You decided to build an ecological house? All in your honor ! But have you considered the insurance you will choose to protect your home, as well as green equipment? Some information should help you better understand the problem of insurance equipment.
Remember to keep your insurer informed
Do not imagine that your green home is like a traditional home. It is imperative to ensure it in the right conditions so you do not find yourself in trouble in the event of unforeseen circumstances. This type of construction has very specific constraints so before choosing an insurer, try to list the ecological equipment that would need special insurance.
In fact, environmentally friendly appliances or materials are often more expensive than traditional equipment even if you have benefited from a help device. The financial investment is heavier for your budget and so they need to be well protected so you do not need a premature replacement on your savings. Your Home Insurance must therefore integrate the specificities of ecological equipment.
Why is it essential to sign specific contracts?
Some insurance companies have realized the need to review their offerings to adapt to new types of construction. So they imagined an offer dedicated to green building. These specific contracts provide real protection if ecological equipment such as heat pumps, woodstoves, biological insulation or solar panels are damaged by a fire, flood or destruction by a third party: inquire from your insurance company to establish an estimate and discuss the arrangements to be made based on the type of equipment that is included in the offer.
Specific protected materials
When building your green home, you have chosen durable and respectful materials of the environment. For insurance to take into account these materials, they must be recognized in the contract that you will sign. Insurance companies have understood the importance of valuing the installation of this type of material. They have therefore established Optimal and interesting covers to help you protect your home.
What are the exclusion clauses?
All insurance offers are not equal! Some seem very attractive and highlight the term "ecology" to attract customers, so you must be particularly attentive to the exclusion clauses. Talk to your insurer about these clauses before signing the contract.
You must be sure that the chosen offer does not exclude the main ecological equipment of your home. Explore the small lines of the contract to confirm that a bioclimatic house is well insured if she were to come under fire. Ask your insurer questions that will explain what are the equipment protected or not by the insurance contract. Check that all the clauses are in line with your needs.
Your green home has required expensive investments to be less impactful on the environment and to produce its own energy, so enter into a contract that will allow you to protect them against theft, degradation, bad weather and fires.
Are home insurance offers more expensive?
Of course, the more special options you add, the better protected you will be. But he does not have to make your "green" insurance more expensive than traditional home insurance. Indeed, some companies reward the fact that their customers have decided to invest in ecological housing: the cost of the insurance premium for environmentally friendly housing and equipment may therefore be lower than a conventional contract. Insurance has understood the interest of pushing investors to opt for green projects, so do not hesitate to make requests for quotes to your insurer to protect all your equipment.
What are the specific guarantees of an "ecological" insurance?
The insurance contracts provided for green housing and equipment are different from traditional home insurance.
For what types of ecological constructions?
Green housing is covered by a multi-risk home insurance contract to protect:
- Photovoltaic panels
- Solar thermal installations
- Systems for recovery or treatment of rainwater
- Wood boilers
- Wind turbines
- Heat pumps
The guarantees you need for an ecological construction
It is here that you have to be particularly careful about the type of contract that you will sign with your insurance company. Check that your contract contains at least:
- A guaranteed financial losses : it allows you to face a possible breakdown of your equipment and guarantee the financial income if you signed a contract with EDF to resell the electricity that you produce at home.
- A damage to external property If some of your green equipment is located outside your home, it must be covered against theft, but also against damage. It is essential to think about this clause, because you surely invested a substantial sum to install solar panels. If they are not part of the insurance policy, you will not be helped if they suffer damage.
- A juridic protection You may disagree with the neighborhood that would be unhappy with your installation. Legal protection is a real solution for being accompanied and receiving sound advice in order to get out of this dispute as soon as possible.
Which constructions are considered ecological?
There are several types of eco-stamped constructions:
- Bioclimatic construction is a housing that has been designed to benefit the maximum from the exploitation of naturally produced energy. The house is exposed in a certain way so that the sun comes to warm the living rooms. The environment helps you reduce your energy bills and thus it is easier to use less heat, because the bioclimatic construction exploits the natural freshness of a building in summer and guarantees heat in winter.
- Low Consumption Home (BBC) : it is a standard set by precise specifications to ensure that the house has a really reduced energy need to offer optimal comfort. The permeability rate of these constructions is really low.
- La passive house : the building is designed to be able to produce the main part of the energy it needs for heating, lighting or water consumption.
Contact your insurer to inquire about the type of offers it offers for this type of equipment and for what ecological constructions. If you have questions, ask them on our forum dedicated to ecological houses and eco-construction