Seedling soil?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sowing soil?

by Moindreffor » 07/07/19, 12:09

Did67 wrote:Last year, drought already. My leeks, sown late, planted late, were ridiculous in the fall: diameter of a big pencil, rather of a small felt-tip ... They kept developing and were quite appreciable around November / rubble and quite strong, among the most beautiful that I have had, around February-March (the winter was quite mild, with some peaks at -8 ° and a few; the leek resists). From memory, without any guarantee, it was "bleu de Solaise", a leek described as winter.

I also sowed blue solaise, for its reputation as a winter leek, it is very small but is growing, a large knitting needle at the moment, I am waiting for room to transplant it and boost it with mowing, he is also a gourmand
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 07/07/19, 15:38

It is a plant among those which are strongly mycorrhized, which therefore takes a little time to settle down, to set up its network ... And afterwards, barring drought, it is a bulldozer that is not stopped.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/07/19, 17:53

Did67 wrote:It is a plant among those which are strongly mycorrhized, which therefore takes a little time to settle down, to set up its network ... And afterwards, barring drought, it is a bulldozer that is not stopped.

so I understand better that sowing in the ground it cannot mycorrhize, so sowing in the ground would be a real advantage?

or transplant it in 2 times? small fallow in a corner of the garden, then once well developed in place? but wouldn't it be too much work for us lazy people?
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 07/07/19, 22:09

I just transplanted very small ones (potting soil of m ....!).

But in some years, I sow directly, I start again and I transplant the surplus elsewhere ... It is still the best way for winter leeks ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/07/19, 07:56

Did67 wrote:I just transplanted very small ones (potting soil of m ....!).

But in some years, I sow directly, I start again and I transplant the surplus elsewhere ... It is still the best way for winter leeks ...

yes I practiced like that when I had room, but that was before ... after my illness, I bought the land and therefore chose a surface with my physical capabilities of the time, the pheno ' opens up new horizons, but apart from eating on the lawn it's going to be hard to enlarge the vegetable patch
0 x
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/08/19, 14:38

Questions

if you had to or if you make your compost yourself how would you proceed?

do you sift what you collect with heap compost? or do you compost specifically for your soil? you mix with something and if so what?

what is the seedbed we buy? what is it made of?

please
0 x
(of me)
Did67

mon

by Did67 » 16/08/19, 18:42

What is essential is the maturity of the compost, which must be certain that it no longer has an anti-germination action (this is verified on watercress: if the watercress germinates, it is because it is OK).

Sifting removes "lumps" that could still feed the fungi and cause problems.

Then the seedlings are mixed with fairly fine sands, to be bine permeable. In my opinion, to the touch, these are very fine sands (like pool filters). Quite fine to promote capillarity.

There is usually a bit of perlite or vermiculite.

https://www.gerbeaud.com/jardin/fiches/ ... ,1373.html
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/08/19, 19:55

so ultimately we always find ourselves having to buy something, so sand, then you have to see the price of sand

what is ripe compost?
if I mix hay or straw and put lawn mowing and garden soil in a container and water and mix from time to time will I ultimately have compost
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 17/08/19, 09:51

Depending on the location, you can find sand in a river ... It doesn't have to be clean sand, like building (this sand is too coarse, by the way). Neither very clean fine sand as that used in swimming pool filters ...

During composting, several phases follow one another:

a) the hot phase, predominantly "bacterial"; it is the waste rich in N, wet, which mineralizes very quickly; once these elements are scarce, the bacteria calm down

b) the cold phase which follows then mainly concerns the fungi, which attack the more fibrous elements - cellulose and especially lignin; they manufacture "pre-humic" substances

At the beginning, we have something that still looks quite like the stems we put. The mushrooms are still at work. One can have formation of anti-germinating substances, in particular in the heart of the heaps. It is the fresh compost, which we can put on the cover, which will continue its evolution ... While being wary just if we sow or if we cover sown furrows!

The work continues more slowly and little by little, we get a darker, more decomposed material, where what has been put is hardly recognizable. The mineralization is more advanced. Humification has started. It's ripe compost.

Ideally, do not put a bin: a pile of compost, it lives! And we live less well in a "bac" ...

The ideal is the largest possible pile (the "edges" always pose problems - too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold ...); the bigger and proportionally, the less "edges" there are!

Protected from light and ideally from rain (which will wash out the mineral elements resulting from mineralization - especially N and K)

Maintained wet but not too much.

Brewed regularly to oxygenate.

Good compost is a bit of a job. It is not just a "rotten"!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 17/08/19, 14:05

Moindreffor wrote:for my seedlings I buy seedlings and after I buy the soil of transplanting to move to bigger buckets, it does not have a blow exorbitant but I wish I could do otherwise
I tried with 100% garden soil, good mine it's really not TOP, so it did not have the expected success

so my question, what do you do with it?

Organic vegetable soil "Bio-Potgrond H" with a fine structure for the production of market garden plants in small and large clods in organic farming. Ideal for the demanding hobbyist who wants to produce his own vegetable plants in the kitchen garden. Mixture of frozen black peat (predominantly), blond peat and vegetable compost, pH 6. Enriched with organic fertilization (usable in Organic Farming in accordance with EEC regulation No. 2092/91 amended of June 24, 1991). Packaged in a 70 liter bag (professional format).
Brand: KLASMANN

http://www.jsfournitures.com/medias/fil ... tgrond.pdf
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"