Make rainwater drinkable

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/15, 11:22

Yes there have even been experiments in certain hospitals which consisted in putting all the handles of the copper doors ...

The results on nosocomial diseases were positive it seems to me ... but the practice is nevertheless far from being generalized ...

A search on the web should make it possible to find information on it ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/03/15, 16:19

it is also said to avoid foam on the tiles: put copper wire on the roof ... and it does not form any more foam on the whole roof

but beware if it prevents foam it is proof that copper is toxic: not recommended for drinking water
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/15, 19:34

anti bacterial does not necessarily mean toxic ... all depends on doses in fact ...

If copper was toxic: what about copper cookware used for centuries? Many water pipes are also ...

I think copper is much less harmful than aluminum ... and of course lead ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/03/15, 20:08

Here is the old topic where we talked about copper disinfection: https://www.econologie.com/forums/desinfecti ... t6504.html
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 24/03/15, 20:13

chemistry is complicated

copper is not soluble in water ... it is the copper oxide that makes the effect

the copper wire on the roof oxidizes every day in the air and the copper oxide is dissolved by the water

at home I use rainwater as drinking water and it goes through some copper pipes ... it's been 20 years that it lasts and I am not sick, but it is not a proof ... and I don't just drink water

the problem of pollution of all kinds is that it is difficult to quantify them: what will put in the water some bouit of copper wires on a roof?

same problem for aluminum, which is also hardly soluble in clean water, but more worrying when aluminum sulphate is used as a flocculant to purify drinking water: the goal is however good: if we add chlorine to the water full of organic matter the result is bad, chloramine and bad taste ... if we separate the organic matter by a good flocculation with alumina sulfate, it makes water purer and it takes much less chlorine to meet standards

no chlorine in my house: it has been a long time since I found that the water in my roofs is pure enough to settle on its own in plastic tanks: when there is no light, there is no no life: the impurities fall to the bottom of the tank ... some bacteria or algae develop on the walls then die of hunger when they have exhausted the little organic matter that there is

it's not just copper and aluminum ... at my house the roofs are made of galvanized sheet metal, so the water is in contact with zinc: is it serious doctor?

and there is a lot of sheet metal whose zinc is worn out so it rusts and the water has dissolved the iron ... and ten sous is not expensive ... ferruginous water is not dangerous
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 11/05/15, 15:34

For a few years now, I have been collecting rainwater from my natural slate roofs in a buried 5000 liter polypropylene tank. I filter it with a coarse sieve at the inlet (and what I get is not overwhelming) and then discharge the pump which injects it into my house circuit with 3 cartridges at 25/5 and 1µ ... Nobody 'was ill despite the fact that water was used to cook and wash the dishes (plus tea, coffee, noodles ...) ... I arrived year after year collecting between 35 and 45m3..I'll it will take a few decades to amortize the tank and the pump financially ... But where I save time and money it is on the descaling of shower cubicles ... At each return to service a 50ene liters must be poured that the water does not smell of stagnation and that's it. When my filter cartridges become too green (in general the 25 and the 5µ the 1µ stays very clean) I immerse them in a bucket containing 10 liters of water with 3 bleach tablets I blow my mouth in the filter cartridges upside down and they leave for around thirty m3 I never changed them in 110 3mXNUMX approximately ... By cons the filtration system of this ready-made tank is very heavy maintenance for an old roof the filters must be cleaned very often if not your collection by overflow ... Not enough filtration surface. ..
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/05/15, 22:22

Hi,
macro wrote:Each time you put it back into service, pour 50 liters of water so that the water does not smell of stagnation.
This is the problem with plastic tanks. Concrete walls are ideal.

Do you know the pluvalor system?

Copper, lead and aluminum roofs and gutters should be avoided. These metals (except aluminum) are soluble in an acidic environment (the rain that falls on the roof is always acidic) and are toxic.
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 12/05/15, 03:03

I am not convinced that concrete is a good solution.
Concrete being made with cement, it is good to ask the question about the composition of the cement and how it is produced.
Sincerely I will avoid.
Contrary to the installation of limestone, this neutralizes the acidity of rainwater and therefore protects the piping from corrosion. Avoiding at the same time to absorb copper unnecessarily.
This is why I covered the rainwater tanks with a water repellent coating which protects the water from the concrete. After 20 years this coating has not moved, however the limestone has lost a significant part of its mass. You should also remember to clean the vase every 2 or 3 years. A pump placed in a bucket flows from the concrete during construction facilitates the work.

Regarding stagnant water, neutralizing the acidity of rainwater will do nothing. To solve this problem, all you have to do is inject air into the tank using an air pump powerful enough to drop below 1 m below the water level.
A few minutes every hour is more than enough. I am convinced that treating water in this way can only sanitize it, without making it fit for consumption without boiling it.
Bird droppings, pollen and all kinds of critters that decompose in the water are not really the best. Even if the injection of air makes the odor disappear.
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Make rainwater drinkable

by hic » 12/05/15, 11:38

Hi Cerga
the cheapest that saves the filter!

eliminate the 1st mm of rainwater that reaches the roof
he is the one who filtered the atmosphere, the pollution and the dust, the ozone,
and cleaned the roof.
and reserve it for another use (between 70 or 100l)

after that we filter distilled water
Cergal wrote:Hello,

Within the framework of a school project, I have to determine what are the actions to be carried out to make rainwater into drinking water.
Rainwater will be collected from the roof, will be stored in a water collector and will be filtered when it comes out of potable water.
For his I intend to use 3 filters which are:
- A 5 micron filter to pre-filter the water.
- An activated carbon filter to neutralize chemicals and heavy metals.
- A ceramic filter to filter bacteria.

I would like to know if these three filters are enough to make rainwater into potable water?

Thank you in advance for your answers.
0 x
antoinet111
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by antoinet111 » 13/05/15, 07:39

@ the student: please note this link, everything is there:
izentrop wrote:Hi,
macro wrote:Each time you put it back into service, pour 50 liters of water so that the water does not smell of stagnation.
This is the problem with plastic tanks. Concrete walls are ideal.

Do you know the pluvalor system?

Copper, lead and aluminum roofs and gutters should be avoided. These metals (except aluminum) are soluble in an acidic environment (the rain that falls on the roof is always acidic) and are toxic.

and that also in addition: http://habitaeco.free.fr/spip.php?article105

There is no need to disinfect the rainwater or sterilize it, it's bullshit to put bleach or whatever, however you need mineral to neutralize the pH of the water. once washed concrete is not dangerous tiling at the bottom.

http://potronjeanlouis.unblog.fr/page/6/

Hello.
0 x
I vote for the writing of concrete post and practicality.
Down the talkers and ceiling fans!

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "