Finding solutions for pumping water without EDF

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 26/02/13, 19:55

Hi,

I am surprised by the problem posed because the concerns of greenhouse users are rather thermal.

I guess your greenhouse is far from the house and therefore from any roof. Otherwise, a solution that works perfectly is the recovery of roof water in a tank, a tank, in short something that can even have the look. But it is sure, it will be necessary to handle the watering can. I add that the solution of watering from stream water poses, part of the year, the problem of the water temperature often very cool and stressful for plants in a greenhouse environment.

As others have said, a reserve of water at the right temperature, a small pump and voila, as for the cost, it will be very low because the pump is used very sporadically.

In fact this is how I have been doing it for 30 years: water supply from the roof (from the greenhouse and / or from the roof of a hangar), a small pump in the greenhouse and small watering cans that I fill and that I store a day in the greenhouse to have the right temperature.

On the comments above, I share the analyzes.

Good luck and soon good sowing.

cordially
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/02/13, 19:59

Here is the picture:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 27/02/13, 00:44

I don't understand drawing well, but I just add it all up ... 2 + 0,5 + 2,5 = 5m

flow 240 l / day

theoretical pump power = pressure x flow

provided that iso iso: m3 / s and Pa

5m = 0,5 bar = 0,5daN / cm2 = 5 N / cm = 50000 N / m2 = 50000 Pa

240 l / d / 24 = 10 l / h
/ 3600 = 0,0027 l / s = 2,7e-6 m3 / s

50000 Pa x 2,7e-6 m3 / s = 0,138 W

that's tiny power for a pump that would run 24 hours a day

in the case of a pump powered by the sun it will run less time so will have to be more powerful ... say 1 / 10th of the time and it takes 1,3W

and there will be pressure drop in the pipe and it will take 1 bar rather than 0,5 ... 2,6w

and the pump efficiency will only be 50% 5w

or even worse the very small pump is bad, efficiency 0,25% so power of the pump 10W

it does not make a big solar panel to put ... the problem is rather to find a good pump as small

the classic solution is a 220V 600W pump which is 2m3 / h which will run 0,12h per day to pump your 240l

and will consume 600W x 0,12h = 72wh = 0,072kwh
a price to return derisory when one can pass an electric wire of the edf

it is not essential to put the pump at the bottom at the edge of the stream ... the pump can be at the top and the pipes in depression ... it is a little special and there are precautions to take but it can to avoid dragging a long 220v wire or avoid getting stuck in the pump
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 27/02/13, 11:03

Hello,

sorry, i misread your message it was not about watering in your greenhouse ...

So my words are irrelevant ...

cordially
0 x
devlie
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by devlie » 27/02/13, 12:39

no worries cortejuan, for the greenhouse I try this year a mulching technique since October and which should allow me to have a sufficiently fresh soil for my tomatoes all summer in the greenhouse (technique proposed by a gardener from the south who does not can not water and who uses this technique at home).

Actually the garden is far from the house by a 3 m street that I cannot cross with my water hose (to use the rainwater recovery tank) and if I put an electric cable it cannot be only for a very short time.

I bought a "cellar vacuum" pump last year to pump water from the garden. It helps out but it is not powerful enough to hose down the garden and is supplied by French Electricity Company. I also used it to fill a cistern which I used to water the greenhouse via a porous pipe. But to water on the embankment, I had to mount the watering cans

In short, I wish to find another more efficient system. In the meantime I mulch and I choose local species to reduce the need for watering, but I still have to take care of the plants already in place and more demanding in watering (notably a gunnera who drinks a lot)

thank you for your calculations chatelot16, I put my husband on it to see if he can find me a pump as you indicate.
0 x
Marilisa
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Marilisa » 18/04/13, 14:01

I don't really know if I will be able to help you but I installed an 800W booster pump with a 24L tank, this pump sucks the water in tanks which are 3 meters and it works well for the moment. And then everything will depend on what you want to do with your water: the garden or the whole house.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 18/04/13, 18:31

according to the plan, I think that a ram pump should be able to work if we are not too greedy on the flow.
a reservoir at the top of the garden to store the pumped water would correspond approximately to a drop of 3m from the level of the stream. it's not huge.
it is not indicated what length is the garden, that is to say the length usable in the stream to install the upstream pipe of the ram but, by putting a small ram at the lowest point of the stream, it must be able to work.
0 x
Click my signature
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 28/04/13, 16:10

Alain G wrote:Welcome to Devlie Ecology!

Our pro of ram pumps Oli will surely answer you better but in the meantime I do not understand what you mean here "not enough water level upstream and too downstream" because if there is enough difference in level in total you should be able to tap a ram right?

Hello, wow the ram pump pro, I'm interested in it, but I've never built one, however ask christophe or petitpetit
who created his site http://regis.petit2.perso.sfr.fr/belier.htm
0 x