Large volume rainwater storage

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Large volume rainwater storage

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/08/20, 01:15

phil59 wrote:In fact, reading you, I say to myself, that 50 m3 at one time, would not be a good idea.

It would be better to have several tanks.

With lags of one month for example of filling, because if pollution, it is better not to put its eggs in the same baskets.

I say that for a future project ....

It would also have been my idea IF the terrain permits.
Acquire IBCs over time and opportunities: secondhand, BC ... etc
FYI I bought mine almost new at 50 €
This allows you not to put pressure on yourself while regularly increasing its storage capacity over time and therefore smoothing the cost over time.

And (again IF the terrain allows) in general nature covers all of this pretty quickly.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 07/08/20, 08:29

The IBC solution is not bad, especially because it is "flexible" and therefore allows storage to be increased gradually. At 50 € the IBC is not a bad price.
We must of course add the price of the "plumbing" to interconnect them and the earthworks to have a platform large enough and level to accommodate the 50 but it is playable and as the investment is progressive it goes more easily.

It is a solution that I could put in place, without going up to 50, I have a room in the house that would already fit a good number of them, and then redo a floor on top to not lose any square...
Even if the project is abandoned for the moment, if I ever find a supply of IBC at low cost I am not saying that it could not restart it.

The idea of ​​the pond with PVC cover of basin must also be feasible with a reasonable investment, by covering it one must be able to limit the problems of pollution and evaporation. It remains to find how to cover durably (and discreetly) without it costing an arm.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/08/20, 14:22

Macro wrote:
Christophe wrote:
I'm a little surprised at your decision.

Do not take the following personally and badly, it is a reasoning that I have already had many times on this forum.

Why always think in terms of profitability when talking about an ecological project?

Very complicated calculation .... If you have to pollute like an oil tanker to earn money, which will allow you to invest to live ecologically, while making you happy ....

Me a while ago .... Where I passed the purse strings over to my wife ...

Indeed, we must also think about the ecological profitability of mobilizing a lot of resources to build a rainwater reserve in a context where water is available from the tap all year round. It must also weigh in the balance of sizing and the solution (s) chosen. Why not a borehole to make a well? Are we allowed to dump rainwater near a well or is it prohibited?
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 07/08/20, 14:57

When we visited Jeff in his estate we discovered his pool, he announced 1500 € of EPDM cover.

We must add the work of the shovel and possibly the felt (I do not know if it is included in the 1500 €)

It's from 6.45 and you even have his phone in the summary

The concern is that the shovel will not go unnoticed ...

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/08/20, 18:55

Paul72 wrote:
Macro wrote:
Christophe wrote:
I'm a little surprised at your decision.

Do not take the following personally and badly, it is a reasoning that I have already had many times on this forum.

Why always think in terms of profitability when talking about an ecological project?

Very complicated calculation .... If you have to pollute like an oil tanker to earn money, which will allow you to invest to live ecologically, while making you happy ....

Indeed, we must also think about the ecological profitability of mobilizing a lot of resources to build a rainwater reserve in a context where water is available from the tap all year round. It must also weigh in the balance of sizing and the solution (s) chosen. Why not a borehole to make a well? Are we allowed to dump rainwater near a well or is it prohibited?

It is clear that some jobs pollute more than others ... Jancovici had written about it in the early 2000s ...

So we pollute by making money that's for sure. But we also pollute, more or less, by spending it ...

And in terms of spending, in any case, investing in sustainability is more beneficial for the environment than spending its money on pride, consumerism, comfort, luxury ...

I would like to see the comparative figures between the swimming pools installed each year in France and the rainwater reserves ... like in m3 of capacity! If the water reserves are at 0.1% I think it would be good!

There is not much to add!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/08/20, 18:59

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:The concern is that the shovel will not go unnoticed ...

Mini excavators can be rented everywhere around 200 € per day I believe ... transport included ... (well you have to see where the nearest agency is ...)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/08/20, 19:22

Christophe wrote:And in terms of spending, in any case, investing in sustainability is more beneficial for the environment than spending its money on pride, consumerism, comfort, luxury ...
..... There is not much to add!

Well yes, there is to add!
I don't want to speak for Forhorse, but maybe he has a lot better way to make this money, depending on his situation, than building a 50m3 sprinkler water storage?
Insulate your house a little more, install some PV panels, whatever else?
"Profitability" is not a taboo word, it also makes it possible to classify different projects according to their interest even at the individual level.
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 07/08/20, 19:29

Christophe wrote:
Paul72 wrote:
Macro wrote:

It is clear that some jobs pollute more than others ... Jancovici had written about it in the early 2000s ...

So we pollute by making money that's for sure. But we also pollute, more or less, by spending it ...

And in terms of spending, in any case, investing in sustainability is more beneficial for the environment than spending its money on pride, consumerism, comfort, luxury ...

I would like to see the comparative figures between the swimming pools installed each year in France and the rainwater reserves ... like in m3 of capacity! If the water reserves are at 0.1% I think it would be good!

There is not much to add!

Yes, we can add that hard pools can always be recycled into tanks one day. : Mrgreen:
And the question arises all the same, to know if a concrete tank, certainly durable, will have a real utility in the present case to have a capacity of 50 m3 rather than 20,10,5? This is not a simple question to answer, especially if the context of an agricultural zone further complicates the matter.

Nobody knows if we can put rainwater in a well? In my opinion I would say no but I would like to be clear about it.
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/08/20, 19:32

Paul72 wrote:Nobody knows if we can put rainwater in a well? In my opinion I would say no but I would like to be clear about it.

Uh ... what interest? They go naturally, don't they?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/08/20, 21:46

Paul72 wrote:Nobody knows if we can put rainwater in a well? In my opinion I would say no but I would like to be clear about it.

No, it's forbidden, I said it (with source) on this forum, but where? In addition, if it is really a well in connection with a water table, it would not really make sense, the water collected would go into the water table.
0 x