Type of soil?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Type of soil?

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 26/08/18, 01:40

Leo Maximus wrote:
nico239 wrote:... You can always try to leave a corner where you do nothing: remove the pebbles or upgrade and compare ....

This comparison, I can do it! It was completely unintentional at first, it is not in the kitchen garden but whatever, the comparison can be made.

There are 3 years I planted a hundred iris. I first put eighty along a wall, in a soil that was sifted to a thickness of about 40 cm. The rest on a mound where the earth has not been sifted but simply cleared of the largest pebbles.

I put a handful of compost at the planting of each rhizome.

Photo of the irises planted along the wall in a thickness of 40 cm of sieved earth:

Iris in sieved earth.

Photo of the irises planted on the mound of "raw" earth, soil which is already better than the original soil:

Iris in rough ground.jpg
The smartphone gives the scale.

Irises planted in the mound of raw earth never bloomed. They are 3 at 4 times less high.

There's no picture ... :) To each his way of doing things.

Image the same but upside down ...

I planted lavender in dry, stony soil and it's like a charm ...

I planted it in peat and it vegetates ...

The same at the place?

I planted ferns in a dry and stony ground and she vegetates

I planted it in moorland and its fronds are beautiful ...

The irises love the light earth and even worse it develops almost on nothing, I recovered in species of carpet of grass and leaves with a layer of symbolic earth and they were giant ...

In short if you put them in the right place they will develop better than if you put them in a less favorable place Image It makes sense

Just below the house there is a big mound of stone with a few cm of soil filled with iris ... these are not the most fantastic ones I've seen but there are nevertheless dozens of them develop in the state ... say wild since they are nobody (photo to come)

Many things can grow in clay with pebbles and without tillage.
I've often illustrated salads that grow in hard-foot like concrete.

In short the pebbles have been removed, now only to put them back to improve the drainage and decompaction of the clay Image.... I'm joking. Image
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 26/08/18, 07:37

Leo Maximus wrote:These iris are on a mound of 0,6 m high in the center. They are planted at the bottom of the hillock. The surface where they are planted is horizontal (in the photo we see that the ground goes back behind) and almost at the same level as the irises planted along the wall a little further (+ 10 cm maybe). They are facing south like those along the wall and they are watered more frequently because I find them weak. The only difference is the pebbles.

This is a great opportunity to see what it is! I will dig them up and then put them back in the same earth but sifted this time. In addition it's the season! We will see the result next year. It makes 600 700 kg of soil to sift, it is the moment because the earth is rather dry. I will make photos as and when.

Everyone sees noon at his door
you're quite right to move your irises if they do not give anything where they are, I'll do the same, after you can believe it's because of pebbles, or lack of soil, if you look at the roofs of stubble, sometimes there are irises to plant all the way up, do not ask me why, but I have seen many times, up there no sifted earth no pebbles : Mrgreen:

that whoever wants to sort the pebbles do it, me it does not bother me, I personally will not do it, because I think it's useless, I'll try with and if by chance I'll be wrong I'll remove them after tests,

so our friend can make the comparison, a corner without a corner with, same plant same way to cultivate and he sees, if not he does as he thinks
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 27/08/18, 18:12

Moindreffor wrote:...Everyone sees noon at his door...

Absolutely! :)
Moindreffor wrote:... if you look at the thatched roofs, there are sometimes irises to plant all the way up, do not ask me why, but I have seen several times, up there no sifted earth no pebbles ...

No, no sieved earth, no pebbles. The irises grow in a stubble that slowly becomes a very fine potting soil ... without pebbles! .
Moindreffor wrote:... that the one who wants to sort the pebbles do it, me it does not bother me, me personally I will not do it, because I think it's useless, I'll try with and if by chance I'll be wrong bt I will remove them after testing, ...

