Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Moindreffor » 19/01/18, 17:57

Did67 wrote:1) I only planted garlic purchased. I did not pay attention if the year of production was indicated on the label!

2) I nevertheless think I can answer your question in the affirmative with almost certainty: I had garlic sprouts from buds that I had forgotten to harvest ("failures", remained in the ground; 'autumn)

I remember that my father, replanted those of the previous year like the shallots (for the shallot I am certain I always did like that : Mrgreen: except when I ate it all)
but for garlic, I think that we actually have to plant the bigger ones, because as we ate the bigger ones, he only replanted the small ones, from which a harvest was not always up to par, after it was a souvenir, not experienced

for the shallot, a beautiful plant gives good, a little gives a little, too big does not give a lot, the best is the means, means more, when I made my plan I always started not eating the small ones then the very large
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 19/01/18, 19:39

Me, the certain memory is that in the spring of the year N + 1 we replanted the cloves of the harvest of the year N. There, I am formal. I did it, with my parents.

But the question is: does it work for the fall plantings of year N? I think so, but cannot be 100% affirmative. Since the cloves forgotten on the ground this year have risen this fall ...
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 19/01/18, 19:54

Did67 wrote:Me, the certain memory is that in the spring of the year N + 1 we replanted the cloves of the harvest of the year N. There, I am formal. I did it, with my parents.

But the question is: does it work for the fall plantings of year N? I think so, but cannot be 100% affirmative. Since the cloves forgotten on the ground this year have risen this fall ...

the same, but my father was talking about summer garlic and winter garlic and I don't remember which one he planted, probably summer garlic because as he was very busy professionally he was always late in the garden and so often in April, it was a great digging and sowing in stride, see early May and often well it made up for the delay on the neighbors (and therefore I do not panic with the delay in heating due to the hay layer either)

so is there really summer garlic to plant in March and winter garlic to plant before winter?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/01/18, 20:05

Did67 wrote:Me, the certain memory is that in the spring of the year N + 1 we replanted the cloves of the harvest of the year N. There, I am formal. I did it, with my parents.

But the question is: does it work for the fall plantings of year N?

Basically, my question is more about the preservation of garlic. I can't do it (from the harvest in the summer until around February-March for a spring plantation), maybe some do.

While planting a summer crop around October, no worries. In addition to the blow there is no longer any problem of space in the garden.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/01/18, 20:10

Moindreffor wrote:so is there really summer garlic to plant in March and winter garlic to plant before winter?

According to the catalogs, yes.

Now if you reverse and plant garlic in October rather planned for February / March or vice versa, I am unable to say what is going on!

In both cases (inverted or not inverted) you harvest in summer anyway.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 19/01/18, 22:48

Hi,
I planted shallots and garlic this fall this fall, keeping the central for the kitchen. It started to rise in December,
I'm there tomorrow, I'll post a photo.
the real answer in summer.
Olivier.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/01/18, 11:49

The question of conservation, in fact, arises.

I also already have onions, shallots, sprouting garlic ...

And I still haven't found anything conclusive as to whether the story that garlic germs are carcinogenic is another legend. Or if it's true.
1 x
stylo67
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stylo67 » 20/01/18, 14:24

Hello I am surprised to read that the garlic germs are carcinogenic + - + - below 2 opinions among others that I found on garlic germs:

1)-the benefits of garlic sprouts are still very little known

The researchers knew that the seedlings, by turning into green plants, produced many compounds, including those that protect the plant against pathogens. Researcher Jong-Sang Kim explains, “Plants are very susceptible to attack by bacteria, viruses and insects during germination. This causes them to produce a variety of chemicals called phytoalexins which allow them to defend themselves. Most of these substances are toxic to microorganisms and insects, but beneficial to human health ".

Kim's team of scientists states that a similar process can occur when green shoots emerge from old cloves of garlic. Other studies had already revealed that sprouted beans and grains offered richer antioxidant profiles than non-sprouted varieties, which decided the team to study the case of garlic sprouts and their antioxidant levels .

