The future "drives" of mass distribution?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Did67

by Did67 » 08/06/13, 11:02

It all depends on what we compare:

a) to the current situation, with the majority of sgens going to do their shopping at a super / hypermarket

My reflection is at this level: not sure that it is not a "gain" [I do not have a drive near my job, but otherwise, I can imagine doing my shopping in this way, it is- that is to say choose the evening on the internet and take delivery the next day before returning; while I am often too "wrung out" and too in a hurry to go shopping again; so I "go back down on Saturday"!]

b) or an ideal situation, ecological, etc ...

It is clear that this is only an adaptation of the "consumer society" model:

- which does not seem bad from the point of view of employment (let's not forget that there was talk of removing the cashiers!)

- which can, at the margin, improve the energy or carbon "balance"

- which interests the groups because it is for them a new surge of liberalism (they can "open" where they want these "companies")

I think the model is in the process of switching from "drive backed by a hyper" (not profitable; it started as a "service" so in short as advertising) to "specialized drive" (Amazon-style business, rationally managed to reduce the time that employees take to fill a caddy; with this second advantage of building these "entrepreneurs" where they want; our Breton hypermarketist friend is very strong in this niche and is emitting the whole of France at a frantic pace ]

But 100% agree, it is an optimization of the consumer society (I am, alas, right in the middle)
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 08/06/13, 15:53

Remundo wrote:the drive occupies less of this and less of that ...

Except that very often, the drive is attached to a large "traditional" area, almost always of the same brand. It serves as a warehouse, disposes of a few unsold items; there are some synergies between the supermarket and the drive.

the drive is the simple extension of the hyperconsumption company, to buy even faster, with always more gray energy.

To buy a kg of salt, you will need: Internet + computer / mobile phone + car + road and motorway + trucks bringing the supplies with big shots of Diesel.

If you think about the materialistic chain required by Supermarket Drive, it is colossal, no doubt we will never exceed such a "level". It is oil and its overexploitation that lead to these perfectly artificial lifestyles.

But I concede that it can be handy for homo petroleum urbanibus : for example a mother with a large family does not have to drag her children to the shelves, an active bachelor does her shopping in 5 minutes ...

@+

Excellent analysis!
The "drives" are only one "systemic adjustment variable" linked to the development of NICTs.
The "drives" (noted Anglicism!) Will not replace traditional hypermarkets, they simply allow to create a new logic in the appropriation of goods.

In addition, the flock of cookies and spyware quickly identify consumers' tastes and offer them unnecessary parallel products, so don't count on it to stop compulsive shopping ...

An umpteenth screen ... of "sustainable development" in short!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 08/06/13, 16:20

Remundo wrote:the drive is the simple extension of the hyperconsumption company, to buy even faster, with always more gray energy.

Reminder: global warming is a joke, but let's do the math anyway.

Maritime transport: 15 g CO2 / tonne / km
Car transport: 150 g CO2 / km

10 kilos of fruit and vegetables that have traveled 10000 km in a freighter = 10 km by car.

And 1kg of French tomatoes in a heated greenhouse = 3kg of CO2 : Mrgreen:

Conclusion: I will buy my cheeses at the farm by bike.

Otherwise, Amazon and Google are in the niche (Amazon Fresh and Google Shopping Express).
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 08/06/13, 21:04

I did the test last night, 3 minutes chrono in hand to do my shopping (apart from the time spent on the site to order of course)
It's not even the time it usually takes to park and enter the store.
The order was ready at the appointed time with confirmation by SMS 10 minutes before.
The time saved is there. Generally to buy the same thing (ten items for my weekend meals at work) it requires me to stop at least 30 minutes (sometimes more on busy days during school holidays) which lengthens d 'so much my journey time.

On the other hand, a big bad point for the environment: the return of disposable plastic shopping bags! While nature has not yet finished "digesting" those that the supermarkets spit out all day long and that it took so much effort to make people abandon them, they are coming back through the back door.

