Gravity watering

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
float
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Gravity watering

by float » 10/09/23, 18:03

@Izentrop
I saw that you didn't want to use a pump but I have a neighbor who uses a small solar panel plus micro pump (on 12V from memory) and he is happy.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/09/23, 20:46

float wrote:@Izentrop
I saw that you didn't want to use a pump but I have a neighbor who uses a small solar panel plus micro pump (on 12V from memory) and he is happy.
To water a greenhouse or its balcony? I would like to avoid watering in the middle of a dodger : Wink:

I did a test again this evening... When the pipe is empty, it still takes quite a while to start dripping at the end... I will do a bypass on the pipe to speed up the start.
gegyx wrote:Tomatoes, I water every 2 days and depending. But it's not a success, my crops in clay soil
With a good dose of compost, it makes up for it. With dry toilets and green waste compost that I collect, things have improved a lot.
Finally, even with this construction scheme, despite the pressure, the drippers became clogged, although the suction cremone was covered with 3 layers of filter fabric (?).
For the moment I only have the seal with fine mesh which comes from the water inlet of a washing machine. This is also why I try not to set the drippers too tight (8 to 10 drops/second). Fine mesh also rainwater gutter outlet. We'll see ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 10/09/23, 21:49

izentrop wrote:I did a test again this evening... When the pipe is empty, it still takes quite a while to start dripping at the end... I will do a bypass on the pipe to speed up the start.

I thought about it when I saw your diagram...Why not close the loop by removing the "plug" and connecting the end of the pipe via a T to the power supply?
0 x
gfgh64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by gfgh64 » 10/09/23, 21:59

izentrop wrote:
To water a greenhouse or its balcony? I would like to avoid watering in the middle of a dodger : Wink:

I did a test again this evening... When the pipe is empty, it still takes quite a while to start dripping at the end... I will do a bypass on the pipe to speed up the start.
gegyx wrote:Tomatoes, I water every 2 days and depending. But it's not a success, my crops in clay soil
With a good dose of compost, it makes up for it.With dry toilets and green waste compost that I collect, things have improved a lot.
Finally, even with this construction scheme, despite the pressure, the drippers became clogged, although the suction cremone was covered with 3 layers of filter fabric (?).
For the moment I only have the seal with fine mesh which comes from the water inlet of a washing machine. This is also why I try not to set the drippers too tight (8 to 10 drops/second). Fine mesh also rainwater gutter outlet. We'll see ...

just to understand, do you use your dry toilet directly mixed with green waste compost?
0 x
Understanding does not mean accepting
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/09/23, 00:20

sicetaitsimple wrote:
izentrop wrote:I did a test again this evening... When the pipe is empty, it still takes quite a while to start dripping at the end... I will do a bypass on the pipe to speed up the start.
I thought about it when I saw your diagram...Why not close the loop by removing the "plug" and connecting the end of the pipe via a T to the power supply?
Yes, you're right.

I should point out that the test was in very low gravity: 30 cm, from 50 cm it already goes faster. Nothing stops me from raising my tank.
gfgh64 wrote:just to understand, do you use your dry toilet directly mixed with green waste compost?
In fact my TS compost is 2 years old. TS compost does not heat up enough for good sanitation. For this you need a week of thermophilic composting at 50° minimum (WHO) https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/han ... 59_fre.pdf

Since this winter when I made an insulated composter (6 cm of recycled polyurethane) in one year the future compost should be mature. I mix fresh green waste: herbs, kitchen waste, garden waste, my chicken manure... I add urine (separation), so as to raise the temperature (56° measured in winter). ).

Green waste compost is offered to the recycling center. I also add urine, as it is nitrogen deficient and also to keep it moist under a tarpaulin.

For use in the garden, I sieve the two and mix them more or less.

Aesthetically not jojo, I'm going to repaint it.
isolated composter.jpg
isolated composter.jpg (212.47 KB) Viewed 631 times

open composter.jpg
open composter.jpg (257.92 KiB) Viewed 631 times
0 x
float
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by float » 11/09/23, 07:08

izentrop wrote:

As you said you wanted to keep it simple and the day, I didn't say everything about its installation. : Mrgreen:
It also has a 12V battery and a programmer.
I haven't looked into it further but everything seems small to me and can be found in a garden center.
The solar panel should be approximately 2 A4 sheets (A3 for purists : Wink: )
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/09/23, 08:44

float wrote:As you said you wanted to keep it simple and the day, I didn't say everything about its installation.
It also has a 12V battery and a programmer.
Yes thank you, interesting, there are 30 m kits, 30 drippers, solar, programmer with battery really cheap, exactly what I needed for my greenhouse : Wink:

To prevent the pipe from emptying between two waterings, have all the drippers raised as here and a maximum of 2 drippers per line = no pressure loss...
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/09/23, 11:55

For your composter, rather than repainting it, wouldn't it be better to make a wooden cladding?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/09/23, 12:05

Hello,
Ahmed wrote:For your composter, rather than repainting it, wouldn't it be better to make a wooden cladding?
This is for fields of polyurethane panels that are not protected. I had glued self-adhesive aluminum tape but it didn't hold.

I have some leftover black foundation waterproofing paint in stock which should do the job. : Wink:

The plan in the previous message, the drippers are not adjustable, that's not a bad thing because it often goes wrong and then it is by programming the watering durations that you regulate the quantities of water provided.
Last edited by izentrop the 11 / 09 / 23, 12: 15, 1 edited once.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 11/09/23, 12:11

I think Ahmed was referring more to the aesthetic aspect of the thing... Which doesn't prevent you from protecting the panels with a waterproof coating.
1 x