Heat storage in sand

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heat storage in sand

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/12/23, 19:36

Well then, isn’t there little Jesus in your crib? : Shock: : Cheesy: : Oops:
0 x
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 19:44

sicetaitsimple wrote:
ojal wrote:How difficult would it be to recover the heat stored in a mass of sand? Wouldn't a relatively simple exchanger make it possible to carry out this operation?

It all depends on the intended use of heat? But you were talking about 500° storage temperature, that starts to complicate things a little.

I may be going a little too hard with 500°C, this remains to be defined, what particular constraint do you see for temperatures like those I am talking about of the order of 500°C?
Thank you :)
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 19/12/23, 20:14

Recover heat, but from where?

At one time, I told myself that next to the boiler wood stove, I would make a box, filled with sand, with a coil branching off the stove....
Just to have a heat reserve.... but I have a 500L buffer tank, better suited to distributing heat throughout the house, to the radiators.

To be seen according to the volumes, and what we want to do in recovery.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/12/23, 20:15

ojal wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
ojal wrote:How difficult would it be to recover the heat stored in a mass of sand? Wouldn't a relatively simple exchanger make it possible to carry out this operation?

It all depends on the intended use of heat? But you were talking about 500° storage temperature, that starts to complicate things a little.

I may be going a little too hard with 500°C, this remains to be defined, what particular constraint do you see for temperatures like those I am talking about of the order of 500°C?

Materials, constraints, deformations, difficulty regulating an outlet temperature.... But what would the final use be?
0 x
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 20:20

phil59 wrote:Recover heat, but from where?

As I said, the heat supply can be done with electrical resistances powered for example by solar panels, but we could imagine other energy inputs depending on the projects.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 19/12/23, 20:23

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Well then, isn’t there little Jesus in your crib? : Shock: : Cheesy: : Oops:

This gives photos prohibited for under 18s, the stories of Jesus in the nursery at home... : Cheesy:
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 20:43

sicetaitsimple wrote:
ojal wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:

Materials, constraints, deformations, difficulty regulating an outlet temperature.... But what would the final use be?

I may be underestimating the difficulties of working with such high temperatures of around 500°C...? At a very basic first approach, I don't see any particular difficulty?
The final use can be multiple depending on the projects, but there is always a use in being able to recover stored heat.
A priori it would not be wise to convert back to electricity because the yields would then be very poor...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/12/23, 20:56

ojal wrote:[but there is always a use in being able to recover stored heat.

Yes, but if you don't have a precise objective it is impossible to define what will come close to an "optimum".
500° is certainly stupid if the objective is to provide heating, for example
0 x
ojal
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ojal » 19/12/23, 21:17

sicetaitsimple wrote:
ojal wrote:[but there is always a use in being able to recover stored heat.

Yes, but if you don't have a precise objective it is impossible to define what will come close to an "optimum".
500° is certainly stupid if the objective is to provide heating, for example

A simple application would be to use this type of storage for individual homes.
Solar panels would provide electricity to heat the mass of sand.
Then the heat could be recovered for the house's domestic hot water and heating needs in winter.
More generally, the discussion can focus on the interest of using sand to store energy whatever the applications. :)
One of the advantages of sand is that we have to work on things that seem quite low-tech to me and therefore "relatively easy" to implement and inexpensive...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/12/23, 21:32

ojal wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:500° is certainly stupid if the objective is to provide heating, for example

A simple application would be to use this type of storage for individual homes.
Solar panels would provide electricity to heat the mass of sand.
Then the heat could be recovered for the house's domestic hot water and heating needs in winter.
More generally, the discussion can focus on the interest of using sand to store energy whatever the applications. :)
One of the advantages of sand is that we have to work on things that seem quite low-tech to me and therefore "relatively easy" to implement and inexpensive...

Certainly, the sand itself is "low tech". But it is the complete system that must be appreciated (or not) as such.
0 x