Certainly it only takes 10s for the order picker to switch your shopping from his cart to your trunk (yes you don't even have to load your shopping yourself) it would have been better to find another solution than these damn plastic bags
:frown:
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/06/13, 21:13

for bags, it's easy: paper bags, or reused packaging boxes. Just a matter of will.

at the limit, the famous "biodegradable" plastic bags
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 08/06/13, 23:26

Remundo wrote:the drive is the simple extension of the hyperconsumption company, to buy even faster, with always more gray energy.
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think so. The gray energy of the smartphone, the Internet, ... is still consumed.
Let's say it's a smarter use.
In general, it is Madame "who does the shopping" and I believe that the time she spends there is still considerable, but it is at home. Then it is I who will withdraw them (and pay them) at the Drive because it is exactly on my path (200m more on my route, which says better). Optimization and task sharing.
So far, none of the delivery men have noticed that he was filling the trunk of an electric car. :|
Except the day I stopped there, not to withdraw from the shopping but to beg for a few amperes hours necessary to reach the house, which they very kindly accepted.
8)
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 09/06/13, 06:47

great lemon : Idea:

But in itself the drive is nothing new.

On cdiscount I order the household appliances to be delivered to the nearest depot. 25kms go in 305D. It's a big saving on the port.

All small packages are in relay point (free or cheaper port), chosen on my round trip to work. I can go there by bike otherwise and sometimes even recover the package on Sunday.
An SMS / email warns of the arrival of the package, just give name / first name or see the email / SMS. Useful smartphone.

However one day I ordered a truck adapter for a 46 ratchet wrench. They sent a delivery truck for something as big as 2 packs of cigarettes. :frown: € 20 postage included.
The delivery man calls me: "I answer him: Throw over the wall and sign for me, it's cool and have a day"
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/06/13, 12:09

citro wrote:As far as I'm concerned, I don't think so. The gray energy of the smartphone, the Internet, ... is still consumed.
Let's say it's a smarter use.

The more time people spend on their smartphones and computers, the more they become dependent on it, it's a societal fact that should not be forgotten.
As for the purely sanitary aspect, the few minutes spent in front of a screen are not to walk in the interminable shelves of hypermarkets, it may be insignificant for someone sports, but for many people c is often the only muscle activity of the week ...

The concept of "drive" is straight out of the "fast food" restaurant, it is - once again - the vision inherited from "the american way of life", or the principle is to do everything sitting with your ass in your car ...

It would also be interesting to carry out a study on the number of employees in a classic "drives" VS "hypermarkets" ... knowing that in the first case, rotten contracts are even more present than in the second!

What is more, drives are for the most part not even profitable, a shame!

Intermarché - the sign says "in full commando operation" - admits it. "Some drives are profitable. Others are not," admits Patricia Chatelain, international marketing director at the Mousquetaires brand which, after 76 openings, has started 132 this year. "It's a complicated, demanding job," also acknowledges the manager of Auchan Drive, Pascal Damien, ensuring, however, that the northern brand would not commit to 30 openings in 2013 without a guarantee of profitability.

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-finance/services/distribution/20120601trib000701562/le-drive-menace-t-il-l-hypermarche-.html
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/06/13, 12:12

On the social aspect of "drives", a street article 89:

Drive: customers, do you know what's going on in the hangar?

Laure B., 27, a former handler at E. Leclerc in Haute-Savoie, tells of a system in which poor statistics promise immediate punishment.

Everyone knows the E. Leclerc chain, but who knows the principle of the "drive" from Ville-la-Grand in Haute-Savoie? It's a new operating system. All it takes is a shed full of goods, people looking for work and an overbearing manager.

Customers place their orders on the Internet and then pick up their groceries there, that's the drive.

Equipped with a "scanner", a cart named "Dolly" - which they must never leave behind under penalty of reprisals and a weekly contract - employees fill bags with the items ordered.

It is an incessant game: the worker does not stop for four or five hours while waiting for his only daily break of one hour.

When I was hired, I was introduced to the company as a "social enterprise".

managed to get someone else fired

The instrument of this extreme precariousness, the "scanner", eagerly monitors. It is the essential tool as well as the infiltrated spy of the superiors. Grafted to our hand, it records the time that the worker spends between each item, the time it takes to place an order and the time when "he does nothing".

Positioned in front of their computers, the superiors follow us step by step, minute by minute, in the vastness of this hangar.

The workers are then put, without knowing it, in competition, not on the quality of their work but on the statistics created by their performance. I have experienced bad statistics and the penalty is immediate: dismissal.

