ecolo-vegetarian meat alternatives, big polluter!

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Eco-vegetarian substitutes for meat, big pollutes!

by sicetaitsimple » 30/03/19, 17:42

Janic wrote: so inquire. The USA grow (they don't do it themselves, not crazy guys) the corn and soybeans, which they need for breeding, in South America (not all) and therefore export (to Europe between others,) "their" crops

Source?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 30/03/19, 19:22

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Janic wrote: so inquire. The USA grow (they don't do it themselves, not crazy guys) the corn and soybeans, which they need for breeding, in South America (not all) and therefore export (to Europe between others,) "their" crops

Source?

Do not get tired of looking for a source, you will have a hard time convincing someone (at least not me) that American customs officials are badgers. They are net exporters of soybeans, and largely.

It can happen to tell a bullshit, in this case either we recognize it or we do not insist ...

So for China I looked, you were right, they are very largely net importers and their main supplier (with some ups and downs since Trump) is ..... the United States!
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 31/03/19, 10:36

Don't get tired of looking for a source, you'll have trouble convincing someone ( at least not me) that US customs officials are badgers. They are net exporters of soybeans, and largely.
You believe what you want, we are still in a democracy ... for now! :?
It can happen to tell a bullshit, in this case either we recognize it or we do not insist ...
as you say!!!
So for China I looked, you were right, they are very largely net importers and their main supplier (with some ups and downs since Trump) is ..... the United States!

https://www.ritimo.org/La-Chine-aide-t-elle-l-Afrique
Land grabbing
The purchase of agricultural land by the Chinese has helped to increase resentment against them. In 2007, the director of the Export-Import Bank of China encouraged Chinese landless peasants to settle in Africa. China has 22% of the world's population and has only 7% of the cultivable land. According to the Land Matrix database, Chinese land acquisitions represent 290 hectares, 000 times less than the United States, 15 times less than the United Kingdom. The size of farms is relatively small (with the exception of the DRC). They are located in Benin, Mali, Madagascar, Mozambique, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, etc. In Cameroon, Sino Cam Inko [6] settled on three sites totaling 5 hectares, ceded by the State. China is not one of the biggest land investors in Africa such as South Korea, the Gulf countries, Western institutions,…. It acquires twice as much land in South America and Southeast Asia.
But caution is also essential on this subject in the absence of rigorous statistics and because of the lack of transparency on both sides of the protagonists in the establishment of contracts. Two camps of experts clash: those who claim that the productions are intended for nationals and the local population and those who argue that Africa would serve to guarantee food self-sufficiency of China and who are skeptical about the merits of Chinese action. It is true that the flows of agricultural exports are not massive from Africa to China and that there are many projects for the development of rice cultivation, the creation of agricultural centers for local production, but also projects industrial in nature with products such as sugar, cassava, palm oil. It also appears that in the negotiations on Chinese investments, the consultation of the local populations is insignificant.
what this article does not specify is that China does not only buy, it rents for 99 years for a paltry rent with very, very cheap local labor.
to compare with
http://www.iris-france.org/51130-chine- ... en-wagner /
already quoted and I swear I am not the author of these few articles!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 31/03/19, 19:23

So I don't have the sources, if it's factual I think it's easy to verify.
It seems that 50% of the cereals cultivated in the world are found at one time to another "unfit for human consumption" (according to our European food safety criteria of course ...) for a whole lot of reasons (contamination by insects, toxic molds, etc ...)
So the "recycling" of these cereals into animal food, and therefore into meat, would be a lesser evil compared to pure losses.
All this remains to be checked, of course.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 31/03/19, 22:20

Forhorse wrote:So I don't have the sources, if it's factual I think it's easy to verify.
It seems that 50% of the cereals cultivated in the world are found at one time to another "unfit for human consumption" (according to our European food safety criteria of course ...) for a whole lot of reasons (contamination by insects, toxic molds, etc ...)
So the "recycling" of these cereals into animal food, and therefore into meat, would be a lesser evil compared to pure losses.
All this remains to be checked, of course.

I have read (or seen, our inenarable Konrad Schreiber I think) that too, I still have some doubts insofar as the percentage of cereals intended for human consumption (food) is higher than the percentage intended for animal feed according to the FAO document referenced below (page 1, which is not the first page!). And since we do not only give "corrupt" cereals to animals ....

http://www.fao.org/3/ca0239en/CA0239EN.pdf

A very interesting document for a whole bunch of orders of magnitude.

PS: perhaps by adding the use of biofuels to animal feed it becomes more credible.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 01/04/19, 18:27

Janic wrote:
"So find out. The US cultivates (they don't do it themselves, not crazy guys) corn and soybeans, which they need for breeding, in South America (not everything) and therefore exports ( towards Europe among others,) "their" harvests ".

So factually, according to the FAO document cited above:

For the corn, the USA would have on the 2017/2018 season, produced 356,6Mt, imported 1,2Mt and exported 54Mt, for a world production of 1044Mt

For oilseeds in general (including soybeans), production 131,6Mt, import 1,8Mt, export 57,8Mt for world production of 584Mt.

There, there .....
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 01/04/19, 18:38

Forhorse wrote:So I don't have the sources, if it's factual I think it's easy to verify.
It seems that 50% of the cereals cultivated in the world are found at one time to another "unfit for human consumption" ...

and even 100%, after we have digested them : Lol:
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"