Biofuels: false good idea?

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 04/06/07, 18:20

Nikolian wrote:Companies possessing the necessary technicality and ethics must set up in these countries to prevent them from being damaged.

Hello
Apart from handymen like my friends and me; find me a large-scale company that is, even a zest, ethical.

when the big box arrives in the third world it is only to plunder resources.

@+

PS: oil has mada, it's a legend !!!!!
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Nikolian
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Nikolian » 04/06/07, 20:38

zac wrote:Apart from handymen like my friends and me; find me a large-scale company that is, even a zest, ethical.

2 come to mind

Danone and its investment fund in poor countries.
This is for the Zest

And another one that might seem odd to you considering the industry she works in and her rather ruthless main opponent.
But I am thinking of E.Leclerc, who in the field of the environment and fair trade still has a pioneering place.
Without forgetting the creation and renovation of schools in India, drinking water points, vacination centers.
2 million euros in donations for the benefit of the victims of the tsunami.
This is the pulp.

So what are you and your friends doing in terms of ethics or in favor of poor countries that can give us ideas.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 05/06/07, 00:31

Nikolian wrote:
zac wrote:Apart from handymen like my friends and me; find me a large-scale company that is, even a zest, ethical.

2 come to mind

Danone (...) E.Leclerc

Don't let yourself be fooled Nikolian, if these companies are doing that, it's only because it costs them much less than a spot at 20 p.m. on TF1 and that it does a lot of good in their image.
Admittedly, there are meager results behind (images are needed for the "Ethics" marketing file) but compared to the means of these companies and their nuisances in other areas, it's a starling rupee.
While we are ecstatic about the exchangeable bags, nobody looks at the working conditions of the employees or the supply chains ... : Evil:
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
zac

by zac » 05/06/07, 04:16

Nikolian wrote:So what are you and your friends doing in terms of ethics or in favor of poor countries that can give us ideas.

Hello

we are already going there; it allows to REALLY know the real problems and it makes a transfer from north south.

then in bulk:
we learn to build solar ovens, 2000m² to gain in forest per year and per family and the kids who go to school instead of going to wood.

local species are replanted; it avoids erosion and it gives crust.

we give pills, it avoids families of 12 who are starving.

we mount pantones on groups etc ...............

And above all, we take the time to understand people so that we can teach them how to help themselves.

Nikolian not dreaming when the clerk stops his plastic bags he only aims 2 goals; take care of its image at low cost and sell its "reusable" boxes and bags. You haven't noticed that since there was no more bag there aren't any more, either, the traditional cardboard of recovery when leaving the crates.

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)

This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Nikolian
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Nikolian » 05/06/07, 11:08

You guys are doing a really great job.
Congratulations.

E. Leclerc does not have such laudable intentions as yours.
The primary goal of every business is to make money.
But it is still appreciable not to see so many plastic bags in nature.
I do not remember having seen boxes available at E. Leclerc but I remember that when they removed the plastic bags, it was not unanimous, there were when people shouted "Because it" is like that, I would go to Inter "
I do not think they have removed their plastic bags for the sake of profitability, otherwise Carrefour would have followed directly, Hors Carrefour took 10 years to follow suit, removing the plastic bag is much easier today or ecological mentalities are still more present.
So it's possible that building schools, cleaning up beaches, doing fair trade is a good way to advertise.
But I like this way of advertising
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 16/10/07, 23:52

A small article found in bourseorama.com, the source of which I do not know; it is quite obvious that there is already an interdependence between oil and cereals through bio fuel ==>

The price of wheat driven by oil
[14 / 06 / 07]
Granaries empty as never for a generation, prices at their highest for more than a decade: wheat no longer escapes the madness that has seized raw materials for more than five years. It is of course first and foremost the consequence of the whims of the sky. Last year, the winter was too cold in Ukraine and the autumn too dry in Australia. World production fell by 5% (- 4% in France). This year, the rains were too rare in Europe in March-April. They are now too abundant in the United States (third largest producer in the world), which delays the harvest and lowers the yield. If the climatic conditions are not exceptional for the moment, they nevertheless fuel fears of an irreversible change in the weather, which would weigh on production. Europe has already got rid of most of its intervention stocks, selling more than three million tonnes since last autumn. World wheat reserves would be in the order of two and a half months of consumption, one month less than the long-term average. And they will fall further, according to forecasts from the US Department of Agriculture.