I did, (see my previous post). I planted 100 rhizomes: 80 in one place where the earth was sifted, and the remaining 20 in another place where the earth is the same but "raw", not sifted. The former have grown very well, not the others.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 27/08/18, 18:33

Operation performed yesterday Sunday in 3 hours.

I dug up the iris, with difficulty, because of pebbles:

Iris 1.jpg

I then dug on 40 cm deep. There are only a few cm of good soil:

Iris 2.JPG

Then sieving of 5 ground scrambled :) :

Iris 3.JPG
Iris 3.JPG (344.45 KIO) Accessed 2780 times

5 rammed earth I extracted 1,5 brouettée pebbles!

The irises were put back in place with the same earth, without the pebbles.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 27/08/18, 18:46

what are you turning to? : Mrgreen:
my health would not allow me such a feat,
You really have an earth of mine, but I think that the phenoculture could have come to your aid, because I can not do otherwise and now that I have tried I will have put hay on my iris, and I will have waited a year for two, after ben I will have asked my landscaper to move iris or not : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 27/08/18, 19:30

Moindreffor wrote:what are you turning to? : Mrgreen:
You really have an earth of mine, but I think that the phenoculture could have come to your aid, because I can not do otherwise and now that I have tried I will have put hay on my iris, and I will have waited a year for two, after ben I will have asked my landscaper to move iris or not : Mrgreen:

"A land of m @@@ e". That's exactly it, if not worse because the m @@@ e it can be used as fertilizer. :)

The health ? I am entitled to the disabled card. But I put the form to fill in a drawer.

Mulching, I practice with clippings and leaves, that's what I did with irises. To mulch on a land without pebbles gives better results, at least at home.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 27/08/18, 20:27

Leo Maximus wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:what are you turning to? : Mrgreen:

"A land of m @@@ e". That's exactly it, if not worse because the m @@@ e it can be used as fertilizer. :)

The health ? I am entitled to the disabled card. But I put the form to fill in a drawer.

Mulching, I practice with clippings and leaves, that's what I did with irises. To mulch on a land without pebbles gives better results, at least at home.

the 80% invalidity card gives me a half tax, I also left it in the 5 drawer (ignorance and ego), then I paid less taxes and my ego did not is not felt too crumpled
leaves or mowing, or leaf and mowing, leaves alone hungry for nitrogen so not good, mowing only fertilizer not necessarily good if no organic matter in the soil to hold it, leaves + mowing, it is better one compensates the l 'other,

if not the wheelbarrow of pebbles removed you compensate it by what?
0 x
(of me)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 27/08/18, 21:29

Moindreffor wrote:... the 80% invalidity card gives me a half tax, I also left it in the 5 drawer (ignorance and ego), then I paid less taxes and my ego did not did not feel too hurt

I will think about it and study it. Thanks for the advice.

Moindreffor wrote:if not the wheelbarrow of pebbles removed you compensate it by what?

I took the sieved earth under the sieve, the one on which the blocks are laid (see photo). So there's a big hole instead ... It's undress Paul to dress Jacques. :)

I have more land available and buy potting soil, I do not like it too much ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 27/08/18, 23:04

yes, there is the hole : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 28/08/18, 23:00

Illustration quickly made to the mobile phone of what I said previously ...

Rock, a little earth and stones invaded ... iris (but also lily a little further, although in less quantity)

I think that on this piece of rock are the irises that retain the most land (on this corner there in any case full sun and very very hot)

It is nobody, roadside, no watering, no maintenance, no .. nothing but it grows and it blooms somehow.

20180828_164327.jpg
20180828_164327.jpg (110.13 KB) Viewed times 2701

That being said, you have 1000 once because of planting your irises in the soil that suits them best as each plant or vegetable or fruit prefers to be planted or grow in the soil that suits it best.

But all this can also grow in places or soils or litters that are not perfect

They are less beautiful than ours who are pampered and maintained (finally as far as possible) but they come out and proliferate anyway ... just have to see the extent of their colonization and still on the phone I do not have a wide angle.
0 x