What the researchers found:
Extracts from a clove of garlic that germinated for 5 days have the highest antioxidant activity, while extracts from raw garlic had, relatively, low antioxidant activity. In addition, it can be said that germination changed the profile of garlic metabolites: the profile of garlic metabolites that germinated for 5-6 days is distinct from the profile of garlic metabolites that germinated during 0 to 4 days, which confirms that garlic that germinated for 5 days has the strongest antioxidant activity.

The researchers concluded that germination could be a viable method for increasing the antioxidant potential of garlic.

However, they are not yet certain of the exact mechanisms behind the high levels of antioxidants found in sprouted garlic.

2)
Garlic sprouts, or green sprouts on garlic cloves, are commonly considered unusable and routinely thrown in the trash. While some sprouted foods can be dangerous because they release toxic chemicals that can harm the body does not, however, garlic - quite the contrary. Indeed, a study funded by the Korea Institute of Planning and Assessment for Technology, which was recently published in the ACS Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, demonstrates that sprouted garlic has antioxidant properties more pronounced than in a fresh garlic clove.
But little is known about the benefits of garlic sprouts

The researchers knew that the seedlings, by turning into green plants, produced many compounds, including those that protect the plant against pathogens. Researcher Jong-Sang Kim explains, “Plants are very susceptible to attack by bacteria, viruses and insects during germination. This causes them to produce a variety of chemicals called phytoalexins which allow them to defend themselves. Most of these substances are toxic to microorganisms and insects, but beneficial to human health ".

Kim's team of scientists states that a similar process can occur when green shoots emerge from old cloves of garlic. Other studies had already revealed that sprouted beans and grains offered richer antioxidant profiles than non-sprouted varieties, which decided the team to study the case of garlic sprouts and their antioxidant levels .

What the researchers found
Extracts from a clove of garlic that germinated for 5 days have the highest antioxidant activity, while extracts from raw garlic had, relatively, low antioxidant activity. In addition, it can be said that germination changed the profile of garlic metabolites: the profile of garlic metabolites that germinated for 5-6 days is distinct from the profile of garlic metabolites that germinated during 0 to 4 days, which confirms that garlic that germinated for 5 days has the strongest antioxidant activity.

The researchers concluded that germination could be a viable method for increasing the antioxidant potential of garlic.

However, they are not yet certain of the exact mechanisms behind the high levels of antioxidants found in sprouted garlic.
0 x
Mixieer56
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Mixieer56 » 20/01/18, 14:48

Hello,
Do you know Pascal Poot who has grown hundreds of old varieties of tomatoes, zucchini, etc. for 30 years without watering. He resells his enduring seeds to diseases and drought.
0 x
"Make a mess of your garden and order your ideas!" Didier Helmstetter
Did67

by Did67 » 20/01/18, 14:53

[edit: response to stylo67]

1) I did not do the necessary research to decide. Hence the expression of a doubt with me, in my first post.

2) The two sources you give are for me the same. This is typical of redundancies on the net. One day, about aldehydes in ferns, I found, repeated 7 times, to the word, the same statement. And it all went back to a search result, of Japanese origin, which I ended up finding in English. Quite serious.

But the anti-slug efficacy the sites inferred was an extrapolation, without any "proof". A typical guess. Even repeated 1 times, a stupidity remains a stupidity.

Alas, this is also how false news, fashions spread ... Hemophiliac moles. Iron-rich spinach ...

3) The "reasoning" advanced is for me typically a "pseudo-scientific reasoning": of course that the germ will defend itself ... By defending itself, living organisms produce effective substances - from their point of view. Some of which are precisely toxic to their competitors - this is the very principle of a defense! And it can be for mammals, sometimes including humans!

So for me it is flawed reasoning. And I do not take this "Professor Kim" at face value ... For me, distrust.

4) That said, this statement that garlic germs are toxic or carcinogenic has always left me a bit dubious too. Without evidence.
2 x