Why does water make noise in an electric kettle?

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 29/10/14, 22:05

Leo Maximus wrote:........... The more limestone, the more surface there is and the noisier it is:

I had made this observation in one of the posts above. :D

But I hadn't thought about the caulking.

Thanks for the explanation.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

Re: Why water makes noise in an electric kettle

by Capt_Maloche » 30/10/14, 23:57

Christophe wrote:... why does water (long before it boils) make noise in an electric kettle ?! : Cheesy:

Ah, that's the Econologie.com that I like :D
Come on, you'll have to demonstrate your Gopro in a waterproof case!

A kettle of this type is between 1700 and 2500W, all dissipated on a very small surface, it is of the violent kind.

I assume that the convection necessary for a good exchange on the resistance is insufficient with regard to the powers at stake, therefore that a thin boundary layer vaporizes, condenses, re-vaporizes, recondenses until the water temperature allows maintains steam in large bubbles.
The deposited limestone plays only a role of festive disorder, the song of resistance is there with its own resistance.

As for the effect of the "impurities" of the various ions on this reaction, there is more than to measure it with a sound level meter : Cheesy: yes yes
1) with distilled water
2) with very mineralized water

I do not really believe in the "degassing" of water, it takes above all a pressure variation for that
This will be test 3, with 1L of water evacuated (low pressure), therefore well degassed

Who sticks to it? Image
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 06/11/14, 12:37

To do what ? : Cheesy:

You have just repeated what was said above and which is the right solution.

What you did is good because it gives some simple keys to understanding.

Question asked to our chemist this morning (I think I left enough time for the time, since no one has come forward ...)

His big answer (I quote): it's good "the breaks (and then recombinations and other re-breaks) of the bonds of atoms in molecules with the waltz of electrons between them which makes this noise, because breaking atoms is a work of force!" The formulas that I gave above are thus exact, the hydrogen becomes H + and the oxygen lost OH, etc. and all other combinations / recombinations ...

Sorry, but the caulking was only a small part of the problem in the same way as other hypotheses, since it would be necessary to add ALL the other situations of breakage of molecules in presence (and / or recombination), including l oxidation which would be a fairly violent phenomenon, since sufficient to disintegrate ... metal ...

The demonstration of Capt'aine Maloche in a repetition cycle is perfectly accurate: vaporization, condensation, re-vaporization, recondensation until the water temperature allows the vapor to be maintained in large bubbles, is perfectly consistent with what described me the chemist ... Ditto for the various impurities.

So no one had the complete exhaustive answer (I had found the history of combinations of molecules at the atomic scale but failed to say the main thing: that it was a "hard work"), so I did not have the complete correct answer! : Mrgreen:

As for the degassing of water and the story of the noisy expansion of gases, uh ... how to put it! Like the author said, you don't need energy for that, so her own argument cancels out on its own. There is no doubt that this partly fits into the equation, but it is by no means the dominant one (this reaction can be done very slowly and gradually, which is obviously not the case with a kettle where everything is agitated. because of the energy input, until the observed effect is achieved ...). For example, I have never heard that the expansion of gas in a hot air balloon was a "noisy phenomenon" ...

Or even the creation of bubbles in a bottle of champagne Image

There I will stop, otherwise it will not grow back on the skull cap! : Cheesy: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 07/11/14, 22:43

Nevertheless a small demonstration would be welcome

Too bad I don't have time to play this, nobody to take over?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 09/11/14, 13:20

Who has a sound level meter at home? Wouldn't a simple micro electret do the trick?

Otherwise I have two Neumann U87 (Chinese replica) (I can't afford to do "better" : Cheesy: ) as soon as I rehabilitate my recording studio this winter, I will try ...: the hardest part will be to find the kettle! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Leydorn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

The common sense solution

by Leydorn » 11/11/14, 21:59

Something that amateur scientists sometimes lack is the bursting of bubbles, without any link with temperature, of course.

