The man has eaten the earth

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The man ate the earth

by Ahmed » 02/12/19, 09:04

I do not see how your objections would be relevant in the specific case we're talking about here-
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 02/12/19, 09:24

People have more power than they think ...
it's just! But having a hypothetical power and using it, except in times of crisis, and wanting it, that's where the difference lies. So when the vehicle goes into the wall, it is not the moment to ask if we had his brakes over.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/12/19, 09:46

I would like to know how tram passengers have the power to prevent their disappearance and the rise of the automobile, two decisions taken by the public authorities (under the influence of industrialists) and in conformity with to the concept of maximum dissipation of energy, but not to that of these users ...
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 02/12/19, 14:22

Ahmed wrote:I would like to know how tram passengers have the power to prevent their disappearance and the rise of the automobile, two decisions taken by the public authorities (under the influence of industrialists) and in conformity with to the concept of maximum dissipation of energy, but not to that of these users ...

I understand what you mean, but did not some of the passengers themselves start using the car instead of the tramway, effectively decreasing the profits of the companies operating the tramway?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/12/19, 14:57

The automobile was then a luxury good and did not concern the majority of employees and workers. But with the advent of Taylorism, the automobile would be able to become a consumer product. However, to exploit this opportunity, it was necessary first to destroy the tram networks. It is groups of oil-related industrialists who have bought the tram companies and then liquidated them and create a demand for any room.
To fully answer your question, these tram networks were not very profitable mainly because of the dispersion of their structures, but they provided a real public service and at a global cost well below what would follow ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/19, 15:29

Ahmed wrote: secondly, I do not see what tramway users could do through their individual preferences (as consumers, if you prefer) ...

Well maybe!

The tram had its first hour of glory, after the carriages, as long as the majority of the urban could not afford a car. They acclaimed the trams.

And then the majority could afford a car.

We had to make clear space for the cars. We built roads - and highways, in town. We cleared the trams that were causing a mess there in the middle. We can certainly say that it is the lobbies. Automobile industry. Capitalism. And it is not wrong. Is this entirely true? No, these are the people who wanted lots of things, as usual contradictory: move when they want, show their success, be free (the car, that was freedom!) ... Public transport, it was crowded, there are schedules (constraints!) ... Etc Etc ... So yes, the consumer played a role. And yes, capitalism has played on its "desires" ... As always ...

And then this system has reached its limits: traffic jams, pollution ... We first denied the effect on health ... And then we no longer denied ... And we rediscovered the tram. In own site this time - because the old tram, in the middle of the traffic, had become catastrophic! But each site, talk to a politician, remains a galley: protests, etc ... Here, some refuse to tear an old plane tree (I know of sure source, we transplanted and handed over after a golden price, while planting a young person would have been much greener - this is the growth of a tree that immobilizes the C, not the tree!). Traders moan .... For a long time, it was likely to cost his job to mayor.

I think the consumer plays an important role. Even if, of course, the capitalists subtly exploit the baseness of man - I will not clear them.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/19, 15:34

Ahmed wrote:
It is groups of oil-related industrialists who have bought the tram companies and then liquidated them and create a demand for any room.

In Europe ? Are you sure ? There, the references interest me ... I would like to know where the private to buy public services to liquidate them (I speak about the disappearance of old trams, which allowed the arrival of the whole car). Frankly, I have a doubt.

In the States, I do not say ...

Even if more recently, the public service delegations have multiplied here - but for the start of the new trams instead.
1 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 02/12/19, 16:09

Ahmed wrote:The automobile was then a luxury good and did not concern the majority of employees and workers. But with the advent of Taylorism, the automobile would be able to become a consumer product. However, to exploit this opportunity, it was necessary first to destroy the tram networks. It is groups of oil-related industrialists who have bought the tram companies and then liquidated them and create a demand for any room.
To fully answer your question, these tram networks were not very profitable mainly because of the dispersion of their structures, but they provided a real public service and at a global cost well below what would follow ...

Oh yes, public services, which have been carefully dismantled and it's not over! : Twisted:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/12/19, 16:40

The streetcar companies were private companies, but the service they provided to the community was indeed a public service.
The beginning of the expansion of capitalism in England corresponds to several similar phenomena *: the passage from the "domestic system" to the "factory system" (which institutes imposed work) and the movement of enclosures (appropriation of the commons), which will be then completed by the abolition of laws protecting (a little) the indigent => Dickens...

* And no, as is often believed by the development of machinery that will be later.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 02/12/19, 20:29

Did67 wrote:
Ahmed wrote:It is groups of oil-related industrialists who have bought the tram companies and then liquidated them and create a demand for any room.

In Europe ? Are you sure ? There, the references interest me ... I would like to know where the private to buy public services to liquidate them (I speak about the disappearance of old trams, which allowed the arrival of the whole car). Frankly, I have a doubt.

In the States, I do not say ...

Even if more recently, the public service delegations have multiplied here - but for the start of the new trams instead.

The film explains well the passage between abandoned electric trams in favor of the car and the reasons: to allow the tanker to take control of transport. Moreover, in the US this abandonment would be done in part through political-financial shenanigans and by appealing to mafia organizations.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"