Question on a future water recovery facility

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Question on a future e-recovery facility

by Chatham » 10/03/08, 12:37

Steeve.Gi wrote:The situation :
I just bought a house in Alsace, in the Vosges mountains. In my garden on a hill, a trickle of water flows which is collected in a concrete tank with a capacity of about 300 liters.
Alas I do not know if this water is the catchment of a source or the drainage of the mountain.

My problems :
1) I would like to filter this water before my tank. The water is generally very clear except in recent days, with the heavy rain it was cloudy white, and I do not know if there is sometimes sand. So I prefer to prevent than cure before my tank is too dirty. So I would like to know how to make a filter at a lower cost. I thought I would use blue aquarium foam filters.

2) Since this "source" delivers about 300 l / h

Well a source is always the result of drainage that infiltrates ...
To filter at a lower cost: sand filter ...
300L / h is a high flow source! a priori it will only use a small part of the flow to store ... a friend has a source that flows between 5L / h (summer) and 100L / h big maximum / hour (analyzed drinking water) and there everything goes in the underground tank of 2m3 without filtration, too full evacuated in a stream, but it is necessary to drain and clean 1x year (water used for the drink) to evacuate the silts ...
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 10/03/08, 12:49

Re,

Chatham wrote:300L / h is a high flow source! a priori it will only use a small part of the flow to store ...

indeed ..
especially since you have to see the conditions of the place, because you have to take the legal aspect too, since if the source continues its way on the surface with other neighbors downstream, we can not capture all the debit !!

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 10/03/08, 13:45

little sparrow wrote:provided you have good pre-filtration , and eg. in the case of 2 or more tanks in series, it is also interesting to let the flow run in the tanks (ensuring an "anti-backwash") to renew and oxygenate the water as well ...
to meditate according to the regularity or not of the pluviometry ...
(but that does not prevent to foresee by-pass ...)

cordially : Wink:

Hello,
what do you mean by anti-swirl and bypass?
a diagram / photo please? -)

For my part, I am also convinced that settling "after a certain time" is as effective as filtration of disturbed water.

as for the oxygenation of water, a simple aquarium bubbler is normally sufficient:

here we do not see filters, because it is the settling that prevails.

as ptitpierrot says, if the water comes suddenly, it will disrupt everything for sure, and not decant.
good after, from there to stir the bottom it goes up to strainer, I don't know.
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 10/03/08, 21:59

Re,

Hello,
what do you mean by anti-swirl and bypass?
a diagram / photo please? -)

it seems to me that by having a "..realistic" site as you have .., I should not teach you what an "anti-backwash" system (or "still water inlet") is or a by-pass ....
: Shock:

For my part, I am also convinced that settling "after a certain time" is as effective as filtration of disturbed water.

"after a while" .. maybe ...
but when there is good flow of arrival .. this "certain time" is quickly exceeded ...
with "just a" good pre-filter and a "still water inlet" system, I hardly have any deposits in the tank, and no violent eddies either.
this replaces the settling, more effectively depending on the conditions ...
even if I don't deny settling ..
but decantation without a prefilter ... it does not eliminate waste and large particles in the body of water ... !!

also, when we talk about letting it overflow regularly "to evacuate the supernatants" .., well at home I do not have a side overflow, but entry / exit by the ceiling of the tank ..
but that does not bother me in any way, since thanks to my sufficiently fine prefilter, I have neither deposit at the bottom nor supernatants on the surface ... (completely transparent water and nickel ..)
this thanks to "just a" good prefilter ... !!

as for the oxygenation of water, a simple aquarium bubbler is normally sufficient:

I know .. I have one ..
but a natural flow +/- regular will consume less electricity, and without possible breakdown.

as ptitpierrot says, if the water comes suddenly, it will disrupt everything for sure, and not decant.

I did not speak "suddenly en masse" ...
a "regular flow" is not violent, especially by an entry of 100 in a "calm water inlet" ...

0 x
well hello to you !! ...
Steeve.Gi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Steeve.Gi » 10/03/08, 22:09

Christine wrote:
Steeve.Gi wrote:Frankly, I do not want to be a guinea pig, buy it ;-)

Oula, relax.

Nobody says you have to be a guinea pig and thank you for not attacking those who are kind enough to respond to your concerns - even if their answers do not suit you.

Come on, we breathe deeply a breath of fresh air and you relax.

Hello,

Sorry if you think I have an aggressive writing, it was not my intension, and I thank a thousand times everything that answers my questions, even if I am only told something that I do not want; - ).
Anyway the subject is closed, I just bought a suppressor.
Again thank you all for your answers, my project is starting to get clear in my head.
Filtration:
I decided to take a waterproof canoe can and integrate aquarium filtration foam (blue foam), directly from my source, towards my tank. Between my tank and MY SURPRESSOR ;-), I install a 10 micron filter.

Regarding the filling of the tank, the question remains open, but I have an idea.
All simple, source, filter, tank. When the tank is full, the pipe fills up to the sealed filter, and the water will naturally stop flowing to resume its normal path, that is to say the rainwater network. What poses another problem to me, when I go to draw water, I will make the vacuum in my tank and risks the implosion. Which forces me to make a vent in my garage higher than my source (limit because of the ceiling height) or to find a non-return valve that lets air pass to the tank and prevents water to get out.
I always have the possibility of making an overflow system on my tank.
I await your reactions?

