A vegetable lazy Sarthe

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Return to posts index Reply Like Re: A lazy vegetable garden in Sarthe

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 19/03/19, 13:58

Did67 wrote:Excellent remark: if the "plants knew", there would never be any frost.

This is not what I meant! The observation of the phenological stages of a set of plants indicates to us very precisely where we are in the "season", much more infallibly than the "guides" or "calendars" (which even "permaculturalists" are however fond of). This takes into account the weather of the year and with great finesse the differences in the situation. Downstairs, in Rosheim, the plum trees are in bloom! At home, nothing !!! (100 m altitude difference and 4 km as the crow flies).

There remains the "risk": a brutal frost such as this April 21, 2017, that nobody, neither the gardeners, nor the meteorologists, nor the plants foresee !!! Must be clear, if I have not been!

Very clear that's what I picked.

My remark was of a general nature about the phenomenon: I sow so much I will eat so much .... Image.

And that includes the hazards that are of all kinds ...
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 22/03/19, 23:18

hi the phenocultors

when I tell you that do curious things, here is a very late bast of a board (hay the previous year but which was badly grassed)
as it was pre-drilled, I put it back in place, filling the holes with a little hay. I am thinking of putting either "sugar baby" watermelon and / or pumpkins. I am quite confident about the fertility of the soil and the need for watering on this site which remains relatively humid in summer.

on the left a board less grassed or I will have potatoes covered with hay.

bache_mars2019.jpg

I will also get some brf that I will add on the strawberries:
strawberries_mars2019.jpg

I will probably also mow my board edges, because I also have large grasses (as Didier showed in his last video) that form large tufts often embarrassing ...

good gardening to all!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 22/03/19, 23:29

Hold on strawberries ....

Potted strawberries and frost, what is it?

And what about strawberries and frost?
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 23/03/19, 12:45

nico239 wrote:Hold on strawberries ....

Potted strawberries and frost, what is it?

And what about strawberries and frost?

Potted I do not know, but in the ground I do not worry too much. In autumn I had just covered the strawberry leaves, but it is mainly to make regular contributions and limit grassing ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/03/19, 19:43

In time - and now he brings back the old con! - in time I said, I speak there before climate change where - 20 ° C were common at home in Alsace, I have never seen damage on strawberries earthen.

However, always be wary of potted plants, of which it is the roots which freeze, sometimes with drying out and death of the plant! Even when they are perfectly "resistant". Below 0 ° C - well a little less, because it is not pure water - the water in the pot freezes and it is especially what kills
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 23/03/19, 23:41

Did67 wrote:In time - and now he brings back the old con! - in time I said, I speak there before climate change where - 20 ° C were common at home in Alsace, I have never seen damage on strawberries earthen.

However, always be wary of potted plants, of which it is the roots which freeze, sometimes with drying out and death of the plant! Even when they are perfectly "resistant". Below 0 ° C - well a little less, because it is not pure water - the water in the pot freezes and it is especially what kills

Ok we have 60 seedlings purchased in bare root ...

For the moment they are inside and have resumed at full speed in a few days.

It is Mrs. who made this gift but she would like them in height : Mrgreen:

So I'm going to make wooden planters ... hanging.

But I think she will refuse to take out the plants as long as it freezes
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 25/03/19, 20:03

Hi to all of you !

today a lot of stuff, I actually mowed my edges of planks, because it is already starting to grow to death and I am afraid of finding myself with "pain in the ass" like big clumps of uncontrollable grasses on the edges of hay boards.

The weather is beautiful, the bees are hanging around willow marsaults. I removed my cleats because it was a lot of shelter for small rodents.
garden25mars2019.jpg
. I placed them in a place where I plan to add small fruit trees in the fall.

Seeding session of many seeds in a friend 's greenhouse: zucchini, sunflower, tomatoes, carnations, nasturtiums, etc. I plan to buy vigorous plants from local professionals for tomatoes, eggplants, etc.
garden25mars2019semis_plaques.jpg

As I got some "real" brf, j
I took the opportunity to add strawberries and my cuttings of cases. I show all the more happy the photo of the strawberries since Julienmos speaks about it on the main wire of the forum :
garden25mars2019fraisesbrf.jpg

and the breaks:
garden25mars2019casseillesbrf.jpg

I also have an enclosure with fruit or I plan to put bees, currently there are the hens of my neighbor who scratch the ground. As it was naked, I took all the old seeds I had left and I sowed mustard, phacelia, vetches and blends of flowers on the fly. I imagine that chickens will eat some, but may leave some?

Maybe I'll try to put a hive "trap" with the swarm catcher, you never know if a swarm had to pass?

Good evening to all
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 25/03/19, 22:10

Stef72 wrote:I show all the more happy the photo of the strawberries since Julienmos speaks about it on the main wire of the forum :

then there is complete drowning : Shock: : Lol:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/03/19, 08:44

The "grandfather of the PP" is happy when he sees these initiatives everywhere ...

A particular "tribute" to Steph, who is at the origin of my first conf !!! And who encouraged me to write the book. If I had imagined then the path it would all take ...

I dare to imagine it happier than if it had been snapped up by the fashion of permaculture on mounds, which then hung from his nose! A little less muscular maybe, alas - I'm sorry for his girlfriend !!!!
1 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 02/04/19, 07:24

hello phenoculturists!

this Sunday I set up my potatoes:
- 3 kilos of charlottes set up, two lines on a 10 hay band 15 meters long.
- the spacing between the planes is about 25 to 30 cm.
- I used 4 small haystacks to cover everything, I reserve an extra to add later if needed.
- I do not bury the plant, I just put it in contact with the earth ...

Regarding the "timing", I would have easily waited a week or two, but my method is to do when I have the time, if possible not too late, and I really wanted to benefit from the small rain sequences this week to moisten the hay ... (by my place the old people say that the season will be dry ... I don't know where they get it from;))
potatoes_30mars2019.jpg

potatoes_30mars2019_2.jpg

business to follow ...
0 x