Self-contained rainwater project

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: Autonomous rainwater project

by twentymak » 07/08/19, 23:16

sicetaitsimple wrote:But in fact, you didn't really say it, what's your motivation? Purely economical (paying less for water), "ecological" (not really easy to demonstrate), sanitary (like the guy in the video you posted that ouh there are really high limit values ​​for the potable water)?

Because depending on the motivation the "best" solution may be different.

So my motivation to switch to 100% rain is not economical, because I vaguely calculated a profitability over at least 15 years, so not particularly interesting.
Ecological I am not sure that between making the concrete tank, delivering it, the energy of the backhoe that will dig the hole, the electricity for the blower, the disposable filters, etc ... it really is greener compared to tap water.

I am more interested in independence from the network, self-sufficiency and also I think that this water will be better than that of the network because much less treated and much less lime

Ahmed wrote:Twentymak, you write:
As for the suction, precisely I do not know what is best between using a little faster my filters or find myself after X years with a huge rotten tank bottom and be forced to drain everything to go clean.

If we start with the idea of ​​a significant accumulation of filth at the bottom of the tank, then this volume which could be retained by the filters (solution 1) represents an even more considerable job of maintenance of the latter. .

Not necessarily, if it's my first washable nylon filter that gets dirty it doesn't bother me too much to clean it from time to time. But actually if I have to change all my filters 3x / year on the other hand it interests me less.

thibr I saw this video, it was she who made me aware of this UV sterilization system. But compared to activated carbon filtration + 0,2µ mirco filtration a bit like Berkey carafes do I really need it? Because to tell the truth to have a lamp lit 24/24 around a pipe which consumes electricity ... If I can do without it, I prefer.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/19, 00:59

The UV lamp is only lit when there is flow ... unless you want to sterilize the tank but that is not too interesting!

20 W UV represent less than 180 kWh over a year ... or about 27 euros per year ...
0 x
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 08/08/19, 12:46

Once connected and plugged in, the sterilizer operates continuously under network pressure (<8 bars) for flow, but also depending on the power supply.

https://traitement-eau.ooreka.fr/compre ... sation-eau
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 08/08/19, 13:00

I read somewhere (but where?) That in fact a power on / off cycle would correspond to the equivalent of an hour of lamp life.
In which case in current use ("usual" occupation of a house) it is certainly better to opt for continuous operation.
Without any guarantees, I'm just repeating something I read on I don't know which site, it may be completely wrong.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/08/19, 13:32

Ahmed wrote:Twentymak, you write:
As for the suction, precisely I do not know what is best between using a little faster my filters or find myself after X years with a huge rotten tank bottom and be forced to drain everything to go clean.

If we start with the idea of ​​a significant accumulation of filth at the bottom of the tank, then this volume which could be retained by the filters (solution 1) represents an even more considerable job of maintenance of the latter. .

Yes, and all the more so since if your suction is done at the bottom of the tank, only a small surface of the tank will be "cleaned" of deposits: just the one in front of the suction pipe. All the rest of the bottom of the tank will still be covered with the deposit, unless you have a suction pipe that moves at the bottom of the tank like a swimming pool robot.

In addition, it will not only be the filters that will clog but all the pipes, fittings, valves and other accessories (e.g. seals), which it is almost impossible to clean as simple removable filters.

Finally, as Sicetaitsimple pointed out, taking water from the surface (floating water intake) allows you to have a first filtration by decantation : water filtration is the most sensitive part of the project, so you have to take everything into account.

That said, this point brings up the important question of planning an easy cleaning of the tank (and the rest): when we do an installation, we often forget to anticipate the day of future cleaning or possible repair: I often attended titanic earthworks just to repair a small leak under a concrete slab, in an inaccessible tank or to change a fitting or a simple joint!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/08/19, 13:47

thibr wrote:the analyzes can be surprising : Mrgreen:

Definitely, this Barnabas he is on all fronts of ecology and transition... In addition his videos are simple, didactic and full of tips, common sense and humor.

He should be the Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition!
(or as Minister of DIY ...)
0 x
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 08/08/19, 15:28

Interesting all these last answers, so actually a 25w UV sterilizer at 200 € placed at the outlet of the triple filter would be good.

And for the suction in the tank so I think to stay on a suction with float. The incoming water will first pass through a house filter based on charcoal sand gravel to limit clogging of the tank.

And if necessary there is a 60x60cm hole on the top of the tank to visit it.

And for the solution to send the water from the shower and washing machine to a tub to reuse it for the WC what do you think? And should I filter it? Before entering the tank and / or leaving? Because I don't really know what it can give as a result a toilet filled with old shower water and detergent ... Even if our shower gel and detergent are eco.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/08/19, 17:11

twentymak wrote:...
And for the solution to send the water from the shower and washing machine to a tub to reuse it for the WC what do you think? And should I filter it? Before entering the tank and / or leaving? Because I don't really know what it can give as a result a toilet filled with old shower water and detergent ... Even if our shower gel and detergent are eco.

It already depends on what you use as products for the shower (soap, shampoo, bath gel, ...) and for the washing machine, but it seems to me impossible to return it as it is to another network for another use: you need a minimum of filtration, not to mention odors ...

Generally, this wastewater is very thick, grayish and clogs everything, and the water coming out of the washing machine also contains a lot of fibers: the whole thing makes a very good "cob" of clogging!

Often, before an "all-water" pit (the one that collects all the wastewater from a house), a grease trap is placed which collects some of the grease on the surface and lets the less loaded water pass underneath to reach the pit, then spreading.
When you clean a grease trap, you remove on the surface a kind of thick gray mud like soft and sticky modeling clay.
bacàg fat.jpg
bacàgatty.jpg (7.35 KB) Viewed 4355 times
bacàgatty2.jpg
bacàgatty2.jpg (8.67 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

In short, it must be filtered but with a special filter.
0 x
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 08/08/19, 21:09

OK so basically I need a septic tank. It gets too complicated there.

And watching Barnabé's video I see that he does not use a UV sterilizer and that his analyzes are good, so I think I do without it too.

The two activated carbon filters + the 0,2µ ceramic filter is supposed to give the same thing as the Berkey carafe.
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 08/08/19, 21:25

one of the rainwater problems is the possible pollution of the roof by excrement, a dead animal ... :(
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "