Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/03/21, 23:15

Biobombe wrote:Image

Photo of this day of my garlic transplanted in early November.

Below is a detail showing that their foliage has suffered from - 15 ° C

Impressive the difference in development ... mine, certainly a second generation (or even a 3rd in another place) regrowth
of those left in the ground, just come out.

What corner are you in?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/03/21, 23:19

During the previous measurements the 3 and 5 were 2 different bioclimatic chests

The 3 completed with its 2 rows of bottles
The 5 with a single row
Suddenly the 5 showed memory at least 2 degrees less than the 3

Since then I mounted the second row on the 5 and ..... the measurements have become similar: CQFD

For the record, the 1 is the exterior
2 the greenhouse
The 4 a normal chest without bottles

the two bioclim in unison.jpg
les deux bioclim à unisson.jpg (82.53 KiB) Viewed 1017 times

NB at the time I write this post I have in the background the last show of the friend with whom I would drink a good beer (or a ti punch) and I see that he talks about the subject

So a thank you to him, he will recognize himself Image
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/03/21, 08:48

Boris70 wrote:
Absolutely! I had posted a similar photo this fall on a group, what didn't I have as a negative reaction !! In short, I only had to sow my vegetable garden on the flagstones of the terrace : Lol: While it was only an observation on the tenacity of the living and a plea to stop slaughtering the ground.

Listen to Brassens again: "No, good people don't like us to follow other paths than them!"

A plea to stop slaughtering the ground is a punch in the face for many! A questioning that they cannot accept. So they respond. With a punch. In the void...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/03/21, 08:52

Doris wrote:
My curiosity prevailed, with my husband we decided by an absolute majority to let it grow,

Ah, these couples are wonderful !!!!

[In my last video, you will see Laurence doing her crop tests with the lunar calendar - she's really into it. Well, I have to be careful to garden well enough in "contra-lunar" not to give it reason too easily; because it is there, the real stake: good gardening or bad gardening]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/03/21, 08:59

VetusLignum wrote:For my part, I have found that storing garlic outside or inside does not change its propensity to germinate.
In addition, I have so many kinds of garlic that I am unable to predict from the color whether it will germinate in the fall or in the spring (in fact, they germinate more or less continuously between the autumn and spring). This distinction may relate to the main varieties used in France.
But if you wanted to do a full video on garlic and its varieties, you might need to allow at least 8 hours ...
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ail_cultiv%C3%A9
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic

Yes. I think it's more complicated:

- than what we say in general
- than what I say in the video

For next year, I'm going to make a "binder" with all the "scientific info". Because obviously, the picture is blurred by "habits and customs" - spring (or autumn) garlic? Is it like "winter leeks" which are leeks to be grown in summer to consume them in winter? Or like winter wheat, to be sown in autumn so that it overwinters and vernalizes and blooms? Or like "winter lettuce" which is lettuce sown in the fall, to grow very early in the spring ???

I spoke too fast.

Even if one of the ideas remains: plant them as soon as possible, because bulking will be done according to the length of the days ... With still variations: varieties of short days, varieties of long days ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 03/03/21, 09:07

Did67 wrote:[In my last video, you will see Laurence doing her crop tests with the lunar calendar - she's really into it. Well, I have to be careful to garden well enough in "contra-lunar" not to give it reason too easily; because it is there, the real stake: good gardening or bad gardening]

I left to play with the moon, at the request of friends, you'll see, with the radishes you'll see the difference ... They don't trust me, they came to see, or I sowed against and with the moon . Long live confidence !!! It is clear that for the moment the prettiest are those sown on the bad moon, and on the bad days. Let's see, what they will find as an explanation.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 03/03/21, 09:10

VetusLignum wrote:... I don't know if this is a reality, or just a pretext to make gardeners pay more.

Well, we have the right to be an "anti-system" trend activist ...

But this is a much more substantiated fact than the influence of the moon.

With my father, I have always observed this "degeneration", because we re-used our cloves. In fact, I only observed it when we bought original seeds, which gave "better" crops. We were used to the "average" size of our "degenerate" garlic ... As we get used to virosed potatoes and their reduced productivity - we find that normal, until the day we come across a crop of the same variety before unharmed plants!

Then, the importance of the phenomenon is surely very dependent on the mode of culture: intensity, non-living soils, insufficient rotation cycles, etc ... So clearly more evident in commercial culture - conventional or "organic". Surely also because then, we count!

Like everything, these nematodes do not "fall from the sky". So if you leave with unscathed seed in your corner, and garden in living soil, there may be some time before it becomes a major problem. Or never will! Rust will undoubtedly come first.
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 03/03/21, 10:07

Did67 wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:... I don't know if this is a reality, or just a pretext to make gardeners pay more.

Well, we have the right to be an "anti-system" trend activist ...

But this is a much more substantiated fact than the influence of the moon.

With my father, I have always observed this "degeneration", because we re-used our cloves. In fact, I only observed it when we bought original seeds, which gave "better" crops. We were used to the "average" size of our "degenerate" garlic ... As we get used to virosed potatoes and their reduced productivity - we find that normal, until the day we come across a crop of the same variety before unharmed plants!

Then, the importance of the phenomenon is surely very dependent on the mode of culture: intensity, non-living soils, insufficient rotation cycles, etc ... So clearly more evident in commercial culture - conventional or "organic". Surely also because then, we count!

Like everything, these nematodes do not "fall from the sky". So if you leave with unscathed seed in your corner, and garden in living soil, there may be some time before it becomes a major problem. Or never will! Rust will undoubtedly come first.

we mentioned garlic last year I believe and did not mention their fertilization, so garlic would still need more than what we would like to say, and if not for crop rotation, not far from home Me, there is a corner renowned for its garlic, so we have garlic producers, and so if we have to rotate with years without garlic why would a small territory be specialized in this culture? This specialization does not date from the marketing of phytosanitary products. a peculiarity of the soil?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/03/21, 11:31

Did67 wrote:
Doris wrote:
My curiosity prevailed, with my husband we decided by an absolute majority to let it grow,

Ah, these couples are wonderful !!!!

[In my last video, you will see Laurence doing her crop tests with the lunar calendar - she's really into it. Well, I have to be careful to garden well enough in "contra-lunar" not to give it reason too easily; because it is there, the real stake: good gardening or bad gardening]

Obviously I don't believe in gardening with the moon either.

On the other hand, if this is combined with a good weather window, it can create an illusion

In reality I believe much more in the influence of "conditions" and in gardening with the weather in any case as much as possible, ie by recreating ideal conditions for each crop.
Conditions = weather but also temperature and humidity of the soil, variations day night, humidity, fertility and probably other parameters that I do not know

Still, it is not easy either because already it is necessary
- know what is best for each crop when sowing or transplanting
- be familiar with the parameters mentioned above
- have good weather windows or be able to recreate them
and I must forget

In short, if for such and such a vegetable you sow or transplant with the moon and if by chance some of the conditions mentioned above are favorable to you, you will kneel in front of the night star when it is strictly for nothing

After all depends what is meant by favorable
If you sow radishes and you want it to rise quickly you're going to break your ass to do this
But you can also ... don't care

We must therefore add another factor the PFH, that is to say the psychology of each gardener: we did not leave the hostel
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/03/21, 12:19

Moindreffor wrote:
we mentioned garlic last year I believe and did not mention their fertilization, so garlic would still need more than what we would like to say, and if not for crop rotation, not far from home Me, there is a corner renowned for its garlic, so we have garlic producers, and so if we have to rotate with years without garlic why would a small territory be specialized in this culture? This specialization does not date from the marketing of phytosanitary products. a peculiarity of the soil?

In "intensive", organic or conventional cultivation, garlic is fertilized.

It is the addition of manure that is everywhere discouraged. Over 5 or 6 years, in my "hay beds", I have not observed any negative effect - neither on yields (quite the contrary; even if I'm not sure!), Nor on conservation!

Volume 2 of the ITAB Technical Guide "Producing organic vegetables / Technical sheets per vegetable (the bible for organic professionals; and a reference that I use a lot, even if I don't use it at all: fertilization, treatments, preparation) from the ground, I sit on it!), predicts:
- mobilizations up to NPK 70/70/150
- exports of NPK 70/25/45

The “traditions” and therefore the “terroirs” often have multiple and complex causes: it is the encounter of people with a terroir (soil - climate - exposure)!

It may be that there is a determining influence of the soil - in particular the natural presence of sulfur (today, the absence is "erased" by fertilizers and ... pollution!). In the village next to my parents' one, we went from a limestone-type base in the Paris basin (Lorraine type) to sandy soils on sandstone from the Vosges. With us, garlic did well. In the neighboring village, with the same plants, grown the same, the result was ridiculous!

But sometimes, it was know-how: a particular "selection", jealously guarded. Or a technique ...

Often the climate ...
0 x