Irrigate a greenhouse with a septic tank?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 28/08/12, 17:16

Christophe wrote:
Did67 wrote:For example, in an anaerobic digestion plant, all "biological" waste (kitchen scraps, slaughterhouse waste) must be pasteurized before entering the digester, in order to be able to spread the digestate at the outlet on commercial crops.

I had also heard that the digestate had to be "disinfected" after leaving the digester for use in spreading ...

Pasteurization is done at high temperature 60-70 °>

breathing then gradually raises the temperature to 60 ° C - 70 ° C, leading to the replacement of mesophilic microorganisms by thermophiles and thermo-tolerants.

by their breathing, micro-organisms deplete the oxygen of the mass in composting and make the environment anaerobic. Anaerobic germs then develop, leading to a lowering of the temperature because their metabolism is less thermogenic. They are also responsible for the release of foul-smelling volatile compounds (methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, etc.).

To avoid this putrefaction, it is necessary to restore the aerobic conditions of the medium (see aeration below). Thus it will be possible to prolong the fermentation at high temperature. Pathogens, parasites and weed seeds will be destroyed by the high temperature, unpleasant odors will be avoided, decomposition will be faster. As soon as the temperature no longer increases after aeration, it can be considered that the degradation is complete.

Source: wiki

Using wastewater directly does not destroy pathogens and can be transmitted to plants and then to humans.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Did67

by Did67 » 28/08/12, 17:43

Christophe wrote:
I had also heard that the digestate had to be "disinfected" after leaving the digester for use in spreading ...

In our case, the digester "consumes" either plant residues (mowing of grass, waste from agro-food factories, etc.), or manure (which can be put directly on the chmaps), or products which will be hygienized before introduction (waste from canteens, certain unclassified slaughterhouse waste, etc.). We can spread the digestate directly (while respecting a whole set of rules: doses, periods ... included in a "spreading plan" validated by the authorities). But without "pasteurization" or "treatment" of the digestate ...

I can imagine that this is the case with sludge from wastewater treatment plants, which, for their part, has not had "prior treatment".

This comes back to what I said above: there has to be a "break" in the cycle ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/08/12, 17:48

Alain G wrote:
Pasteurization is done at high temperature 60-70 °>

My apologies, the term "pasteurization" that I used was inappropriate: it is a question of hygienization (from memory: 1 or 2 hours at more than 60 or 65 °; it is an automated process, I do not remember the numbers).

Pathogens (which proliferate in the human body at 37 °) do not resist this treatment: ditto cooking a chopped steak, etc ... or anti-legionellosis treatment of a DHW preparer (by raising it to 65 °). It is enough to pass the course of 60 ° or 65 ° at heart ...

It is different from a pasteurization which aims to destroy all microorganisms, pathogenic or not, and especially those which risk to prevent a good conservation (and there, it is 95 °, even more) ...

PS: the wiki extract is specific to composting; methanation is a strictly anaerobic mesophilic process; the digester does not reach the temperatures required for hygination. Hence the heat treatment before or after.

There, we do it before, because it is an energy expenditure and it is silly to treat the mass which does not require it.

In WWTPs (wastewater treatment plants), it is the reverse. It would be "silly" to sanitize before; we extract the sludge and sanitize it ...

The compost heaps (well the real ones, not the heap of peelings which rots at the bottom of the garden) indeed, go through an aerobic process at high temperature (above 60 °). You have to "stir" the endain 2 or 3 times, both to aerate and maintain aerobics, but also to remix the waste (otherwise, the edges of the pile, which would remain cold, are not hygienized!) .

A pile of compost, in autumn, it's a cloud! It "smokes" so much it heats up (like manure). There, yes, there is destruction of germs of diseases (whether they are those likely to attack your plants or those likely to attack humans), seeds of weeds ...

These conditions are hardly ever fulfilled in "household" compost. It would be more correct to speak of "rotten"!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 28/08/12, 18:42

Hi Did!

You relate very well the problem linked to using wastewater to feed vegetable plants even if here we are talking about compost versus pit liquid.

Done industrially with all the controls of the finished product versus personally without all these controls I cannot but recommend this use of gray and black water.

As mentioned sen-o-sen the sand filter does not barrier bacteria and pathogens.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/08/12, 19:28

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, and since sen-no-sen also mentions it, the wisest in my opinion remains at a minimum to use phytoepruration.
At the end of the cycle, it is also possible to sterilize with UV-C, but it is then irrigation water which is very expensive : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 30/08/12, 15:40

Alain G wrote:Hi Did!

You relate very well the problem linked to using wastewater to feed vegetable plants even if here we are talking about compost versus pit liquid.

This was for illustration to confirm that without rupture (sufficiently long passage at + 65 °, whether this is linked to a treatment process - before in the case of biomethane, after in the case of a WWTP) or that this is linked to a "well-conducted" composting, it is "forbidden" to use wastewater and other organic waste ...

So we agree! We "can not" ... And I advise against cheating on the pretext that no one will come and check.

On the other hand, once again, porduire "irrigated" biomass that we compost / then incorporate into the soil, it is a break ... And this stock of organic matter will store rainwater, the plants will be less sensitive drought ... even if that does not solve all the problems ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 30/08/12, 17:15

Just to say that we could be a bit more precise on the term "wastewater".

As dangerous as it is (and strongly discouraged! : Shock: ) use water valves (having been in contact with fecal matter) to water, as all the other waters can be used without any treatment for watering ...
So it concerns the waters gray (sink, sink, showers, washing machine, ...) and water yellows (urine separated at source).
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Did67

by Did67 » 30/08/12, 19:31

We started from the "septic tank" (1st post). So black water, first.. It is also probably rather an "all waters" pit ??

But you are absolutely right to take stock.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 03/09/12, 22:52

Yes, Did, the pit bears the name "all waters" when it receives ... all waters! (gray and others)
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "