Connected Objects, IoT, IoT

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Connected Objects, IoT, IoT

by Uncle Buzz » 05/07/20, 13:18

phil59 wrote:sonoff 433.JPG

With a box like the one you pilot and with the phone, and in 433 ... works in wifi ....

Do you make the same approximation when you talk about WIFI? here we have a 433MHz module, radio transmission which has no connection with WIFI which is a transmission at 2.4GHz (or 5GHz) and which also includes the communication protocol? Unless it is doubled with a WIFI gateway for direct piloting without a gateway, but that would make duplicates with the 433MHz, and knowing the aptitude of the Chinese to mention anything to sell, I look for the 433MHz only. ..

The WIFI exists ready made, but it is a computer network, it is intended to transmit a lot of information and consumes a lot of energy, I am surprised to see that it is used to drive lamps or simple relays, the only interest is to interrogate / control the lamp directly from the network (smartphone, PC ...) without going through a gateway.

For stand-alone modules (on battery or solar), 433MHz radio modules are far more economical (as long as there is no relay coil to supply), the disadvantage being that there is no true single standard like WIFI is and that you have to "build" your network yourself.

We agree that when you say WIFI, it is really WIFI a / b / c / g / n at 2.4 or 5GHz?

EDIT: when reviewing the photo, this module is well doubled in 433MHz (for the button remote control) and in WIFI b / g / n for direct access. Operating on sector here the consumption problem does not arise, for an isolated module however it would not be the right technical choice.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 05/07/20, 13:21

No no Sonoff at 433MHz AND wifi
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/07/20, 13:25

Yes wifi, controlled by via the box, stupid and nasty.

From 433, too, via the zapette.

Why an extra zapette for me? There it is for outdoor lighting. It's more convenient when you get home, the zapette than taking the phone out.

After going through the wifi gateway, you can either from anywhere in the world where you have internet, order this "relay", or program start and end times ....

And it's not like the somfy walkways where you have to adapt the 433 ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/07/20, 13:26

Forhorse wrote:No no Sonoff at 433MHz AND wifi

Yes when you take the right model, about € 5 just for wifi, and € 10, let's say when it does both ....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 05/07/20, 13:30

They also have a WIFI gateway to 433MHz to control the 433MHz modules (probably cheaper) from a single WIFI gateway: Sonoff RF Bridge 433.

For several modules, I imagine that a single WIFI configuration is easier to manage ...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 05/07/20, 13:33

The gateway "emulates" the 433, but the 433, you do not pilot a sonoff wifi ...
0 x

Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 05/07/20, 13:36

I prefer the Shelly which do only wifi ... Personally I do not see the interest of the 433Mhz (except in the specific case that you mention the more practical remote control than the smartphone)
99.9% of boxes and routers already offer home wifi coverage that we often use for smartphones / tablets / laptops so no need to add a second wireless network, and if the coverage is too weak, add a " range extender "which will also be beneficial for the use of the smartphone.

Then I know that many home automation protocols are based on 433Mhz and that many devices are available for this frequency, so it must be of interest: cost? consumption? (the shelly is given for a consumption <1W, not sure that a 433Mhz module does significantly better) For my use the wifi is sufficient since it saves the purchase of a gateway.
0 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 05/07/20, 13:43

Forhorse wrote:the shelly is given for a consumption <1W, not sure that a 433Mhz module does significantly better

Yes, 433MHz is light years away ... We are talking about µW!

Afterwards, your radio communication is only a piece of your module, if it is to go up the information of a sensor, the consumption will be ridiculous, to the point that a piezo switch generates enough energy to send your message in 433MHz, so without battery or anything other than the mechanical energy necessary to press your mechanical switch!

For a weather station, 433MHz allows very low energy consumption for a long-range transmission without repeater, on the other hand if you have to actively control an output, which can consume energy in front of which the consumption of the radio link is negligible, saving 1W when you consume 10W and you are connected to the sector is no longer a decisive argument!

Anyway if you want to control your module from a smartphone, you need a gateway at some point. Each case is specific, there is no ideal solution in all cases.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 05/07/20, 13:47

Uncle Buzz wrote:
Yes, 433MHz is light years away ... We are talking about µW!

For the complete module? Let me doubt it.
The 230VAC-3.3 / 5VDC conversion alone must eat 90% of the energy consumed by the widget.
0 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 05/07/20, 14:09

As I said, it all depends on what you have behind, if you drive a device that consumes 220V, the radio part is negligible, and the conversion of 220V AC to 3.3V or 5V DC can easily consume much more than the radio part itself if you do a very basic conversion, which is probably the case in modules connected to the sector where the manufacturer will seek to reduce its production costs rather than saving a few hundred mW.

The WIFI radio link requires a lot of energy, the 433MHz radio link practically nothing, as I said to the point that a 433MHz switch does not even require a battery to operate!

433MHz sensors can operate for several years on 2 AAA batteries, or on a simple capacitor and a solar cell of less than 1W.

It all depends on the need and therefore on what comes with the radio module, if you want to control a 220V bulb, a 2kW lift pump, saving energy is no longer an argument.
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "