Agriculture: problems and pollution, new technologies and solutionsAuxiliary cats of organic farming

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
nico239
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Auxiliary cats from organic farming

Unread Messageby nico239 » 01/12/17, 19:04

Lolounette wrote:The Natural History Museum and The LPO are conducting research on the impact of the domestic cat on biodiversity, I invite interested cat owners to register for this participatory survey You can consult it by clicking here. : Wink:

this study follows another one which took place 25 years ago in England and whose results on the bird population were quite alarming (see here for those who speak English)

Mice, voles, shrews, lizards and other birds are big consumers of insects, so they are also useful to the gardener. The English study was particularly alarmed by the explosion of the feline population and invited cat owners to equip them with a bell ...

I love cats and far from me the desire to create a controversy: I wait for the results of the study to know exactly what it returns, so do not hesitate to register ...

Regarding the mole rats their biggest natural predator is the fox which is alas exterminated everywhere because classified as harmful : Evil: In the Puy-de-Dôme, for example, a campaign to exterminate the taupier rat is under way at great expense, and at the same time the beaten foxes continue. Relentless logic!

Do not psychotize on cats Image

As said above wild cats are like all wild animals ... they go to the ease ...

So first the bowls of the restaurants of the heart of the ad hoc assos
Then the bowls of the granny cat or our trash cans
Then rodents
And finally the birds last, because it's the most complicated to catch.
Moreover, when they get to catch it, they are mainly injured, diminished, fallen from the nest ... etc
Lizards only interest domestic cats which distracts them but rarely savages who know perfectly well that it is not edible and therefore it is useless to spend energy to capture them for nothing ...

Finally the best way to preserve the low percentage remaining of catch of birds in full form is to .... do what I described above ...
Create a habitat for them in a quiet place to fix them so that they do not wander, feed them ... AND ... sterilize them all.

Moreover, it is not because I love cats that I am against violent eliminations in case of overpopulation which is not good for anyone and especially not for cats.
Last edited by nico239 the 01 / 12 / 17, 19: 11, 2 edited once.
0 x

nico239
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby nico239 » 01/12/17, 19:08

Gaston wrote:
Lolounette wrote:Regarding the mole rats their biggest natural predator is the fox which is alas exterminated everywhere because classified as harmful : Evil: In the Puy-de-Dôme, for example, a campaign to exterminate the taupier rat is under way at great expense, and at the same time the beaten foxes continue. Relentless logic!
The fox is also one of the main predators of the cat ... nothing is simple : roll:

Yaisse and in one year we have already lost an adult male cat ...
Who has eaten or shot at him or died of his beautiful death? We do not know anything

This is to say that it is rare that in nature, even within the framework of a close familiar habitat all cats survive.

We took over a little cat to have a litter at the beginning of the year (well, if all goes well, because by then it can happen to him many things ...) and keep them all ... what does not not to say that all will survive in the environment that is ours.

In my opinion on 4 if 2 survive to adulthood we will have the bowl, it is the hard law of nature.
0 x
nico239
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby nico239 » 01/12/17, 19:19

Lolounette wrote:The Natural History Museum and The LPO are conducting research on the impact of the domestic cat on biodiversity, I invite interested cat owners to register for this participatory survey You can consult it by clicking here. : Wink:

I signed up, we'll see what happens.

But it's about domestic cats ... not about the wild ones ...

Will be disappointed because it's not violent: 2 birds this year.
Of course, it would have been necessary to autopsy the birds to know in which state they were.
It would be nice if the study was so RIGOROUS and I could provide them with the dead individuals next year and HAVE A BACK ... scientific about their state of health

We'll see...

By the way, cats do not eat chickens : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 02/12/17, 09:53

You were right to insist on the difference between "wild cats", in the sense of "abandoned domestic cats", who do not necessarily know how to hunt because they have never learned and who "maraud" ... C ' That's why they "hang out" around the houses, and sometimes someone had the idea to feed their cats outside, put a dish to cool or whatever ...

And cats bred savagely by their mother, who taught them to hunt ...

Those I see from time to time are probably in the 1 category.

I brought cats from Namibia (it was the children's cats). Although domesticated and very cuddly, they were true hunters, because when they were young, that's how they had survived. They had learned! Although well fed, they were going to hunt ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Leo Maximus » 15/08/18, 15:50

The cat spends a good part of the day napping between the rows of carrots: :)

DSCN2764.JPG

Once, I saw him capture a cabbage worm. :)
0 x
"The theory is when you know everything but nothing works, practice is when everything works but nobody knows why." Albert Einstein.

nico239
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby nico239 » 15/08/18, 16:34

All have different habits ....

The cat has its territory bigger or smaller.

Who sleeps under the pallets in full sun: even under pallets it is VERY hot.

Who on a garden chair, who in the bushes under the trees.

Who in a box or on a sofa ...

Finally it disperses according to his tastes

And over the water it kills the dormice and the rats ... : Mrgreen: which is the essence.
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Leo Maximus » 15/08/18, 16:43

About cats who hang out to nap quietly, there is this video pretty well known now, but maybe not everyone:

: Lol:

Seen the smiles at first and especially the framing, it seems that it was a shot. But, well, the cat was not in the loop, he : Lol: .
0 x
"The theory is when you know everything but nothing works, practice is when everything works but nobody knows why." Albert Einstein.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Leo Maximus » 07/01/19, 18:10

this study follows another one which took place 25 years ago in England and whose results on the bird population were quite alarming (see here for those who speak English)

I confirm. I would say even more... :) as I feed the birds (it seems like it's a disaster for the environment, of course ... : Mrgreen: My garden is a gathering place for birds and invaded by cats from the neighborhood. The birds were killed by dozens every year.

Finally I found an effective solution, I put a fence around the main gathering place of birds, a big cherry tree, and I had only one bird killed this year. Success!

It is mesh mesh 100mm x 76,2 mm. It's not very pretty but very effective and cheap.

Bird protection mesh.JPG
0 x
Moindreffor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Unread Messageby Moindreffor » 07/01/19, 18:40

Leo Maximus wrote:

I confirm. I would say even more... :) as I feed the birds (it seems like it's a disaster for the environment, of course ... : Mrgreen: My garden is a gathering place for birds and invaded by cats from the neighborhood. The birds were killed by dozens every year.

Finally I found an effective solution, I put a fence around the main gathering place of birds, a big cherry tree, and I had only one bird killed this year. Success!

It is mesh mesh 100mm x 76,2 mm. It's not very pretty but very effective and cheap.

Bird protection mesh.JPG

Well, we have to say that grouping birds in one place for a lazy cat is all good.
I just entered my vegetable garden as LPO refuge, and I have a cat : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear best"
(of me)
nico239
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby nico239 » 07/01/19, 22:13

Here is funny we were contemplating the same show this afternoon.

The birds gorging themselves with balls of fat and our cats around: we have 5 / 6.

Good as it is every day maybe ours (birds and cats) are jaded because even with a cat lying on a deck chair at the foot of the tree where is a part of the balls it did not stop feast.

Already having cats or dogs this limits the invasion of wildcats in your refuge / garden.

It's sure that if you do not have one it's the fair for wild cats and they, as they only have their claws to survive ...

To return to our piou piou, anyway they come to goinfrer with the corn of hens and there it is at ground level, no significant massacre to deplore.
0 x