Eat insects! Let's be insectivores

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Eat insects! Let's be insectivore

by Exnihiloest » 22/11/20, 19:50

I had the opportunity to eat insects, especially as an aperitif.
It's not that great, all dry and undefinable flavor.
I am ready to repeat the experience if there has been progress in the choice of the critters or the preparation, but for the moment facing the prime rib or the rack of lamb, there is no picture.
And the earthworm? maybe a lot of prep work but then it's the spaghetti bolognese kind. What do the lazy people in the vegetable garden think?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 22/11/20, 20:22

Exnihiloest wrote:I had the opportunity to eat insects, especially as an aperitif.
It's not that great, all dry and undefinable flavor.
I am ready to repeat the experience if there has been progress in the choice of the critters or the preparation, but for the moment facing the prime rib or the rack of lamb, there is no picture.
And the earthworm? maybe a lot of prep work but then it's the spaghetti bolognese kind. What do the lazy people in the vegetable garden think?

eating insects is a bobo thing, it's Koh-Lanta at home at aperitif time, or someone who calls himself a great traveler who has tried everything, the future of insects is a protein paste , a bit like our hamburgers everyone loves it and yet except if you have it prepared at your butcher, nobody really knows what's in it, so this pate used instead of the steak in a prepared dish, it will work especially that on the label we can mark animal protein, we no longer find pure beef, but only beef ... and 100% insect for defenders of the planet and the animal cause, and in 50 years we will have defenders of the cause of insects
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/20, 09:21

Christophe "21/11/20, 15:11

There is so much stupidity in your message that I will not answer it ... : Mrgreen:
as it is difficult to see if it is 1st or XNUMXnd degree, just an anecdote, lived.
In one of the companies where I worked, I chatted with my colleagues (during working hours, of course! :D ) on the meat, obviously, its origin, its quality and of which a particular aspect which underlined that the cows, pigs, broods, found on the stalls also came from animals having cancer and whose affected parts were only cut up and the rest for sale. There was a general outcry, it was not possible, the veterinary services were watching, etc ... verbal stoning, except when one of these colleagues, son of a butcher, confirmed the thing, to the general amazement of course. And everyone went back to their daily "cancerous" steak! Yes, people are stupid ... or more! : Cry:
PS: the same goes for any other disease that has become invisible on the stall!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 23/11/20, 17:10

Moindreffor wrote:...
eating insects is a bobo thing, it's Koh-Lanta at home at aperitif time, or someone who calls himself a great traveler who has tried everything, the future of insects is a protein paste , a bit like our hamburgers everyone loves it and yet except if you have it prepared at your butcher, nobody really knows what's in it, so this pate used instead of the steak in a prepared dish, it will work especially since on the label we can mark animal protein, we no longer find pure beef, but only beef ...

I am not a frequent traveler. But even a very small traveler, I test what is local, I try everything. It seems to me the minimum when you go abroad. It is hardly that Americans who will not leave a McDonald's if they go to Abidjan. I tested the porcupine (with cocoa), the snake, the agouti ... and here again, the big winner is the prime rib or the rack of lamb.
and 100% insect for the defenders of the planet and the animal cause, and in 50 years we will have the defenders of the cause of insects

Not sure. Because if it works, in 50 years the insects will come from intensive farming.

I don't care where the food comes from. If it tastes good and not harmful to health, I am into anything, whether it comes from a "terroir" or not, whether it is completely artificial or not. I expect the taste of prime rib even in a little appetizing concentrate / reconstituted high cell nutrient. But so far, we are far from it.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/20, 17:23

Not sure. Because if it works, in 50 years the insects will come from intensive farming.
Rather, it is more than unlikely. the insects that some present as the proteins of the future, also need to feed themselves and therefore, to replace the current slaughter animals, they would need immense spaces of plants, specific to these, to cultivate while we are barely enough to feed our populations. Whether it is a niche, why not! A substitution is unlikely.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 23/11/20, 18:19

Janic wrote:
Rather, it is more than unlikely. the insects that some present as the proteins of the future, also need to feed themselves and therefore, to replace the current slaughter animals, they would need immense spaces of plants, specific to these, to cultivate while we are barely enough to feed our populations. Whether it is a niche, why not! A substitution is unlikely.

some insects or larvae are carnivorous they are not all vegetarians : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/11/20, 20:32

some insects or larvae are carnivorous they are not all vegetarians
I did not mention vegetarian insects, but carnivorous insects mainly feed on other vegetarian insects themselves (as for larger animals) otherwise they would destroy themselves too!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/11/20, 13:27

Janic wrote:
some insects or larvae are carnivorous they are not all vegetarians
I did not mention vegetarian insects, but carnivorous insects mainly feed on other vegetarian insects themselves (as for larger animals) otherwise they would destroy themselves too!

I was thinking of the maggots that some fishermen already breed in leftover fish or meat
0 x
(of me)
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 24/11/20, 15:01

Janic wrote:
Rather, it is more than unlikely. the insects that some present as the proteins of the future, also need to eat ...

The debate got over you, then. Because with insects, the "efficiency" of the food to be provided / food to be recovered ratio is largely in favor of insects on mammals or poultry.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 24/11/20, 15:17

The debate got over you, then. Because with insects, the "efficiency" of the food to be provided / food to be recovered ratio is largely in favor of insects on mammals or poultry.
It remains to be proven! insects have specific types of food, they don't eat anything! for example, silkworms and others have the same specificities. So it would indeed be necessary to cultivate enormous surfaces to provide each variety of insect with its characteristic, or to breed equally enormous quantities of insects to consume. The danger, unlike mammals or poultry, is that these insects of all kinds, like viruses escaping from labs, escape and destroy the food of humans and other animals, such as grasshoppers or ants. well known. And finally and above all we (well you) have become accustomed to a large amount of "animal" products to consume and three grasshoppers lost in the middle of the plate, or 120 to 220 g of grasshoppers or maggots, nobody will like that.
0 x