Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Rajqawee » 28/07/21, 12:55

Did67 wrote:
Rajqawee wrote:I did not watch, but I am surprised: he is not a professional gardener in the marvelous garden? With 100% of losses, it is problematic no ...

I think that like many, he has additional income, linked to training?

And anyway, if some vegetables are very affected or even wiped out, others are doing like charms ... As long as with a "niche production" (perma, proximity, organic), with a certain charisma , it is not subject to the game of competition, this is not a problem.

These are the unfortunate "main stream" producers, conventional or organic, who have "tight" budgets, possibly debts to repay, employees to pay ... And there, the margins are low. And an "accident" very quickly leads to bankruptcy.

The alternative models do not have these constraints: self-construction (often with a lot of "free" woofing trainees, recovery materials, etc.) therefore no debts, very few inputs (therefore little "down payment" before harvest). They are therefore very resilient.

The only "problem": one feeds 99,9% of French people (probably more!), The other goes in the media, on TV, on Youtube and feeds some French people!

This poses several questions !!!! (for those who want to think; for those who feed on a "beautiful story", for the media on the lookout for a sensation, the second model is a blessing!)

Yep, I quite agree. I too see that the tomato years are not zucchini years, and vice versa :)

That said, from the point of view of the market gardener, it remains the disaster: vegetables that work well, everyone has them. Even, has too many. So the prices are low (seen yesterday at the market by my wife in the region, zucchini at 1 € / kg, 8 € / 10kg ....). Conversely, the "rare" crops of the year will sell for a high price.

in short, I think like you that there is probably additional income next to it (but why not eh!), to be able to display its 100% loss like that!
I would like to have the same video of the cagnolles farm, who had presented their agricultural report, and who claimed to derive an income for the operator and an employee on the sole agricultural activity, proof of a model which works.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 28/07/21, 14:05

Did67 wrote:
Doris wrote:You just have enough sensitivity not to complain. As do the French, who see ONLY black! You also see white. And suddenly, you are delighted ...

I wanted precisely to enlarge my vegetable garden by a lot, to diversify the cultures, my goal not being mainly to produce such and such thing, but to harvest all the year. Having seen the weather in late spring and early summer, I increased the sowing of beets, turnips and Chinese cabbage. At the beginning of the year also I tried to have a lot of very diversified seedlings and to play on several tables. And sometimes a living soil creates pretty surprises for you: today I was thinking of pulling up some of my potatoes, until I came across a plant, which was looking quite salty recently, but which is rebuilding. greenery. I didn't treat the potatoes, they recovered on their own, better weather, less disease pressure, and I think too, a system that is starting to work well
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 14:38

Rajqawee wrote:
in short, I think like you that there is probably additional income next to it (but why not eh!), to be able to display its 100% loss like that!
I would like to have the same video of the cagnolles farm, who had presented their agricultural report, and who claimed to derive an income for the operator and an employee on the sole agricultural activity, proof of a model which works.

1) Why not, indeed. I am not criticizing. I am trying to discern and describe a "system". With its limits.

2) Cagnolle, although "disguised" as a permaculturist, is much better agronomist and much more realistic - see his point of view on tarpaulins. Even if, in my opinion, he is a little wrong on one or the other of his analyzes. But he also has plenty of things that are going to work brilliantly: sweet potatoes, onions, etc ...

3) What you describe ("low price"), applies to the basic model: those who are in the competition. Cagnolle, like the Jardin d'Emerveille, is not there. Cagnolle maybe a little more ... They are in niches and ALSO sell affective ... What I call (by mockery it is true, there), the "rutabagas at 12,90 € per kilo that ailments come to pick up in a Porsche Cayenne for their evening reception ".
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 28/07/21, 16:08

Did67 wrote:Strongly that I finish mine, where I show that I do not give up! (although I don't know how this will end)

But it's good that some "enchanters" admit "limits" to their "method" !!!

Didier, you have 3 "perfects", take full advantage ..... because I am far from this performance. But I do with it like you did in the past.
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 28/07/21, 16:44

As far as I know, the Jardin d'Emerveille is not a market gardener, but a nurseryman. His vegetables are for his personal consumption.

Moreover, even very interventionist gardeners have been defeated by late blight this year.

Everyone is faced with their own difficulties, we should refrain from judging others too much. No one likes to be the object of malicious criticism or mockery.
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 28/07/21, 17:34

VetusLignum wrote:As far as I know, the Jardin d'Emerveille is not a market gardener, but a nurseryman. His vegetables are for his personal consumption.

Moreover, even very interventionist gardeners have been defeated by late blight this year.

Everyone is faced with their own difficulties, we should refrain from judging others too much. No one likes to be the object of malicious criticism or mockery.

Ah, that changes everything! It wasn't a mockery, though. It's just that I know that for a lot of farmers, a 100% failure on a crop can be the key!

Thank you for bringing this clarification!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 28/07/21, 17:50

We were spared all your misfortunes ... we take advantage, if it can cheer you up

The last part of the tomatoes with those which have developed well and in addition a small test of natural staking with bindweed

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 20:23

VetusLignum wrote:As far as I know, the Jardin d'Emerveille is not a market gardener, but a nurseryman. His vegetables are for his personal consumption.

I did not laugh at the difficulties with mildew. I reacted to possible financial problems.

I have tried to describe what I analyze as systems. If to emphasize the limits of a system is to make fun of it, then a form of permaculture dictatorship takes hold. As stupid as when the FNSEA denies the limits of the productivist model! Single thought is no better on one side than the other.

I would like you to tell me where there is mockery in what I wrote? Trainees / woofing? It's in one of his videos (I stumbled upon it by chance, on this passage, by the way!) ...

I quite like what he does. But to say that he does not live only on the production of vegetables, is that mocking?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/07/21, 21:44

Tonight, this comment under my last video:

Hello Didier
In June 2015 I had a tiller accident. With a hair near I could have left my skin there. During my long convalescence I searched the net for a way to garden without ever touching this damn thing. And there surprise, I discovered the vegetable garden of the sloth. So you changed my life. I began to observe rather than do what I had previously done mechanically without much pleasure. Then in 2018 the doctors discovered a brain tumor in me. Didier without knowing it you certainly saved my life. I only thought of surviving to put your advice into practice !! What more can I say to you my deep and sincere gratitude. Out of respect as we respected our masters I had never contacted you but by this little note I hope to have knocked out all these trolls who are not worth your reading.
Regards
Jean-Luc

"

Strange. Jean-Luc says he never contacted me. Shortly after the release of my first book, I received an email from someone telling me that he had just devoured my book (that was the word) in one go, that he was in the hospital and that 'he had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor, so anyway, he couldn't get any sleep ... And he concluded: "WHEN I get out (in the future), I'll try ..." [And not " If I get away with it, I would do this or that ... "]

I think morale plays into the chances of recovery, but I think it was the doctors who saved Jean-Luc. No amalgamation!
0 x
Insomnia
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Insomnia » 28/07/21, 22:45

Coincidence .. I post anyway.
Hello
Three photos to thank and pay tribute to our dear Did67.
All this, after germination of a small seed caught by chance during a television news program that you never watch except ... whereas until then I was content to only cultivate half a dozen tomato plants. Two bales of hay later here is the result (luck of the beginners helping?) On a clayey ground to perfection (brickyard a little further on this Garonne hillside).
Thank you Didier for your messages full of nuance, compromise and tolerance in these times of radicalization in all directions.

edit moderation: HS photos, repost them with the attachment function please
0 x