Self-contained rainwater project

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Autonomous rainwater project

by Grelinette » 08/08/19, 22:03

twentymak wrote:OK so basically I need a septic tank. It gets too complicated there. ...

No, a septic tank is when you balance all the wastewater in a large tank of several m3, the sludge accumulates at the bottom and the gray water leaves in a spreading.

In the case of reuse of shower water and washing machines, good grease filtration is required.
The principle of the grease trap is simple: a small tank with compartments with holes at the bottom. The floating swill accumulates at the top of the compartments, the degreased water passes through the holes at the base of the partitions of the compartments.
Imagine an aquarium in which you pour water loaded with soap and other micro-waste: you will see that this charged water remains on the surface.
It is basic as filtration but already it skims a lot.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 09/08/19, 10:56

If the fat floats, and there is material flowing, I can then bury a 1000L tank.
Let the water enter through a PVC tube of 32 or 40 which descends 3/4 to the bottom
The overflow in PVC 80 just on top, which will also evacuate the floating grease towards the sewer. with a T with inspection cap upwards.
Suction through a 3/4 tube at the bottom with a washable 100µ nylon cartridge filter at the pump inlet.
And I keep the big cap on top of the tank accessible for from time to time to stir all the bottom and immerse an empty pump cellar loaded water which will spit in the inspection hatch of the 80mm overflow.

I imagined and wrote at the same time so I don't know if it's understandable. But basically I took over and adapted the pit system that you showed by adding the possibility of emptying the bottom myself,

It's still quite a installation, but if it saves 30m3 / year and make the potential 46m3 of rain enough to do without the network I like it.

It remains to be seen how reliable this evacuation / supply system is. To be more reliable, the main evacuation should be on a T with 2 valves to choose whether it goes directly to the sewer or if it passes through the recovery tank.

And the two toilets will have a double supply with 3-way valve to choose whether they are supplied by recuperated water or the network which will itself be double-fed 3 way rain / city.

Like that basically if the rain runs out, that one of the pumps breaks down, that the recovery system is messing around, I can return to a house supplied / evacuated 100% by the city network simply by turning 4 valves .
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/19, 12:05

Designing a system that works hydraulically is definitely possible.

But it seems important to me that you manage to contact someone who has already carried out such an installation (obviously there is none present on this forum) in order to make sure that a "rustic" system like this one does not lead to some major inconveniences, I am thinking above all of the risks of odor of water.
0 x
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 09/08/19, 12:50

Actually I think that hydraulically it is quite easily achievable, it is enough to respect the slopes so that the flow is done without worries.

For the smell of water in the toilet I thought about it too, and I'm afraid it's a problem.

Filtering this water with an activated carbon filter which will retain the odor is possible but it may quickly saturate and the goal is obviously not to change the filter every week.

Possibly with a washable nylon filter 100µ before the pump and at the pump outlet a triple filter with a washable nylon 50µ> Washable nylon 20µ> Charcoal 10µ could give a good service life to the carbon filter and a good result in terms of odor and appearance of the water?

Even if I have to clean the washable filters often enough?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/19, 12:58

twentymak wrote:Possibly with a washable nylon filter 100µ before the pump and at the pump outlet a triple filter with a washable nylon 50µ> Washable nylon 20µ> Charcoal 10µ could give a good service life to the carbon filter and a good result in terms of odor and appearance of the water?

At the aspect level, certainly, at the smell level no idea, sorry! Odor is more likely to be due to gases dissolved in the water, which will be released more or less upon arrival in the flush tank. And for gases, the filters do nothing.
0 x
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 10/08/19, 09:21

No one else had fun collecting their wastewater to power their toilets?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/08/19, 14:29

dry toilets it's more eco-friendly : Wink:
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 10/08/19, 15:01

vermicomposting looks good?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/08/19, 20:47

The guy gets into big construction with a compost compartment under the toilets. We can make it simpler.

Thibr, you can open a new topic if you are interested in discussing it. ;)
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 10/08/19, 21:49

I do not see myself without water : Mrgreen:
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "