Sealing of large diameter brass threads (pool)

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Sealing large diameter brass threads (pool)

by Forhorse » 29/10/18, 06:58

It is true that loctite (and equivalent) products cost a blind, especially since resellers generally take a good margin on it, and do not keep well.
You have to find a reseller who does not abuse too much and who has throughput (I have already seen expired products on the shelf and use that is guaranteed leakage)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/18, 10:36

Is that so? Is there an expiration date (even closed)? I have not paid attention...

Perhaps this explains the high cost?
0 x
SKR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SKR » 29/10/18, 13:46

Hello Christopher,
Thank you for your contribution!

You tell me that the tow is the most durable, but we are told that for such Ø (45, 55, 60 and 80 mm), the tow is not suitable.
> What do you think?

The pipes of our swimming pools are actually made of U-PVC, but the brass threads in question concern the parts to be sealed (in the walls and the concrete floor, then tiled).

You say that to seal an outside Ø 80 mm, you need € 10 of product at the rate of € 30 for 30 ml (= € 1 per ml), so 10 ml of product. However, with a thread of outside Ø of 80 mm, there is a thread (circumference) of 252 mm, which, with three turns of product, gives 756 mm, that is to say approximately 76 cm.
So you think it makes 10 ml of product for 76 cm of net, which would make 0,13 ml per cm of net.
>> Is this correct?

Hello Izentrop,
HENKEL's technical service did not tell me about their sealing wire (LOCTITE 55) for this type of application.

Hello Forhorse,
Thank you for warning us about the LOCTITE expiration problem!

You also tell me that the tow was more suitable for large fittings, but a plumber says that the diameter is far too large to use the tow. What do you think ?

The problem:
Some of our junctions are final for the parts to be sealed which, sometimes, are taken in the concrete of the walls or the floor of the tiled swimming pool and therefore remain inaccessible. In this case, the seal must be guaranteed for life. What is the solution that seems to satisfy this constraint?

A precision :
Type A parts (see photos) have a flat rubber seal on the thread side with an external Ø of 80 mm. However, it remains to obtain the sealing of the outlet thread (external Ø 60 mm).

Thanks again.

Kind regards.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 29/10/18, 21:17

Ask your plumber why the cord is not suitable for your diameters ... 80mm is not huge either. Personally I do not see why the tow would not be suitable but I am neither plumber nor pipefitter.
I have often seen 2 "or 2" 1/2 fittings sealed with tow and they did not leak (and some had been there for several decades ...)
So maybe for some reason that I ignore the tow does not work for very large diameters, but for 50 or 63 it seems to be suitable rather not bad ... for metal fittings is understood!
Because for metal / plastic or plastic / plastic actually it does not go.
0 x
SKR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by SKR » 29/10/18, 21:53

Thanks Forhorse. Precious answer!

It turns out that I also asked my question about another forum where interesting things were said.
In case the subject interests some of you, here is the address:

https://www.usinages.com/threads/etanch ... ne.115339/
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "