A vegetable lazy in Charente-Maritime

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: A vegetable garden in Charente-Maritime

by Did67 » 22/03/17, 19:05

That said, I still meet interested people ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/03/17, 20:15

Hmm ... At the risk of going a bit against the grain of the previous 3 or 4 posts, a few remarks:

- all "classic" gardeners are not "poisoners", even if some are very strongly by an excessive use of various and varied products (my neighbor, whom I have already mentioned, he begins the season by sprinkling the all of its round-up vegetable garden around mid-March ...).

- however, many of these non-poisoners or moderate poisoners obtain very good results because they have long developed proven techniques and use compost, manure, ..... Okay, they work their soil, that's a little work, but doing BRF or "sillon'eter" is also work.

- and so in fact it is not easy to "hang", because some are in any case "irrecoverable" and it is not worth going to speak to them about the well-being of earthworms, and 'others have found a balance in a technique they master by being "reasonable" about their inputs.

- moreover I think that we should not deny the aspect "what will one say". Covering your ground with hay and the like all year round from one day to the next is in many cases passing for a madman when you have neighbors ...

- in short, the "public" who will join the most easily are people like me, who are just starting out, who have no "account" to neighbors or their families (especially the elders), who are rather curious , who first consider the vegetable activity as a hobby, who attach importance to making "organic" even if their results are not always extraordinary, .... and who accept success (that's easy) but also failures (which is less so).

So in my opinion more "habit" and "conformism" than really religion.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 22/03/17, 20:46

sicetaitsimple nobody said that the other gardeners are poisoners. On several occasions Didier specifies that conventional gardening, even chemical works and gives good results;
Even if you are septic, nothing prevents you from listening and possibly trying on a very small surface.
Obviously I am like Didier, it does not bother me that nobody or almost does not listen to me (well so much the better Didier manages to pick up a listening and let us take advantage of this concept) :)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 22/03/17, 21:34

phil53 wrote:Even if you are septic, nothing prevents you from listening and possibly trying on a very small surface.

We agree, I was just trying to find a number of factual reasons why "phenoculture" seems to me more attractive overall to a certain audience (which I have tried to describe) than to another ... .even if there are exceptions.

We spoke of "religion". In this, the videos of Didier seem particularly powerful to me, because even St Thomas sees things!
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 23/03/17, 10:02

I don't think we should take too much head with the advice of others: to each his garden!
this is exactly what we are trying to do here: test the phenoculture approach, with all its particularities. For my part, all my neighbors gardeners work their soil, and we do like that all their lives. As I am the youngest in the neighborhood, it intrigues them a little, but I remain deliberately evasive on my technique and I do not try to convince them of anything. Most have more experience than I do, and they will judge by what they see (what I will actually get).

As I am just starting out on my field, I expect a modest start (hay extended only since the beginning of March!), And I am not immune to various failures, so the humble attitude seems to me more cautious.
Didier himself did a few seasons before making his videos, while the soil in his garden got worse under the action of hay and BRF cutlery.

In the meantime, let's share our discoveries and tests here (including failures), the collective experience will be useful for all!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/03/17, 13:32

denis17 wrote:
... and those who want an organic garden only see the mounds and other permaculture gardens.

My remark followed this passage and concerned this type of refusal ... And only that. There, there is a will to do according to nature ... I only speak of permaculture "with mounds" [I could, if that did not keep the confusion, claim to myself of permaculture - it is regularly done in articles, comments about me]

I maintain that in my opinion it has a "belief" side to it. And also, of course, a fad.

I have a lot of trouble in conference to hide my annoyance at the contradiction between a stated desire to do "things as naturally as possible" (which I respect) and to start by turning everything upside down ... therefore destroying (who me) horrifies). Of course, there is ignorance of everything that is not visible, of mechanisms, of soil organisms, etc ... And so in fact because someone has preached it ... preached ... Which for me is specific to "religion" type thought (which I do not reduce to belief in a god). Instead of trying to understand, seek information, progress, observe and reason.

For the rest, totally agree. In some cases, the social pressure is very strong. But when you are convinced of something, I consider that crashing under social pressure is not showing maturity ... I recall that I have a lot of admiration for Nelson Mandela. So we can also "free yourself". Especially since we are more legalistic than those who burn organic matter (in Alsace, almost all municipalities have banned it, but many proponents of clean gardens continue! So are they, in illegality). With the exception of course of shared gardens, where there is a regulation which sometimes prohibits non-working techniques, the introduction of hay, etc. ... There, we must fight to change the rules first!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/03/17, 13:33

Stef72 wrote:
As I am the youngest in the neighborhood, it intrigues them a little, but I remain deliberately evasive on my technique and I do not try to convince them of anything. Most have more experience than I do, and they will judge by what they see (what I will actually get).

I think this is the best tactic!

Let us not be religious ourselves and avoid proselytism.

I only give lectures when someone invites me !!!
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 23/03/17, 18:28

A final word to conclude for my part on the neighbors and gardening. I just explain what I do and why I do it. I show if they wish to see. I just had a neighbor who said, ha, we'll have to try, but it's her husband who does the garden. On the 3 nearest neighbors, a weedkiller passes at the beginning of the year, the reason, more than 80 years and physical problems. Then for the whole, it is natural fertilizers, mowing of lawn, tiller and hoe.
Denis
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 23/03/17, 18:29

Did67 wrote:
denis17 wrote:
... and those who want an organic garden only see the mounds and other permaculture gardens.

My remark followed this passage and concerned this type of refusal ... And only that

OK, I got it wrong.

Regarding the burning of green waste by individuals, to my knowledge it is prohibited (except prefectoral derogation) everywhere in France.

http://www.centre.ademe.fr/sites/defaul ... -verts.pdf
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 23/03/17, 18:36

I confirm, with us too, but that does not prevent certain neighbors from doing so. :|
Denis
0 x