The scanettes (Laure B.)

The director comes at the end of each month and sorts it out. It returns the last five which are at that time at the end of the list [with bad statistics, note]. Which should have been my case.

A warning was given to me and I had two hours, watch in hand, to go back up. The race begins for me in the hangar by catching the products placed on the shelves, throwing them in the bags without knowing if I crush the bread or the crisps, chain the orders and jostle the colleagues on the shelves.

After all these kilometers covered in the dust of the boxes and the will to keep this job, I managed to go up in the statistics and get someone fired.
Hope to have a contract ... of two weeks

But we do not fire at Leclerc, this little grocery store that has become a big company where "the employee has rights and is considered", takes care not to discredit himself and above all not to have to pay compensation to the employees. Weekly contracts (like mine) are proof of that. Just do not renew the contract.

It's the rope around the neck of workers who become survivors week by week, hoping to one day have a two-week contract. Would Edouard Leclerc, the founder of this grocery store, turn around in his grave knowing this?

Is a rope under contract and a whip (the "scanner") for working tools really a company with a "social dimension"? This is the price to buy cheaper at Leclerc. After all the advertisements touting this, one might wonder why.
"The economy, you know nothing about it"

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Without speaking of the dignity put at the lowest of the worker, the latter is considered as a tool necessary for the performance. He can be laid off when he does not pick up the boxes on the ground if the director sees him.

He may not renew a person's contract without the worker having committed professional misconduct. And in addition, it goes through vulgar terms to be understood.

The worker is seen as an individual, if I may say so, stupid. As the director says:

"The economy, you don't know anything about it, but if the cash doesn't go to this store, it goes to the United States with Amazon." "

These shortcuts are made to keep the worker going faster.
With the complicity of customers

The absurdity that reigns in this hangar also affects customers. The service offered by Leclerc Drive also involves loading the order into the customer's safe.

They watch us put their many bags of food, their water packs in their trunk without helping us since it is a free service. Gratuity brings the laziness of some and the sacrifice of others.

Lifting filled bags and packs throughout the day repeatedly without learning the right moves - because performance comes first - does not keep physical health.
Team spirit would sign the end of the business

It is even of the order of exhaustion. The worker is thus emptied of all essence, without any sense of the function of his work. The clients then become accomplices of the superiors without even being aware of it.

Who is aware of what is going on behind these doors? Leaving from Leclerc does not cause any difficulty because:

either the contract is not renewed,
or the worker leaves on his own by physical and moral exhaustion.

This is why this company hires more than the others: there is a "turnover" of the workers, so that nobody can sympathize or communicate because the team spirit would be the end of the company.
I chose a voluntary departure

I chose voluntary departure. I warned my superiors more than a month in advance and surprisingly they wanted me to sign a longer contract, for once!

I refused to sign so as not to be in breach of the contract and lose my benefits. I was told:

“The dates are not important, they are only formalities. "

Despite this touching attention, I maintained my refusal.

A departure after two and a half months of work is equivalent to seven contracts (since I was lucky to have one of two weeks and one of three weeks), and of course a balance of any account including the indemnities of each contract .

Receiving the departure papers and the check, I detailed my balance. And as there are no more surprises with Leclerc because "at Leclerc, it's cheaper", the same is true for the balance of any account: I was missing the money from my precarious premiums.
No excuses for my insecurity bonus

How can a company of this scale with a so-called social philosophy forget this? Knowing that after numerous telephone calls to the accountant who was still unavailable, the latter, once my situation had been rectified, was unable to give me the slightest explanation or even to apologize.

Is it incompetence pushed to its climax? Or a usual method, conscious and voluntary, which seems obvious to me. You would think you were walking on your head.

We tried to contact the management of Leclerc Drive in Ville-la-Grand on Monday afternoon, who did not respond to our requests.

http://www.rue89.com/2013/02/25/drive-clients-avez-vous-conscience-de-ce-qui-se-passe-dans-le-hangar-240026
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 09/06/13, 12:38

Laure B., 27, ex-handler at E. Leclerc ... [/ url]

And what was she hoping for, Laure?

That we give him € 6000 to sit on a terrace drinking cold tea?

Was it his first work experience?

Did she discover that real life was not what she had learned about Fessebouc?

A little serious, please ...
0 x