If supply levels off, demand pressure is strong. Last year, India bought six million tonnes from abroad (1% of world production) whereas it had stayed away from the world market in previous years. This year, China has resumed its purchases. But another force is pushing prices up: the rise in power ... of biofuels, itself caused by the increase in oil prices. Certainly, wheat is poorly energy efficient. To produce the equivalent of French consumption of black gold from the golden grain, it would be necessary to cultivate fields as large as three times the country, beaches and mountains included! It is therefore very little distilled in ethanol. Maize is (a little) more profitable for making green fuel. In the United States, the Bush administration has made it the vehicle for regaining the country's energy independence, through massive subsidies.

Almost a tenth of global production is now distilled, and this proportion could double within two to three years. However, almost a quarter of world production is used to feed livestock. As American farmers increasingly prefer to bring their ears to the factory than to the farm, ranchers are turning ... to wheat to fill feeders. Once completely independent markets - oil and grains - are now connected. This is not just a marginal curiosity. If the price of bread remains stable for the moment in France (+ 0,1% in one year), it has increased by 4,5% in one year in the United States, i.e. 2% more than the average price for consumption. Before, “drink or drive, you had to choose”. Tomorrow, we will have to choose ... between eating and driving
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
the alcoolo1
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by the alcoolo1 » 31/10/07, 10:46

hello this is the first time that I post on econology and I did not take the time to read all this part of the forum(a lot of work) so maybe what I'm going to write has already been written.

Regarding biofuels, an INRA report stipulated that the energy yield was quite simply negative, in fact planting, harvesting and putting it on the market pollute more than the consumption of conventional fossil fuels such as petroleum.

To develop a bit on renewable energies I recently learned by visiting the LSO (a Nantes research laboratory) about the energies that it is possible to feed the entire planet with renewable energies such as wind power. and solar and therefore create the necessary energy whether in the form of H2 (although the logistics present some dangers) or batteries (although it will be necessary to find solutions to recycle them) to run the cars.

However, the problem comes as far as I am concerned more with the groups that paid for this research and monopolized the patents. They certainly do not want to use them for pecuniary profitability reasons.

That’s all I had to say thank you for your careful reading and forgive my horrible hortograph but it’s innate dear to me.
0 x
"The object of research is no longer the nature in itself, but the nature given to human interrogation, is to this extent the man meets here only himself." Werner Heisenberg
the alcoolo1
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by the alcoolo1 » 31/10/07, 11:27

it is remoi I had forgotten that the fact of using crops to make fuel is obviously a vector of increase in the price of cereals to break the seed and therefore a vector of famine in the poorest countries which do not were able to afford it.
0 x
"The object of research is no longer the nature in itself, but the nature given to human interrogation, is to this extent the man meets here only himself." Werner Heisenberg
Other

by Other » 11/11/07, 06:11

Hello
alcoolo1 wrote:it is remoi I had forgotten that the fact of using crops to make fuel is obviously a vector of increase in the price of cereals to break the seed and therefore a vector of famine in the poorest countries which do not were able to afford it.

this is the case in Brazil where the massive cultivation of sugar cane to replace that of corn which is the staple food of the poor population.
The cultivation of corn has been accentuated recently since the United States decided to reduce its energy dependence on oil. corn is one of the plants that requires the most fertilizer and ruins the soil (a full tank of an Ethanol car requires a quantity of corn that could feed a man annually.
Driving in a car comes before those who are starving?
To make methanol we should use inedible plants, forest residues and even the manufacturing process requires so much energy, that I am not on a positive balance.
Maize where sugar cane has a higher yield than herbaceous residue.

Andre
0 x
Sargeb
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Sargeb » 13/11/07, 17:01

I don't think biofuels are an environmentally friendly solution, I even believe they're worse than conventional oil. Particularly because of the rise in food prices that its exploitation implies.

See this article:

http://www.economiesolidaire.com/2007/04/03/le-biocarburant-est-il-veritablement-viable/
0 x
Visit my blog: Image