The pros and cons of electric cars

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 30/01/12, 15:09

citro wrote:In current use we see that they are no longer, that we know in advance its routes and that it is easy to organize.

Yes.

citro wrote:99% of recharges will be made at the owner of the EV, it would be a shame if he had no grip ... :?

Yes and No: There are NOT 99% of vehicles that sleep in a private garage and that have an outlet connected to a private meter.
Now I doubt that the condominium accepts that 1 or more people plug into the outlet of the underground parking lot of the building to draw several kwh per day :D
=> It reduces the potential clientele

citro wrote:Reloading is already much faster than before.

Yes. It is sufficient for most needs.
citro wrote:The Quick Drop system developed by Better Place is being deployed in France (and in many countries worldwide) The Renault Fluence ZE is the first in France to be equipped with this system, which can also be found on Nissan and BYD.

No: The quick drop is only cited by Renault in Israel and Denmark
(Source http://www.renault.com/fr/groupe/developpement-durable/environnement/pages/focus-better-place.aspx ou http://www.renault-ze.com/fr-fr/gamme-z.e./renault-fluence-z.e./video-42926.html)
France is therefore not on the agenda ...
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 30/01/12, 15:25

indy49 wrote:Yes and No: There are NOT 99% of vehicles that sleep in a private garage and that have an outlet connected to a private meter.
Now I doubt that the condominium accepts that 1 or more people plug into the outlet of the underground parking lot of the building to draw several kwh per day :D
=> It reduces the potential clientele

But with an EV you will need a garage and it will even have to be frost-free ... That was told to me on another forum when I came up with the idea of ​​equipping my berlingo with Lithium ... By negative temperature the charge of the lithium cells would be ... How to say dangerous ... But I think that vehicles equipped with origin must have a system of reheating ... Cool no need to scrape in the morning .. However check anyway before leaving that there is not a poor homeless man who has snuggled up warm under your car ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
stipe
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stipe » 30/01/12, 15:45

Macro wrote:But I think that the vehicles equipped with origin must have a system of reheating ... Cool more need to scrape in the morning..By cons check anyway before leaving that there is not a poor homeless person who is snuggled warm under your car ...

for having tried a ZE fluence this winter, two or three pieces of information gleaned on this occasion:
1 / the better place system will not be installed in France for reasons of too low density.
2 / Yes, the charging systems make it possible to preheat the car, we can even program the time of its departure to preheat the car, we save the battery by not having to ensure the rise in temperature of the vehicle which it seems is quite expensive energetically speaking. (I imagine that the same kind of manipulation is planned for the batteries)
0 x
"the goal of every life is to end" !.
Remundo

by Remundo » 30/01/12, 15:46

Macro wrote:But with an EV you will need a garage and it will even have to be frost-free ...

Not in Nickel Cadmium ... But in 100% Lithium
I was told that on another forum when I came up with the idea of ​​equipping my berlingo with Lithium ... By T ° negative the charge of the lithium cells would be ... How to say dangerous ...

You are right.

The cold can cause the electrolyte to make a "plating" of Lithium on the electrodes, potential short circuit ... Anyway, the Lithium is more affected by the cold than the Nicad in the restored energy. This is why it is necessary hybridize these batteries have complementary advantages to eliminate their drawbacks [Synergie n ° 4].
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 30/01/12, 16:18

Remundo wrote:The cold can cause the electrolyte to make a "plating" of Lithium on the electrodes, potential short circuit ... Anyway, the Lithium is more affected by the cold than the Nicad in the restored energy. This is why it is necessary hybridize these batteries have complementary advantages to eliminate their drawbacks [Synergie n ° 4].

And weigh down its EV which is already a real truck ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Remundo

by Remundo » 30/01/12, 17:15

Weight down, no, since the Lithium pack must be favored (better mass energy).

Reliability yes with the Nicad pack.

My vehicle is a prototype whose historical aspect shows that the Nicad pack is "too" heavy; however, I am very satisfied with my "Truck" and I do with Things many new EVs can't do ..., But also consumption reduced by 14% compared to the data from the manufacturer PSA, and this despite the additional mass of LiFePO4 constantly on board ...

Oh speaking of mass, CATHI weighs 1600 kg when empty ... Many thermal dumpers have this mass without carrying any battery, except that of lead-in starting ...

