Slugs - girlfriends? enemies? the conference of Hervé Coves

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Slugs - girlfriends? enemies? the conference of Hervé Coves

by Did67 » 29/06/17, 22:14

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Besides, you can be a monk and an agronomist, these are the monks who, to my knowledge, have made the most progress in agronomic techniques.

But one can also be an old atheist donkey and yet an agronomist, I have names!

Some monasteries were, de facto, pioneers of "organic" ... Afterwards, beware: the monks were pioneers, drainers, not always cool in their conquest of spaces in the name of their god! Finally, they made the populations work ...

Who is this tea barrel?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/06/17, 22:35

I no longer know what relationship links him with the Franciscans, but certainly not a monk, since his profession is Agricultural engineer and researcher.

In a video from 2014, he explains that he works for the chamber of agriculture of Corrèze and talks about the results of his research on a holistic method to fight trips in strawberry crops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKheRZ2xf8

I find his sharing great and we can see that it is in all humility without taking anyone high. And I don't have the impression that he said that the balance that is obtained by using the auxiliaries prevents overflows and absolutely does not prohibit the use of phytos to save his crop.

When I treat my stupid dog, it doesn't matter since he doesn't care, but this way of taking others for fools denotes a very high opinion of himself and the fan club that I am ...

... A misunderstanding probably ... Go good evening.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 22:36

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
Besides, you can be a monk and an agronomist, these are the monks who, to my knowledge, have made the most progress in agronomic techniques.

But one can also be an old atheist donkey and yet an agronomist, I have names!

Some monasteries were, de facto, pioneers of "organic" ... Afterwards, beware: the monks were pioneers, drainers, not always cool in their conquest of spaces in the name of their god! Finally, they made the populations work ...

Who is this tea barrel?

clearers, drainers, certainly, but clearing and draining in medieval France when you want to produce because you are facing famines is not necessarily illogical. Well, quite honestly I just have a "varnish" on the influence of the abbeys on the agronomy of the time despite everything, I do not wish to enter into a debate!

On the "tea barrel", you will allow me to respect the good behavior of this forum and therefore not to name names.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 22:44

izentrop wrote:I no longer know what relationship links him with the Franciscans, but certainly not a monk, since his profession is Agricultural engineer and researcher.

Because monk is a job?

http://www.eglise.catholique.fr/sengage ... t-au-vert/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/06/17, 22:57

I read somewhere that he was an "oblate". But I wonder if among the Franciscans, this is not what they call a monk?

There are "open" orders, where people sometimes carry out activities, and therefore sometimes have trades. And others very closed, even totally enclosed.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/06/17, 23:10

izentrop wrote: And I don't have the impression that he said that the balance that is obtained by using the auxiliaries prevents overflows and absolutely does not prohibit the use of phytos to save his crop.

When I treat my stupid dog, it doesn't matter since he doesn't care, but this way of taking others for fools denotes a very high opinion of himself and the fan club that I am ...

... A misunderstanding probably ... Go good evening.

I did not watch the video again. I have an approximate memory of it.

The remark, in which I qualify the conviction (not a person) of idiocy (I could have written stupidity) is obviously not addressed to him. I had in mind these "articles" where on the internet, everywhere, when you have a problem with a parasite, someone will explain to you that it is because your vegetable garden is "unbalanced" ... annoys. The criticism can be justified when it comes to conventional agriculture, with dead soils. But which deserves qualification when we speak of living systems, which nevertheless "slip" from the point of view of men. The meeting of several "waves" which can cause such or such parasite, temporarily, to exceed the thresholds of "tolerance" ...

I made the point while watching that I found it unfortunate that it does not clarify this question any more.

I specify that I have not seen the video on aphids (recently discovered in the "spontaneous" proposals of Youtube), nor the one on Thrips.

Let me be clear: Hervé Covès is someone I have recommended to people who asked me questions about slugs.
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 29/06/17, 23:14

to speak slugs, there is one thing of which i am sure:
apart from one or the other passing hedgehog from time to time (this has been the case for a few days now), I will NEVER be able to count on any auxiliary of the "beetle" type because I NEVER see any, I 'came to the conclusion that in my house there is none .. The last year, I was invaded by slugs and groupers, never the slightest ground beetle or staphylin on the horizon!

I do not deny that these beasts can meet in areas of hedges, wasteland, forests, but my vegetable patch is too far away, and there are cultivated fields between, this is probably the explanation ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 29/06/17, 23:28

izentrop wrote: this way of taking others for fools

it's the opposite: for Didier "Coves is a good agronomist"
see this message agriculture / the-garden-of-lazy-to-Dordogne-t15205-50.html # p320027
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/06/17, 23:29

Did67 wrote:I read somewhere that he was an "oblate". But I wonder if among the Franciscans, this is not what they call a monk?

There are "open" orders, where people sometimes carry out activities, and therefore sometimes have trades. And others very closed, even totally enclosed.

No, he's a monk, just type "Hervé Coves Franciscan" on your search engine to convince you, I put a link on an article two posts above.

Of course I have nothing against the fact that he is a monk. It just started from a remark comparing him in his attitude to a monk.

But once again, monk, it is not a profession .... I admit having no idea, but what is in France today the number of "officials" of the Catholic Church who live only of the money of worship?

Well, that takes us a lot away from the slugs, which were the basic subject ....
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/06/17, 09:30

Julienmos wrote:
it's the opposite: for Didier "Coves is a good agronomist"
see this message agriculture / the-garden-of-lazy-to-Dordogne-t15205-50.html # p320027

Thank you for digging up this passage, I did not remember it any more. This supports what I wrote above regarding my opinion on Covès, since I wrote before this unfortunate controversy.

It remains that :

a) I often write too fast, between two things ...

b) I jump from the particular case (the position of such - here Covès) to the general, without warning ; what so-and-so says makes me think of what is written on the net, where I see a lot of "bullshit" (I think that's the right word then). I react to this bullshit. It is the quality defect of reasoning in a "systemic approach" ("everything is in everything").

So the fact remains that in the form, in the expression of this or that post, I am wrong. Like here.

I would say that I will correct myself. But we don't change like that. So i would say i will try on our creations not to go too fast sometimes.
0 x