On earth :
A bubble bursts in the air (gas-> gas): plop
A bubble bursts in water (gas-> liquid): bloub
A bubble bursts in the earth (gas-> solid): pshp
A bubble bursts in the fire (gas-> solid / gas): cre
A bubble bursts in the plasma (gas-> plasma): to listen to Cadarrache or in the portable fusion engines of Lockheed Martin.

A bubble bursts in space:
-in vacuum, no propagation of the acoustic wave.
-in a black hole, aspiration of the acoustic wave and reactive molecules
-on a star, reaction depending on the possible atmosphere.

NOISE is an electromagnetic wave, like light.

Only GRAVITY acts on electromagnetic waves.
0 x
Leydorn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Leydorn » 12/11/14, 03:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8czXsHzGPxM

A buBBle which fiZZles, a Whistle that struGGles.

If someone manages to equate (molar eh of course) the formation of a bubble in an artificial plasma (bZZ), you will be entitled to another BonBon.

Have you seen the bubbles of Seltz water, Guerlain, the sea under water skiing, the voice?

Have you ever blown in the water?

Do you like it with your mouth?

What a relation to the heat, come on, friends, a little common sense! : Cheesy:

Edict: as I know very well that here nobody will be able to theorize the slightest plasma data, even blood, I thank you for the wait, here it goes, the good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIayQA80G4
0 x
Leydorn
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Leydorn » 12/11/14, 04:38

More than an hour later ...

For the sound (produced inter alia by the bursting of bubbles, which occupies us on this thread) emitted in space, cf. for example chapter ten of http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-20h/2014/le-20-heures-du-11-novembre-2014-8513801.html

[Image too big compared to the format supported by the site. (deleted by Flytox)]
0 x
Did67

Re: The common sense solution

by Did67 » 12/11/14, 17:04

Leydorn wrote:
NOISE is an electromagnetic wave, like light.

There, I think we get lost:

- an electromagnetic wave crosses the vacuum, or a wall ... The light does not cross a wall but the vacuum ...

- the sound does not propagate in a vacuum, nor through a wall (if it is waterproof) [on the other hand, banging against a wall, it causes impact noise, but no electromagnetic wave; or the wall can vibrate under the impact of noise on one side, and transmit it like a membrane on the other side; it's a matter of mass ...]

I think it is accepted that noise is a vibration, therefore a wave in the sense of waves and not electromagnetic, which is transmitted in the air and reaches our ears, where it vibrates the eardrum ...

I invite you to take an interest in the noise generated by the dunes in Namibia: on certain specific slopes, at a certain distance from the sea. And not elsewhere.

http://www.america-dreamz.com/info/chant_dunes_info.php

It's not a trick [I lived 4 years in Namibia]

Why ??? Because at this distance, the quartz particles have the size necessary so that when they enter into vibration [the sand must be made to "flow out" while letting itself slide with the slope], they generate a dull noise. 'an audible frequency. If the grains are larger, or less coarse, and if they do not have the shape they have there, nothing is heard ... [which does not mean that there is no has no sound]. That's why it only works in certain places in the world ...

So I think that the noise of the kettle is indeed a resonance of micro-bubbles around the resistance, which, in fact, is brutal! To my knowledge, pots of water heated on gas or a plate also make a noise at some point. Less strong. Where am I hallucinating ??? Tinnitus victim ???
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Why water makes noise in an electric kettle

by Obamot » 12/11/14, 17:37

Question of the original post VS [...]:

Did67 wrote:
Christophe wrote:It's all in the title: I've been asking myself this question for years ... why does water (long before it boils) make noise in an electric kettle?

It was the Friday question! : Cheesy:
So I think that the noise of the kettle is indeed a resonance entry of the micro-bubbles around the resistance

Indeed we move away did67, we are not at all interested in the noise of the bubbles, but in the one just before, when it starts to thrill!

PS: and are we going to leave this screenshot at 20 p.m., which turns the whole layout of the thread upside down and has nothing to do with it?
0 x