Process for the production of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons and products obtained by this process.
Here are the claims of Doctor Laigret from his patent about the production of oil and gas by biological fermentation.
Claims and abstract of the patent Dr. Laigret
The present invention includes:
1) The application of anaerobic microorganisms, in particular bacilli of the bacillus perfringens class, to the production of hydrocarbons by fermentation of organic substances in the presence of catalysts, more particularly silica and traces of iodine.
2) A process specific to the implementation of the application specified under 1) and mainly consisting in maintaining, in the presence of silica, under the conditions for conducting an anaerobic fermentation, an aqueous and neutral solution which contains, on the one hand , one or more substances from the category consisting of lower aliphatic acids, soluble salts of aliphatic acids and lower aliphatic alcohols, on the other hand iodine, microorganisms, of the bacillus perfringens type and nutrients for these bacilli.
3) Modes of execution of the process specified under 1) presenting the following particularities taken separately or according to the various possible combinations:
- The bacilli used are those of strain number 5029 from the Institut Pasteur in Paris;
- The medium in which the fermentation takes place contains about 0,01 to 0,02% iodine;
- The silica is placed in the fermentation enclosure in a bed whose height represents at least the sixth part of that of celite and of the liquid which overcomes it;
- Silica is used in the form of kieselguhr,
- The fermentation medium is maintained at a temperature of about 30 to 37 ° C;
- An aqueous solution of nutrients is prepared, the nitrogen content of which does not exceed that of a 1% solution of peptones, is added iodine and a culture of pure bacilli, it is placed on a bed of silica sterile, the fermentable substance or substances are added and these are renewed each time they are consumed;
- A methane fermentation is initially caused by using a lower aliphatic acid or a salt of such an acid as fermentable material and, when this fermentation has started to occur, the fermentation process is ensured by re-feeding with one or more acids or salts of acids of this kind or by supplying with one or more salts of higher aliphatic acids or with one or more alcohols (if necessary in the form of aqueous alcoholic solutions) or alternatively, with one or more acids or salts of lower aliphatic acids and with one or more of the substances of the other two species.
4) As new industrial products:
- aqueous olutions of the type defined in 2)
- Gaseous mixtures and liquid mixtures based on hydrocarbons which can be prepared by the means indicated under 1), 2) or 3).
Jean Philippe Marie Ferdinand LAIGRET.