2 weights, 2 measures ... : Idea:

@+
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 31/01/12, 08:40

At an average speed of 45km / h ... Either effectively at the rate of a correctly equipped heavyweight in the same circumstances ... But actually you do great things for your quiet cushy use ... And you are free to drive as well ... But it is not the personal use of a car. At 1600 kg if your berlingo is similar to mine, you have about 360 kg of legal payload left. Sufficient to take 5 or 6 trash of plants to the recycling center but it remains a relatively mediocre capacity for a van ...
This is my humble opinion ..
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 31/01/12, 09:54

Grelinette wrote:This show is certainly very oriented towards heat engines and the film's passage on the EV presents almost only the drawbacks. But it nevertheless raises the "objective" brakes on the development of the EV: autonomy, difficulties and slowness for recharging the batteries, stress of breaking down, ...

The positive side of this sequence is to open the debate on these brakes and to anticipate on the development of EVs:

- If EVs develop, which seems inevitable, but the number of charging stations is insufficient, badly placed or badly designed, the problem will worsen.

- Ditto for the slow recharging: maybe it will promote the development of stations (it would be a good conversion for small stations) with standard exchange of the battery pack in a few minutes (old debate), which implies a standardization of batteries.

I read a document according to which a system was under study (and even developed) allowing the automatic release of the empty battery pack and its replacement by full batteries, like the "lavomatics": the car goes on a rail and changes its battery pack in a few minutes. This would be, for once, a real leap forward compared to petrol stations which would give EVs an advantage.

Moreover, like the hybrid car, which is an intermediate step towards the EV, we can imagine "station trucks", like those which transport cars. It would be an interesting new concept: the "mobile electric station", a "hybrid" step towards the total electric station! ...
(you saw the 2 puns : Mrgreen: )

The difficulty is simply that the manufacturers of EVs and batteries agree to standardize their products!
Until now, manufacturers have only very rarely shown technical agreements between themselves ... unless it makes consumers pay more! ...

I saw a report not long ago which showed the use of electric vehicles in the public service of certain cities in Denmark. To overcome recharging problems, they store the surplus of renewable electricity (too much wind production when there is a lot of wind for example) in electrolyte. This charged electrolyte is delivered to petrol stations. When electric vehicles have their batteries discharged, they go to the station, they empty the discharged electrolyte from their batteries and replaces it with the one that is charged. Recharge time a few minutes. And the discharged electrolyte starts again for a charge cycle.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 31/01/12, 10:07

Matt113 wrote:I saw a report not long ago which showed the use of electric vehicles in the public service of certain cities in Denmark. To overcome recharging problems, they store the surplus of renewable electricity (too much wind production when there is a lot of wind for example) in electrolyte. This charged electrolyte is delivered to petrol stations. When electric vehicles have their batteries discharged, they go to the station, they empty the discharged electrolyte from their batteries and replaces it with the one that is charged. Recharge time a few minutes. And the discharged electrolyte starts again for a charge cycle.
Redox flow batteries are a good solution for large capacity storage (just increase the size of the tanks to increase the capacity : Mrgreen: )

On the other hand, I am not yet aware of an application on a vehicle, probably because the weight / power ratio of the batteries is still far too low: around 30 Wh / kg of electrolyte, compared to 40 Wh / kg lead-acid batteries and more than 100Wh / kg lithium batteries ...
0 x
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 31/01/12, 10:14

Gaston wrote:
Matt113 wrote:I saw a report not long ago which showed the use of electric vehicles in the public service of certain cities in Denmark. To overcome recharging problems, they store the surplus of renewable electricity (too much wind production when there is a lot of wind for example) in electrolyte. This charged electrolyte is delivered to petrol stations. When electric vehicles have their batteries discharged, they go to the station, they empty the discharged electrolyte from their batteries and replaces it with the one that is charged. Recharge time a few minutes. And the discharged electrolyte starts again for a charge cycle.
Redox flow batteries are a good solution for large capacity storage (just increase the size of the tanks to increase the capacity : Mrgreen: )

On the other hand, I am not yet aware of an application on a vehicle, probably because the weight / power ratio of the batteries is still far too low: around 30 Wh / kg of electrolyte, compared to 40 Wh / kg lead-acid batteries and more than 100Wh / kg lithium batteries ...

The use was on maintenance vehicles for the city if I remember correctly, so room for storage and low driving speed. Finally I imagine that it must remain profitable otherwise they would not have done it, especially since it is electricity which would have been lost if not stored.
0 x