Repair of a hand garden watering pump with seal problem

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
kaldwin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Repair of a hand garden watering pump with seal problem

by kaldwin » 31/05/21, 12:19

Hello,

I have a problem with my grandfather's garden pump plunger. He needs to prime the pump several times a day and it is difficult for the water to come out. The seal is dead and the whole thing is rusting. How to fix this and what pump is it? It's a pretty old pump, it's my grandfather's garden. I'm not sure if anyone could help me learn more about this pump as well as its mechanism.

IMG_20210530_165452413.jpg

IMG_20210530_170912505.jpg

IMG_20210530_170946669.jpg

IMG_20210530_171018700.jpg

IMG_20210530_171022458.jpg
1 x
Christophe

Re: Identification of a garden pump and seal problem

by Christophe » 31/05/21, 13:01

Hi and welcome here!

I don't think you need to know exactly which pump it is to prepare it!

You need a good brushing and scrubbing ... and you find a compatible joint (measure the groove well, there are charts that should be found) ... and it's off again ... as in 40 ( if I dare say) ...

Ideally it should be repainted but don't think it's worth it because:

a) it has been rusted for decades, it will hold up for a few more decades! It looks very thick like we do more today!

b) if it is for food use there will inevitably be a little pollutants in the paint (at the beginning at least)
0 x
Christophe

Re: Identification of a garden hand pump and seal problem

by Christophe » 31/05/21, 13:07

0 x
kaldwin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kaldwin » 31/05/21, 13:34

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, I will study the subject you put and I see that the person also had a piston that looks like mine. I'm going to watch it all this afternoon with my grandfather.

The pump is used to water the plants in the garden. It is non-potable water, but it must be primed several times a day unfortunately, hence the urge to try to repair the joint problem. It is true that these pumps are tough in addition to being classy.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/05/21, 13:48

You're welcome, we're here for that!

Well, given the state of the seal it's already good that you manage to pump something! : Cheesy:
It was really good sturdy design at the time as I guess this is the original gasket!

When you put on the new seal, remember to put a little fluff paste all over the throat (used for hemp or flax plumbing) it will improve the break-in and the installation!

Downside: the author of the video wrong because it is not the paste that makes the seal but the tow! The paste is not mandatory but it helps make connections more easily with less risk of leakage (rare but it can happen when you are just starting out)!

Try to make a cordless connection just with the paste! Especially on a non-conical pressure connection: little chance that it does not leak! : Cheesy:

I see that it also takes a lot of error: file a thread to promote grip? I never saw that ! And burning the tow has no interest ...

Finally, he puts a lot of tow and a lot of dough ... I think ... it will work but it's a bit of a mess.

Another method here:

Sorry for the almost irrelevant ...

An example compatible with sanitary water:

0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 31/05/21, 15:56

To make a towed seal on brass threaded sleeves, it is indeed a practice which consists in marking the threads with, for example, the teeth of a multigrip pliers ... My elders had taught me to do this ... ... More thunder a doll of bast it costs quedalle and a tube of gebatou ... Not much ... and it does not perime, it can be disassembled and can be reused in case of shortage by squeezing a bit more strong ....
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/05/21, 17:10

I've done a few of these these days (including 2 outdoor taps installed this morning) and it works well if you follow the rules. Joint paste more the tow, it is the whole which ensures the tightness (mine, of mark "Kolmat", date of 40 years!). Mark the copper threads as said Macro and making sure to wind the strands of yarn in the direction of the screwing, these are the keys to success!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/05/21, 19:58

Macro wrote:To make a towed seal on brass threaded sleeves, it is indeed a practice which consists in marking the threads with, for example, the teeth of a multigrip pliers ...

Ok, but what interest?

I believe I have mounted some nets which were "marked" with mini teeth ... A report?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/05/21, 20:01

Ahmed wrote:it is the whole which ensures the tightness (mine, of mark "Kolmat", date of 40 years!)

Yarn alone works too ... just needs a little more experience ....
I also use Kolmat that's great!

By cons teflon alone it's been a long time since I use more ... too much trouble !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 31/05/21, 20:12

Christophe wrote:
Macro wrote:To make a towed seal on brass threaded sleeves, it is indeed a practice which consists in marking the threads with, for example, the teeth of a multigrip pliers ...

Ok, but what interest?

I believe I have mounted some nets which were "marked" with mini teeth ... A report?

The interest is to prevent the yarn from turning with the nut and being completely packed in the same place instead of being distributed over the entire thread ... with a leak : Mrgreen:
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132