Manual construction of a 2m2 Scheffler solar cooker reflector. Cooking with the sun will give you pleasure!
Daniel Philippen Adrian Konrad, Benjamin Leimgruber. With the help of Wolfgang Scheffler, Heike Hoedt (Solare Brücke)
Translation: William Renault
This document 56 pages explains step by step how to build a solar cooker with parabolic concentration of high quality.
Tips for using a 2m2 Scheffler reflector cooker
- In a perimeter of about 1m around the entrance of the venue box (focal ring)
flammable material must be present.
- Do not look where the light is concentrated, for example the steel damper. Use sunglasses!
- Close the valve before removing the pan from the venue box to protect your eyes.
- Install the cooker in the north-south direction with the help of a compass. The cooking must be held in the north and south reflector.
- Put the solar cooker flat, which means that the cooking place is leveled by adjusting the telescopic foot and the second foot.
- It is advisable to fix the solar cooker to the ground, so that it is not overturned by the wind.
- To move the reflector around its axis of rotation in the direction of the sun, the tracking system will align exactly.
- Seasonal adjustment: Loosen the two telescopic adjustment tubes and change
the inclination of the reflector around the lateral axis until the light rays
reach the closed control valve. Now tighten a telescopic tube for fixing one end of the reflector.
1) Make move up reflector down through the second telescopic tube.
Get the focal point as small as possible, then tighten the screw, thereby blocking the second telescopic tube.
2) Then loosen the first blocked tube, and made the move up reflector
low to obtain the focal point as specific as possible. then tighten the second screw.
Repeat these steps as many times as necessary until no longer obtain
- Set the pan on the cooking place and open the valve.
- The use of a pan made of very conductive material (ie aluminum) and with a thick base makes it possible to avoid burning the food in the center, where the heat is strongest.
- The outer base of the pan should be black to absorb sunlight.
- The friction coupler on the reducer can change in its ability to resist. The
contact pressure of the spring on the pinion can be adjusted with the M12 nut and the
M12 against nut (use two keys 19mm).
Caution: Do not exert force on the axis of the reducer by tightening or loosening the
- The spring on the valve can be adjusted in the same way.
- To clean the reflective surface, dishwashing liquid and a sponge or cloth can be used. Rinse the surface with a drop of dishwashing liquid (thus no drop of water remains on the reflective surface).