing for transistors intended for high power amps: manufacturers pay dearly so that they are in a narrow range of characteristics (we place 3 to 10 complementary pairs in parallel)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 13/09/08, 04:04

Good evening

for the tft or plasma display part, it can be considered as wear-free, on the other hand the light source placed behind it has a lifetime limited to 15 or 20000 h of operation, to be taken into account if you leave your device on for 12 h day.

another negative point, a new standard is being implemented (HDCP) for the transfer of data between the video source and the screens, which may lead in some cases to have a black screen if you want to broadcast a pirate video in hd.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandw ... Protection

all new screens will be provided. This is one of the reasons, among other things, that we can find some very attractive promo screens because they do not have them and must disappear from the shelves quickly.

jeff
0 x