Large volume rainwater storage

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Large volume rainwater storage

by Ahmed » 07/08/20, 22:36

It would not be logical enough to discharge rainwater directly into a well, but it is quite possible and even desirable to make appropriate arrangements * allowing the infiltration of this water into the ground, water which will ultimately reach the well. stripped of their impurities ...

* Sumps or simple infiltration trenches.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 07/08/20, 22:57

Good evening,

Personally, I had thought of flexible systems, finally I opted for a borehole because I have a large vegetable garden and a lot of young trees to support with these hot weather, being in the south I also want to anticipate this climatic future which now is asserting itself on the rise, at home we are two months without a drop:
- water at 45m
- reserve at 60m
- 10000 euros (drilling, pump, installation)
- flow at will
- 24 hour operation if necessary
- unpolluted water unlike surface water or neighboring wells (I have not yet done an analysis)
- no flow problem in summer
- PV in auto consumption smoothes the consumption of the pump, I do not hesitate to water in the afternoon to put consumption and production in phase.
- in the event of a water restriction, the use of boreholes is prohibited last
- soon second step the connection to part of the house
- the water arriving very cold, I will think about a form of geo-cooling in a while if necessary

A well would have been random at home, rocks, fairly fine veins and random flows in summer.
Last edited by phil12 the 07 / 08 / 20, 23: 00, 2 edited once.
1 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/08/20, 22:58

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Paul72 wrote:Nobody knows if we can put rainwater in a well? In my opinion I would say no but I would like to be clear about it.

No, it's forbidden, I said it (with source) on this forum, but where? In addition, if it is really a well in connection with a water table, it would not really make sense, the water collected would go into the water table.

Exactly I searched but found nothing clear. There are pockets of water so to speak, they are only connected when they are to the brim, in a way. So pretty independent actually lol. Now yes, in my case it is probably better to store a few m3 above ground and the overflow on trees, for example (in winter the water goes almost directly to the nature reserve, which is shallow)
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/08/20, 23:07

Ahmed wrote:It would not be logical enough to discharge rainwater directly into a well, but it is quite possible and even desirable to make appropriate arrangements * allowing the infiltration of this water into the ground, water which will ultimately reach the well. stripped of their impurities ...

* Sumps or simple infiltration trenches.

In fact of development, it would be especially a question of being able to divert the water of the large roofing towards the middle of the wooded part of fruit trees which is anyway naturally draining, in summer so that the water penetrates deeper than the only rain generally insufficient. After filling a tank. This way, no water "wasted" when it is needed most.
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 07/08/20, 23:57

phil12 wrote:Good evening,

Personally, I had thought of flexible systems finally I opted for a drilling

So a borehole (or a well) is for me anything but ecological and it is very far from the philosophy of saving water.
for a big need it is certainly profitable financially, but clearly not ecologically since it draws precisely on a resource which one seeks precisely to preserve!
The idea of ​​storing rainwater is precisely to store water that would be lost both for us and for the groundwater (because very often channeled directly to the nearest river) and which falls when there is no need (and which in addition very often causes flooding precisely because it is channeled too quickly towards rivers) to use it when it is needed the most, that it is rare, and that it is the tablecloths must be spared.

On this account I could very well use the neighbour's well since it allows me to dispose of it as I want (it even pays for the electricity for the pump ...) that's what I did at the beginning, but I can't bring myself to it.
In addition we live at the top of the hillock, pumping in this well, particularly in times of drought, would quickly lower the water table to such an extent that it would worsen the state of drought and therefore increase the need for watering, at the risk to end up having to water the whole orchard whereas until now it has been going on, and therefore would further increase the need for water, which would lower the water table all the more ... in short, you understand ...

At the risk of rambling on, the idea is really to store water when there is too much of it, to use it when it is lacking without having to tap into the natural environment.
We've been living in the area for 8 years, and it's at least the 6th big summer drought we've seen ... while the locals tell us that it was always green before, even in summer.
So I am convinced that the storage of rainwater will become a necessity ... and not just for individuals. The ecologists will have to update themselves on the hill reservoirs and stop systematically opposing all projects just on principle, the survival of a large part of French agriculture will soon depend on it.
2 x
phil12
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by phil12 » 08/08/20, 10:14

Bonjour,

Not ecological a borehole ?? the Pavlovian reflexes of obscurantist ecologists should be stopped!

