Do you know the moth!!???

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Do you know the moth!!???

by izentrop » 12/09/23, 21:39

Ahmed wrote:These better-fed plants provide greater initial growth, therefore providing more herbaceous (=softer) plant material, therefore "abnormal"* in terms of attractiveness for herbivores.
If you don't take the time to harden off your nursery plant before putting it in the ground, this is indeed what can happen. : Wink:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 13/09/23, 07:31

12/09/23, 21:39
Ahmed wrote:
These better-fed plants provide greater initial growth, therefore providing more herbaceous (=softer) plant material, therefore "abnormal"* in terms of attractiveness for herbivores.
izmentrop
If you don't take the time to harden off your nursery plant before putting it in the ground, this is indeed what can happen.
except, once again, that a plant in a nursery is tampered with by human intervention and transplanted to a place, soil different from that in a pot, etc. stresses the plant and weakens it while it adapts, favorable period to be invaded by parasites, fungi intended to eliminate it by natural selection. It’s plant immigration! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/09/23, 10:10

The question of hardening does not arise: the plants are suitably hardened at the time of their marketing. The nurseryman is required, however, to meet the criteria corresponding to the various categories: 1+1 or 1+2*, for example, and with dimensional constraints, which implies sufficient fertilization, which is necessarily much higher than "spontaneous" levels. .

* The first number corresponds to the year of sowing, the next to the duration of growth after transplantation or coring.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 13/09/23, 19:38

Janic wrote:that a plant in a nursery is tampered with by human intervention
Like you : Mrgreen:

I found 3 more of these critters, they were distributed throughout the greenhouse, but given the number and the little damage, I think they come from the laying of a single caterpillar... knock on wood . : Wink:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 13/09/23, 19:58

2. Fam. [Often in interr sentences] To make, to manufacture, to organize (something more or less suspicious or mysterious). What is this guy doing here? So what are you up to? cried his sister; fifteen for dinner, that's at least forty francs to come out of our pocket! (Balzac, Pts bourg., 1850, p. 99). Blaise heard him (...) messing around in the kitchen (Arnoux, Solde, 1958, p. 237).

https://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/trafiquer

Janic wrote:
that a plant in a nursery is tampered with by human intervention
izmentrop
Like you
and you know what you are talking about with your long practices in this area. :(
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 13/09/23, 23:24

Whore ! Fed up !

I create and post on a subject... without wanting to cause controversy... just cool!

History of exchanging observations, ideas, advice, possible tips...and inevitably it ends up with shitty philosophical considerations (really).

My plants? They don't come from the merchant (so what! Even so...what difference would that make!!!)

The seeds are mine (which I collect and save) sown in February and planted in April... Bern rose that I have been growing for the 5th year.

Stoooooooooooo
Last edited by A.D. 44 the 13 / 09 / 23, 23: 28, 2 edited once.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 13/09/23, 23:26

Some rot everything they touch...worse than the worst pest in the vegetable garden!

Please... let them no longer intervene on this thread.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 14/09/23, 00:02

AD 44 wrote:Berne rose that I have been growing for the 5th year.
Very juicy and very good taste when you wait until it is fully ripe. I have some this year too. What I do well and which is also succulent and early is the Crimean black.
AD 44 wrote:The seeds are mine (which I collect and save) sown in February and planted in April...
Which region, how do you do it?
I start them on the sideboard in the room and as soon as the sprouts emerge, I put them under a skylight in the attic, but due to lack of light, the plants spin away. Some seeds do not grow, I think insufficient temperature.
Next year I will try under the light and heat of fluorescent tubes.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 14/09/23, 07:49

13/09/23, 23:24

Whore ! Fed up !
History of exchanging observations, ideas, advice, possible tips...and inevitably it ends up with shitty philosophical considerations (really).
Do you want ideas or not, or do you want a polishing brush in the direction of the hair? For almost a century, agronomists have been warning about the importance of the terrain on which various plant varieties thrive and others do not, and the same goes for animals, for which we see the differences in their experiences depending on the inhabited areas and which wither when we change their ecosystem.
a)So we have to start at the beginning: is your soil suitable for a particular type of culture, hence an analysis of it?!
b) are the varieties also adapted to the type of soil (excluding amendment) and to the various climate changes that we are talking about more and more.
Currently winegrowers are uprooting plants that are no longer adapted to the current change in climate and certain trees are being eliminated, replacing them with others that are more resistant.
My plants? They don't come from the merchant (so what! Even so...what difference would that make!!!)
This changes as we are in the era of epigenetics which studies the impact of environments and hereditary characteristics, whether in animals or in plants.
We are increasingly noticing, on a biological level, that there are transmissions of certain diseases in families, which we call heredity, and which depend on their lifestyle and environment, making these heirs much more fragile. than others to external and internal aggressions.

epigenetic
adjective and feminine noun
BIOLOGY
adjective
Relating to the inheritance of characters, modifications, information which are not carried by genes.
feminine noun
Science that studies the influence of the environment on gene expression.

The seeds are mine (which I collect and save) sown in February and planted in April... Bern rose that I have been growing for the 5th year.
precisely, given what is said above that they are, perhaps, no longer adapted to the terrain or to external conditions and that we should try to change them for others more resistant to parasites.
because sick, deficient plant = equals sick consumer too (which should not be confused with direct poisoning)
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 15/09/23, 00:08

izentrop wrote:
AD 44 wrote:The seeds are mine (which I collect and save) sown in February and planted in April...
Which region, how do you do it?
I start them on the sideboard in the room and as soon as the sprouts emerge, I put them under a skylight in the attic, but due to lack of light, the plants spin away. Some seeds do not grow, I think insufficient temperature.
Next year I will try under the light and heat of fluorescent tubes.

Limit 44 and 49.

This year I sowed in February (I should have done it earlier...but I couldn't...absence).

I let my pots germinate behind the south-facing kitchen window.

Last year I had almost 100% of my seeds emerge but some died away. This year, the germination rate was quite low, but none died...I have no explanation...maybe this harvest of seeds which dates from 2020 has reached its germination period!...

the years follow each other and are not alike.

I'm going to replenish my seed stock this year...
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"