Repair of a hand garden watering pump with seal problem

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Christophe

Re: Identification of a garden hand pump and seal problem

by Christophe » 01/06/21, 00:30

Achhh so! : Cheesy:
0 x
kaldwin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kaldwin » 03/06/21, 09:05

Hello,

Thank you for all your answers, with my grandfather we are trying to clean the piston before putting on the seal. We know on the other hand, that the diameter is 80mm (inside the pump). A friend goes to the microphone biller so that we can put the seal.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/21, 12:53

Ok yes it is a good solution!

Did you find a new gasket? If so where? (for other readers)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 03/06/21, 14:04

On this kind of material ... microbeading of the piston is a great luxury .... Or it is necessary to be more precise it is rather on the body of the pump because it is there that the seal will rub. .If it presents craters of corrosion ... Your new gasket will make a sunny lunch .... Personally if I got down to the sustainable repair of such a pump .... I would make a liner. stainless steel of this one nothing very advanced ... But at least history to be freed from the worries of corrosion of the cast iron ...
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/06/21, 14:42

It's not stupid yes Macro! A thin 1 mm stainless steel sheet rolled in the pump body ...
But you have to see the fixing possibilities and the budget: stainless steel sheets are not cheap!

And is the game really worth the candle? Originally, in cast iron, a pump like this lasts 40 years (at least) ...

Then if there is too much sealing, it may be that grandpa will have too much trouble pumping !!! : Cheesy:
0 x
kaldwin
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by kaldwin » 05/06/21, 13:53

It is a former gardener, who gave us a leather cap to be screwed at the level of the piston head (excuse me, I do not know the exact name). Where it is circled in red on the photo, it's all seizing up, impossible to unscrew.
1.jpg

And what is in green is the part that will be redone by our friend, he will saw at the welds and completely redo the part as well as the internal thread. And at the same time he will look, if he can do it in stainless steel.
2.jpg

Next, as regards the inside of the pump, we are in the process of cleaning the inside. We are surprised by the good condition of it.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/06/21, 14:26

Bin ???? Why don't you put the seal on from the top? Seen the photos it will pass!

I'm too young: I don't know anything about leather seals ... I know it was used, that's all ... but with water and friction? I give my tongue to the cat !!

You have a picture of the skullcap, I'm not sure I understand everything ... but for me, you make your life a lot more complicated because a synthetic slip-on seal will do the trick in 5 minutes.

You just have to find the seal to the dimensions of the groove and compatible with coming and going: a lip or O-ring seal! Purists would put a metal segment! : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/06/21, 14:35

Here are 2 types of joints that could be suitable I think (find the right dimensions) they are elastic enough to be threaded from the top!

https://www.joint-torique.com/produit/nbr70-t8d120/

https://www.123roulement.com/rubrique/joint-hydraulique

o-ring.jpg
joint-torique.jpg (46.62 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

hydraulic_joint.jpg
joint_hydraulique.jpg (42.51 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

I am a regular customer at https://www.123roulement.com/ these are good ones!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 05/06/21, 15:12

More durable and "naturally lubricated" would be a PTFE O-ring. It remains to find the dimension.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 05/06/21, 17:10

Christophe, you say:
I'm too young: I don't know anything about leather seals ... I know it was used, that's all ... but with water and friction? I give my tongue to the cat !!

The leather seal is made from a leather disc (and not a round of leather!) Which is formed on a mold under pressure; well greased *, it is hydro compatible and durable.
As for the O-ring, if there is a diameter of a sufficient section, it sticks to form a custom ring ...

* maybe today with silicone grease?
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."