Large volume rainwater storage

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Large volume rainwater storage

by Forhorse » 09/08/20, 08:28

phil12 wrote:So not ecological ??? : roll: : roll: : roll: : roll: : roll:

Still not no.
To draw from the water table is to use water which is no longer useful for the natural environment, or in any case which is no longer available to maintain its level.

Your thinking is on the same level as those of farmers who irrigate at all costs to guarantee their harvest without worrying about the consequences.

Using a natural resource for personal needs without worrying about its exhaustion or the consequences of its use is not ecology, it is capitalism. You may be all alone in your corner doing this and it has no consequences. But if in an area everyone started doing the same thing, there would quickly be a problem (there are enough examples around the world of the phenomenon of groundwater depletion, with the drying up of natural sources, because some allow themselves to multiply boreholes for their water "needs")

But hey, after having invested such a sum you will certainly not admit to being wrong, so I am writing in a vacuum. however that does not change the problem.
0 x
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 09/08/20, 11:22

To draw from the water table is to use water which is no longer useful for the natural environment, or in any case which is no longer available to maintain its level.
Well if here it is easily renewed since there is no pressure on demand!

Your thinking is on the same level as those of farmers who irrigate at all costs to guarantee their harvest without worrying about the consequences.
So all farmers and market gardeners have to deal with rain recovery, we won't eat often! Already according to you, we must therefore remove all the cereals on the planet

Use a natural resource for personal needs without worrying about its exhaustion (I am really a big degeula I do the same with oxygen and nitrogen dioxide)or the consequences of its use it is not ecology, it is capitalism.
The insults do not grow up to you, where do you see capitalism I use a resource that only passes through and that I do not modify in any way, once again working the water cycle!

You may be all alone in your corner doing this and it has no consequences. But if in an area everyone started doing the same thing, there would quickly be a problem (there are enough examples around the world of the phenomenon of groundwater depletion, with the drying up of natural sources, because some allow themselves to multiply boreholes for their water "needs")

What if like you everyone wrote fallacies on the net with sophisticated instruments made with rare earths scraped in mines by modern little slaves, had a car, children who generate CO2, a house instead of a case, highways to go on vacation .... in short, you are in anything to be right.
But hey, after having invested such a sum you will certainly not admit to being wrong,
You said it is a investment in food, biodiversity, carbon sinks, a better future for children, etc.

so I write in a vacuum.
So why are you writing? obscurantism, jealousy, lack of knowledge of the subject?

however that does not change the problem.
Yes as Mr Albert said <avoid people who find problems with every solution>
So thread finished for me, good end of heat wave!

PS / I'm surprised you chose your avatar well, what lucidity : Cheesy: , it is certain that if we can try to bring the donkey to the watering place, it is not certain that he drinks!
1 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 09/08/20, 13:05

I tend to agree with Phil, and I will add that these are complementary steps: recover some of the rainwater to be used directly, and allow the excess to infiltrate more easily into the groundwater or create buffer zones (sumps, wet and planted areas, ponds, diversion bays, hedges and ditches along contour lines, etc.) which will prevent water from leaving directly to the river or the sea during heavy rains with all the associated disadvantages. What has not been thought for too long in town and country planning, alas.
2 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 09/08/20, 14:09

The little end of the telescope is certainly blocked ...

Even explained the merits, well, we can nitpick, I admit, but the general idea is there ...

As much as it benefits the earth a little before ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 09/08/20, 15:19

I admit that I do not even understand the debate ... We are absolutely not talking about the same thing in terms of orders of magnitude.

I have nothing against collecting rainwater for watering, quite the contrary. But in our climates, even with a consequent (and therefore expensive) storage, one should not hope to cover the needs of a vegetable garden with an area much greater than the collecting roof area in an average year.
100m2 of roofing (which is already a lot), 100m2 of vegetable garden, maybe 150? If we really want to water and produce, not just prevent the plants from dying.

Ps: of course, the figures may vary depending on the ground, the location, .....
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 09/08/20, 15:59

Ah, this is an all is good or all bad debate.

Ok, so, we have to go all the way.

If you live in the city, starve. Are we not going to waste water for you?

Of course we are too many, and the pb, above all, comes from there.

If there were 1 million in France, these questions would not arise.

Not that a solution is not optimal, so let's take a solution that is not good at all ... winning 50% is useless, it's 100% to be won or nothing ...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/08/20, 17:12

If you have a forest of 100 trees, it takes 50 years for a planted tree to be exploitable and for your needs you cut 1 tree per year (and you replant one as a replacement of course), no problem, the resource is renewable.
Now if you cut 50 trees a year, even if you replant them immediately, don't you think you're going to have a problem quickly?

If you can't see the analogy with groundwater, the donkey is not what you think it is.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 09/08/20, 18:03

Personally no, I do not understand the debate in this case. Collecting as much rainwater as possible does not prevent rainwater to infiltrate more easily if it is a local or regional problem, in order to help the groundwater to recharge.
If I take my (particular) example, not using the shallow underground reserve (10m) when there is a need for water for the garden is a waste, this water being fully recharged after the first heavy autumn rains. This increases the productivity and fertility of the soil moreover by returning to the earth dissolved mineral elements from the rock or even leached out (unlikely since the water crosses the meadow and there are many trees upstream)
1 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 09/08/20, 20:37

1 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 10/08/20, 17:02

Forhorse wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2qF9kTRfE

https://www.brgm.fr/projet/mediterranee ... ent-global

This does not contradict what has been said previously, on the contrary. The most important thing to avoid (with the waste) is that the water does not run off directly to the river or to the sea. And there, there is a lot of progress to be made, both in urbanized and agricultural areas (drainages galore, unstructured and non-filtering soils, uprooting of hedges, filling in wet areas etc ...)
1 x