What are the different types and models of “stove” type wood-burning appliances and with which types of wood are they compatible?
The reader will carefully read the introduction to this “wood heating” dossier: why choose firewoodFor any questions on wood heating, see our forum heating and insulation.
The type of wood-burning appliance essentially depends on the type of firewood used, itself depending on the utility and the function of your type of wood-burning: main or additional, hydraulic or hot air?
The 2 main families of wood-burning appliances
A: “individual” heaters; ie heating in a single "hot" point. Obviously, the heat can spread to the rest of the house more or less efficiently.
A1: logs stoves, briquettes or charcoal
A2: pellet stoves
A3: hydraulic stoves with hot water production (heating or domestic hot water)
A4: other types of wood-burning appliances
B: appliances connecting to central heating (generally hydraulic but can be forced hot air); that is to say a wood-fired boiler type device, most often with pellets.
Between the 2, there are the hydraulic stoves which on the one hand heat the room and on the other have the possibility of connecting to the central heating. We have classified these devices in the 1st family.
Finally, there are many other wood-burning appliances that do not fall into the above categories:
- wood stoves,
- complete wood-burning stoves (often hybridized with several energies: wood + gas and / or electric),
- pellet and log stoves,
- wood stoves with “bread or pizza oven” function (often included in mass stoves, otherwise ask for it!),
- pans with a small “cooking plate” (see “barbecue” option…)… to see how residual odors are managed?
Do not hesitate to take a tour on our forum and ask your question if necessary (choice, doubts ...): forum wood heating you can even suggest additions or corrections to this folder on the topic dedicated to this folder firewood.
Links to learn more
2 Heating with wood every day: maintenance and improvements:
- Heating and wood fireplace: How to avoid chimney fires. Maintenance and dimensions
- Regulation on chimneys, standards and law
- Make a hot water collector on a wood stove
- The manufacture of pellets: diagram of a factory
3) The pollution of wood heating:
4) Feedback from wood heating experiences:
- Presentation and photos of another pellet boiler installation in Alsace at a private home
- Auto installation of our wood boiler Deom Turbo explanations and mounting scheme
- effective yield estimate of our stove Boiler Turbo Deom
- Forum wood heating and insulation