Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Doris » 17/01/22, 17:41

Moindreffor wrote:I think we've reached a limit here, a bit like Didier with his fennel, we have to rethink in terms of "territory" said a wise man : Mrgreen: , and as always rethinking the future of our vegetables, they end up on our plates and a little tour of regional recipes would surely help us to better choose our seeds...

You're right, of course I'm not in a "typical" terroir for celeriac, nor for endives for that matter. But it amuses me, and I manage to obtain a very correct result in terms of quantity/size, and a great result in terms of taste. My raves are far superior to anything I've ever bought, and it's worth it. Besides, I learned not very long ago that we used to grow this crop here, with very early varieties. But it was at a time, when the sector still contained a good amount of organic matter. Now even the soil of the Landes forest never regenerates again, since the pines are cut down when they are 35 or 40 years old, the stumps are extracted, to replant very quickly, and the stumps will make pellets. But people don't see that already, so how do you expect them to understand for the vegetable garden. In short, my celery grows bigger year after year, and success with me depends mainly on very early sowing.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 17/01/22, 18:18

Moindreffor wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Aye I did a test on the most “cold” “heated” trunk to close the sides to it
At first I had gone for a dubbing similar to the rest, that is to say double partition and sheep's wool, but hey, I got ready for the most urgent to see what it was like.

The result was not long in coming here is the comparison of the readings before and the one after
We went from -1.2 to -10.1
At +3.1 for -10.2
We would have suspected it but it's better when we see it
To see how it develops inside but there is a good chance that I will engage with other chests.

in winter, the length of the day is already a limiting factor, so a little more a little less light : Mrgreen: on the other hand, going from -1.2 to +3.1 is important for what you are trying to do, your chests are something else again compared to a classic chassis

I will see your trunks at my house to try to make the pepper or eggplant plants pass the winter, maybe the small peppers present on the plants at the beginning of autumn would still develop, for the tomatoes, I I hesitate because it is a vegetable that develops much more in size and the fruits form at the end of the stems, so you have to let it develop to always have flowers

We could try it but this fall it was a failure on the 2021 tomatoes which withered away.

Not sure that the conditions were optimal either since the cords arrived quite late, the damage may have been done, but consider trying the experience in 2022 why not.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 17/01/22, 18:31

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:I will see your trunks at my house to try to make the pepper or eggplant plants pass the winter, maybe the small peppers present on the plants at the beginning of autumn would still develop, for the tomatoes, I I hesitate because it is a vegetable that develops much more in size and the fruits form at the end of the stems, so you have to let it develop to always have flowers

We could try it but this fall it was a failure on the 2021 tomatoes which withered away.

Not sure that the conditions were optimal either since the cords arrived quite late, the damage may have been done, but consider trying the experience in 2022 why not.

On peppers and aubergines it can work, I have seen it work in a cold greenhouse here. For tomatoes I'm skeptical, unless you really heat and control the hygrometry, but I could be wrong.
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/01/22, 18:46

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:I think we've reached a limit here, a bit like Didier with his fennel, we have to rethink in terms of "territory" said a wise man : Mrgreen: , and as always rethinking the future of our vegetables, they end up on our plates and a little tour of regional recipes would surely help us to better choose our seeds...

You're right, of course I'm not in a "typical" terroir for celeriac, nor for endives for that matter. But it amuses me, and I manage to obtain a very correct result in terms of quantity/size, and a great result in terms of taste. My raves are far superior to anything I've ever bought, and it's worth it. Besides, I learned not very long ago that we used to grow this crop here, with very early varieties. But it was at a time, when the sector still contained a good amount of organic matter. Now even the soil of the Landes forest never regenerates again, since the pines are cut down when they are 35 or 40 years old, the stumps are extracted, to replant very quickly, and the stumps will make pellets. But people don't see that already, so how do you expect them to understand for the vegetable garden. In short, my celery grows bigger year after year, and success with me depends mainly on very early sowing.

maybe you have to do the same thing with endives, as you can store the roots, you can pull them out before they go to seed, or since they don't go up, cultivate them in another way : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/01/22, 18:49

Doris wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:I will see your trunks at my house to try to make the pepper or eggplant plants pass the winter, maybe the small peppers present on the plants at the beginning of autumn would still develop, for the tomatoes, I I hesitate because it is a vegetable that develops much more in size and the fruits form at the end of the stems, so you have to let it develop to always have flowers

On peppers and aubergines it can work, I have seen it work in a cold greenhouse here. For tomatoes I'm skeptical, unless you really heat and control the hygrometry, but I could be wrong.

I have the video of Didier in audio, at the moment, and therefore yes hygrometry difficult to regulate
I am currently also looking for information on hygrometry, but not for vegetable reasons : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 17/01/22, 19:12

Moindreffor wrote:maybe you have to do the same thing with endives, as you can store the roots, you can pull them out before they go to seed, or since they don't go up, cultivate them in another way : Mrgreen:

Yes, maybe well. Endives prove to me that nothing is impossible in the south with cooler and humid climate vegetables, but their crops hold a few surprises. Like, for example, switching from a biennial vegetable to a triennial : Mrgreen:
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/01/22, 20:48

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:maybe you have to do the same thing with endives, as you can store the roots, you can pull them out before they go to seed, or since they don't go up, cultivate them in another way : Mrgreen:

Yes, maybe well. Endives prove to me that nothing is impossible in the south with cooler and humid climate vegetables, but their crops hold a few surprises. Like, for example, switching from a biennial vegetable to a triennial : Mrgreen:

they take southern habits, the nap time lengthens the seed run by a year : Mrgreen:
1 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 17/01/22, 22:20

Moindreffor wrote:they take southern habits, the nap time lengthens the seed run by a year : Mrgreen:

And yes, the sweetness of life in the South-West is a dream, even Nordic vegetables love it : Mrgreen:
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 21/01/22, 23:42

Yeah well for sweetness it's ambivalent with us
It's only beautiful
Suddenly very cold at night and “very hot” during the day

I'm not drawing you

2022-01-21_234225.jpg
2022-01-21_234225.jpg (197.05 KIO) Accessed 843 times

In the meantime, we have picked up all the Brussels sprouts: illustration

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/01/22, 08:43

Doris wrote:.... Like, for example, switching from a biennial vegetable to a triennial

With warming, it may be that "the need for cold" is no longer satisfied in some years!

In a tropical climate, many fruit trees do not produce: our pome or stone trees, olive trees, citrus... Strawberries... They do not vernalize, so no flowering, so no fruit...

No doubt that some vegetables with "big need for cold" (leeks?) jump, at home, a year with mild winter?
1 x