Using a hand pump in my kitchen

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Tesla3d
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Using a hand pump in my kitchen

by Tesla3d » 10/04/14, 11:51

Hello everybody

I am in full exploration before the realization of my autonomous and resilient home. Finally I should say rather independent and resilient because with the title my subject, the water will not flow by itself ... In short!

I thought of almost everything except the main one after having a roof over my head = water.

To be exact, I am thinking of inhaling vats of water to collect rainwater, but now it is a question of bringing it into the various parts of the house that will need to be supplied =

- Kitchen,
- Bathroom,
I voluntarily forget the toilets which will be dry toilets

Since I want to minimize my power consumption to avoid designing an installation too big / too expensive for my budget, but also to be less dependent in case of battery drain, I said to myself after seeing a video :
"This hand pump system is great for the kitchen!"

But already, while I have not even thought about the design of the sanitary installation for the bathroom which I think will be more complex, I am getting to this first problem:

- Can my hand pump be supplied with water when it is not just above my water reserve?
I specify that my tanks will be buried at the back of the house.

- How to filter my water, upstream or downstream for what is consumable (not necessarily drinkable because I already use a filter)?

Thank you for your attention to this post. However, if my request is not clear or if you have any details to know, I would be happy to answer you.

PS: It has been months since I lurkais on the forum, I decided to start ... Finally :D
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/04/14, 12:22

when i was little i saw a house in the country with a well and a semi rotary japy pump on the sink

to have water no tap: you had to pump

these japy pumps were quite expensive, and complicated to manufacture

if I had to make a pump for this use it would rather be a menbrane pump

it can suck up to 6 meters, so no problem to draw from a tank

theoretically it can work up to 9,5 to 10m depending on the atmospheric pressure ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/04/14, 13:14

Personally I would rather choose a pump to operate with the foot ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Tesla3d
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Tesla3d » 10/04/14, 14:59

Thank you for your answers, but they lead me to other questions ^^

chatelot16 wrote:I saw a house in the country with a well and a semi rotary japy pump on the sink

The Japy pump looks like a hand pump in what I could see (on this website), but could I use it according to the functioning that I want to make of it, knowing that I have no well on my ground?

chatelots wrote:if I had to make a pump for this use it would rather be a menbrane pump

Second question: I just looked on the internet, but I admit that with my knowledge, I am not able to understand the operation of the diaphragm pump. How does it work?
And could you elaborate on what would motivate you to make this choice?
Your answer leaves me on my end :?

Regarding the foot pump, I find the idea extra, but after some information gleaned from the net, I note that they do not have a sufficient flow (6l / minutes large MAX) for domestic use.
Other manual hand pumps have a flow rate of approximately 15l / min.
In addition, my tanks being "remote", I am not even sure to have sufficient pressure or at least sufficient output flow ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/04/14, 15:20

Well, just try to wash your hands under a hand pump ...
11l / min for this one
http://www.bigship.com/catalogue/vie-a- ... uble-effet

What is very important to size your pump will not be the distance but the height to go up ... if the bottoms of your tanks are more than 5 meters (in height) from the pump you will need serious pumps. ..

Research
jappy
Knaught
Dead
This is good cam ...
Remember to install foot check valves close to your tank strainer because if the pump is far re-prime 20 liters of empty pipe ... It is painful.

I use rainwater for my house I do a simple mechanical filtration at 25,5, and 1 micron (three polypropylene cartridges in series) Be careful though, we wash, we wash the dishes and the laundry with but we do not not drink it (except me in my tea but even boiled it sometimes has a little taste of fed up with ducks it did not make me sick so far)
Last edited by Macro the 10 / 04 / 14, 15: 34, 1 edited once.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Tesla3d
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Tesla3d » 10/04/14, 15:24

Macro wrote:Well, just try to wash your hands under a hand pump ...
11l / min for this one
http://www.bigship.com/catalogue/vie-a- ... uble-effet

Ahahah already done, just fill a bowl before ^^

But the sight of this pump must make me lean towards this type of model. But again, with my constraints will she have enough pressure?
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/04/14, 15:44

If it is to fill you with a sink, a pan or a basin yes it will be more than enough ... For the jacusi (I even know how it is written) it will be log and painful ...

What is especially important is the height to raise.

The big difference between a lever jappy and a diaphragm pump is that the jappy has only one wear part (the gland packing of the shaft and I can guarantee you that you will have the worn elbow before the cable gland)
Patay membrane heads come apart in seconds and are still very strong
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 10/04/14, 15:49

For the sink in the bathroom ditto (but for hot water how do you? Solar collector?) Will you have electricity?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/04/14, 17:02

Macro wrote:Well, just try to wash your hands under a hand pump ...

when you don't waste water you don't wash your hands under flowing water! we filled a bowl
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 10/04/14, 17:16

Tesla3d wrote:Second question: I just looked on the internet, but I admit that with my knowledge, I am not able to understand the operation of the diaphragm pump. How does it work?
And could you elaborate on what would motivate you to make this choice?
Your answer leaves me on my end :?

a diaphragm pump is like a piston pump except that the piston is replaced by a rubber diaphragm: the advantage is that it is easy to build, that there is no risk of leakage, that it's self priming

in fact we see this principle especially in a bilge pump: big flow but expensive ... not really suitable as a sink pump

http://www.occas-tillage.com/catalog/pr ... fd78348428
0 x