Steeve
0 x
ak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ak » 10/03/08, 22:52

Steeve.Gi wrote:What poses another problem to me, when I go to draw water, I will make the vacuum in my tank and risks the implosion. Which forces me to make a vent in my garage higher than my source (limit because of the ceiling height) or to find a non-return valve that lets air pass to the tank and prevents water to get out.

But anyway, you have to leave an opening to expel the air when you fill the tank, too.

I would think of a system based on communicating vessels, at first glance, even if it means having an outside air intake with a rising pipe. But it's a vague idea, to think about (including allowing air to escape when you fill your tank).
0 x
Alain & Dan
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 10/03/08, 23:19

Re,

steeve.Gi wrote:My project :
From this concrete tank, install a pipe to my cellar (3 meters below) to store this water in a tank of about 1000 liters,

question:
do you have the possibility of continuing the overflow of your tank in the cellar (given its elevation compared to the concrete tank) towards the downstream flow from this source .. ?? , or is it too high for that .. ??

but I have an idea.
All simple, source, filter, tank. When the tank is full, the pipe fills up to the sealed filter, and the water will naturally stop flowing to resume its normal path,

yes indeed ..., bypassing the prefilter container would be good if not the possibility of an overflow return to the source ..., but on condition that you are sure and certain of the tightness of the entire pipe from the container to level from the source to your tank ..., since it will always remain in charge ...

the ideal would have been to bypass the prefilter canister placed just at the entrance of the tank ..., but if too low to return to the source ... : Cry: , but are you connected to a real sewage + rainwater separation network ... ??
if yes: it does .. +/- because they are not rain ... and you would have an almost permanent flow .. !! (Warning ..)
if not .. prohibited! ...

0 x
well hello to you !! ...
Steeve.Gi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Steeve.Gi » 10/03/08, 23:28

ak wrote:
Steeve.Gi wrote:What poses another problem to me, when I go to draw water, I will make the vacuum in my tank and risks the implosion. Which forces me to make a vent in my garage higher than my source (limit because of the ceiling height) or to find a non-return valve that lets air pass to the tank and prevents water to get out.

But anyway, you have to leave an opening to expel the air when you fill the tank, too.

I would think of a system based on communicating vessels, at first glance, even if it means having an outside air intake with a rising pipe. But it's a vague idea, to think about (including allowing air to escape when you fill your tank).

Yes indeed, I had not thought of filling the tank, oops!
I will have to make an air intake at the level of my tank but higher than my source, therefore outside of my cellar with a strong risk of water freezing in this pipe. Ah ah ah, that again complicates my story.
0 x
Steeve.Gi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Steeve.Gi » 10/03/08, 23:40

little sparrow wrote:Re,

steeve.Gi wrote:My project :
From this concrete tank, install a pipe to my cellar (3 meters below) to store this water in a tank of about 1000 liters,

question:
do you have the possibility of continuing the overflow of your tank in the cellar (given its elevation compared to the concrete tank) towards the downstream flow from this source .. ?? , or is it too high for that .. ??

but I have an idea.
All simple, source, filter, tank. When the tank is full, the pipe fills up to the sealed filter, and the water will naturally stop flowing to resume its normal path,

yes indeed ..., bypassing the prefilter container would be good if not the possibility of an overflow return to the source ..., but on condition that you are sure and certain of the tightness of the entire pipe from the container to level from the source to your tank ..., since it will always remain in charge ...

the ideal would have been to bypass the prefilter canister placed just at the entrance of the tank ..., but if too low to return to the source ... : Cry: , but are you connected to a real sewage + rainwater separation network ... ??
if yes: it does .. +/- because they are not rain ... and you would have an almost permanent flow .. !! (Warning ..)
if not .. prohibited! ...

Indeed it is possible, I have to drill a hole in the wall of my cellar to reach its original path which is 5 meters away. But it has to be frost-free ??? At least 90 cm underground!

Frankly I do not know where this water goes, it flows in a look at my land with a single arrival (source) and a departure that goes I do not know where ????
But 200 meters down the street, there is a look where you can see the water flowing, even when it is not raining!
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 10/03/08, 23:55

Re,

good ... if it is possible for you to by-pass at the level of the tank and the filter canister ... that would be good ...
but no need to bury it 90cm underground! ..
at the limit, install an inlet pipe (from the source to the tank) not too big (diam 50 or 63) immersed and fixed in the concrete tank, to have a continuous flow but not too strong ... and in winter, if tank full, and overflow continuous flow ..... it would take a lot to freeze at -30cm ...

so, if your overflow can join this "escape look" .. cool !!

on the other hand, by pulling this water inlet pipe towards the tank ... take the opportunity to pull at the same time and // another pipe (HDPE diam 25 for example), from the tank to a little higher than your concrete tank, which can be used to ventilate the tank ... : Lol:
(also buried in // on the other, and you just have to "protect" its above-ground end ..)

0 x
well hello to you !! ...