Exceptional page following the Asian disaster!
Reminder of the new written 28 / 12 / 04 (the body count was at 50 000)
“As you all must know, a few days ago in South-East Asia, a violent earthquake triggered a Tsunami of a rare extent affecting very many coastal countries of the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean.
Three days after the disaster, the facts are alarming: more than 25 “official” victims and more than 000 missing. A few hundred tourists, including Europeans, are to be counted among the victims. And this fatal count is not over! We can fear a final toll of more than 30 victims!
How much would this number be reduced if effective monitoring, foresight and communication had been in place? In a few years, such devices will undoubtedly be put in place, but this proves, once again, the relative incompetence of man to take preventive actions ... but such catastrophes also show the solidarity of which man is capable. Why is it only in times of crisis and emergency? Triumphant individual capitalism must have something to do with it! It is up to each of us to reverse this trend!
Several French humanitarian organizations multiply calls for donations after the tidal wave disaster in Asia:
- The French Secours Populaire announced that it had released emergency aid of 100.000 euros. Financial donations, specifies the humanitarian organization, can be addressed the French Secours Populaire BP 3303, 75123 3 Paris cedex or site www.secourspopulaire.asso.fr.
- The organization Action against Hunger (ACF), present in Sri Lanka since 1996, was to charter a cargo plane to bring tents, communication equipment, generators, water purification equipment. The organization says it is “worried about a foreseeable deterioration in the nutritional situation”. Checks can be made payable to Action Against Hunger, 4 rue Niepce, 75014 in Paris; CCP 28 20 W Paris; secure donations on the internet www.actioncontrelafaim.org.
- The Unicef office in Paris announced that emergency equipment was ready to be sent by plane from its storage center in Copenhagen. Donations from Unicef “South Asia earthquake emergency”, BP 600, 75006 Paris.
- The French Red Cross (CRF) specified for its part that it "relay" to the French the appeal of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent which launched Sunday an appeal to collect 5 million euros to come in helps some 500.000 people. Donations to French Red Cross "Earthquake Asia" BP 100, 75008 Paris or to www.croix-rouge.fr
- The Catholic Committee against Hunger and for Development (CCFD), which has supported “for years dozens of local associations, several of which have been severely affected by this disaster”, asks to help these associations “so that they can relaunch their work programs as quickly as possible”. Donations CCFD, 4 rue Jean Lantier 75001 Paris; checks payable to CCFD “urgence Asie”; CCP 46 00 F - Paris transfers.
- The French Islamic Relief has released 200.000 euros for "first emergency aid" and is appealing to raise one million euros. Donations to the CCP 29 19 D Paris postal account or on the internet www.secours-islamique.org/dons.
Thanks for them !