A / the tablecloths are always full in my area (the winter and spring rains still present)

B / at home if I don't use this water, no one will use it, it is 45m away, there is no farmer or market gardeners in the area, nor anyone below, the only producers further away pump in the river for their corn : roll:
Otherwise here the wells are really on small surface veins which run quickly towards the river against the bottom (steep drop) unrelated to my water table

C / there I pump and I put the water in a circuit as ecological as they are do you know something called the water cycle ?? : Lol:

D / I have a strictly organic vegetable garden with permanent cover set in 1 ha on the outskirts in a watershed context in the countryside so 0 pollution

E / I can therefore reasonably give water instead of putting the whole system in catalepsy for 2, 3 months and how much more in the future ?? this water which will promote:

- life (microorganism, mushrooms ...), biomass (grass for my vegetable garden, Brf for my hedges ...), biodiversity : Wink: (insects, mammals, birds and need water to live and food and they do not spit on their share of fruits, berries from my hedges and vegetables that I also grow for them)

- this water goes through the hundreds of trees that I have planted and watered at critical times, to make evapotranspiration and through the underground pumping that they themselves implement when they are adults, not to mention soil protection by their shade and start to transform my former plot of sterile agricultural land into an oasis with its microclimate, it is now really noticeable where the trees have made their place :D

- this biomass is a carbon sink, instead of a temporary amonitrated grassland, arrid in summer which will be used only
to make hay (the main production in the region by far) for Roquefort which will be exported to the four corners of the planet! which is very ecological to listen to you!

F / I did not consider storing rainwater at first because it would be peanuts for my needs with for example 2 months without a drop of rain as at the moment with 38 (peaches dry on the trees and fall), I will have a roof storage everything will be in bad condition in the vegetable garden (which is not just a hobby but a source of food for my family and some friends) and the hundreds of trees (orchards, hedges ...) would lose years of growth : Cry:
However, this system will soon also be put into operation.
Note that my soil which is now aggradated in places stoke better and better water from the sky.

G / for electricity consumption I have Pvs in relation to the consumption of the pump (0,75 Kw) and I am 1 km from a huge hydropower production network (my department exports 2 thirds of its electricity which is "green" to France : Lol: ), on my overall balance sheet I am frugal and my job saves significant tons of energy and pollution type C02 to the community

F / thereafter I will switch the house over to the borehole (it has only been on the road for a year)

G / etc ... etc ...

H / water saving ok where there is none, but where there is just as much to use it, and according to organic vegetable garden watering in an area free of pollution we only amend the cycle some water 8)

So not ecological ??? : roll: : roll: : roll: : roll: : roll:

PS / My only regret is not having had the money to do this 10 years ago :(
Last edited by phil12 the 08 / 08 / 20, 10: 36, 2 edited once.
2 x
Sustainable energy consulting for construction
http://www.philippeservices.net/
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/20, 10:30

sicetaitsimple wrote:No, it's forbidden, I said it (with source) on this forum, but where? In addition, if it is really a well in connection with a water table, it would not really make sense, the water collected would go into the water table.

Bin that then! Lawmakers are even more stupid than I thought !!

But what justifies (technically) that we do not have the right to reject rainwater in a well? Since as I just said, they go there by natural runoff in all cases!

I do not know of a well that is not connected to a water table or a large volume underground reserve ... Otherwise it is called a soaker well which is only used to evacuate wastewater ...

In this case, yes I would understand the prohibition so as not to overflow the soaker pit in the event of heavy rainfall.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 08/08/20, 10:35

Christophe wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:No, it's forbidden, I said it (with source) on this forum, but where? In addition, if it is really a well in connection with a water table, it would not really make sense, the water collected would go into the water table.

..... But what justifies (technically) that we do not have the right to reject rainwater in a well? .....

Quite simply, the risks of groundwater pollution.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/08/20, 10:38

With rainwater ???? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

Ok it would be less filtered than if it fed the groundwater in a natural way but the risk of pollution from just-in-time rainwater (= without storage) is extremely low ... no ????

Obviously, there is always the risk of asshole behavior (engine oil, hydrocarbons ...) but these behaviors can be done in any case!
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/08/20, 11:14

Forhorse wrote:We've been living in the area for 8 years, and it's at least the 6th big summer drought we've seen ... while the locals tell us that it was always green before, even in summer.
But we don't have to aim for the 50 m³ directly. For a small garden, 2 or 3 tanks of 1000 l are sufficient, there are occasions of them inexpensively.
I had started with an outdoor tank that had to be emptied during the severe frosts of February, but which was not full enough for the spring droughts.
Since then I collect the rains from 2 large roofs that I send to a large cellar under my barn and I have a submerged pump and a hose which brings me water to the garden in a small reserve.

I tinkered with the recovery connection a bit with a piece of mosquito net to filter the recovered water. leaves and moss residues are evacuated by heavy rains in the central hole.
IMG_20200807_201710.jpg
IMG_20200807_201710.jpg (162.85 KB) Viewed times 3694
IMG_20200807_201726.jpg
IMG_20200807_201726.jpg (111.41 KB) Viewed times 3694
. Its output in 50 is more than enough for me to fill my tanks. 4000 liters which is more than enough for me.
To do it again I would have done like that
recupeau.jpg
recupeau.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 3694 times

In the cellar, the water inlet is on the ceiling, the maximum level of the tanks. The overflow is evacuated to the street which luckily is at the same level.
IMG_20200807_202044.jpg
IMG_20200807_202044.jpg (73.66 KB) Viewed times 3694

IMG_20200807_202320.jpg
IMG_20200807_202320.jpg (83.08 KB) Viewed times 3694
2 x