Clean your rainwater collection tank ???

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
salsitawapa
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Clean your rainwater collection tank ???

by salsitawapa » 03/02/09, 16:55

Hello, I have been using my rainwater recovery tank for 2 years. I use it mainly for the washing machine and the WC, but also in summer for watering the garden.
I have 1 washable 80µ filter, a 30 µ food-grade wire filter and an activated carbon filter.
The water being cloudy lately, I decided to empty it completely to clean it. Done, I realized that there was a lot of mud at the bottom of it.
I took the opportunity to change my last look enhancement which was broken and I put between each enhancement polyhurethane foam.
Is there a product to put in the tank to clean this water (knowing that it is used to wash clothes)? This will save me from having to empty it every time ...
It is a 3000 L underground concrete tank (septic tank).
How many times a year do you change the water? Thank you for your answers
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 03/02/09, 17:11

Welcome Salsitawapa (excuse me if I flayed your username).
I am afraid that preventing decanted water from being impossible: this is one of the things that we do in treatment plants. I read a note on a forum where the tank described was a set of 2 tanks, the first of which was a decanter, preceded by several filters (your filters are before or after)
I think that first of all the first tank must be calculated so that the water settles there 3 or 4 days before entering the second tank. (the water should be taken a few centimeters below the surface and away from the bottom, of course.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
vincent1606
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by vincent1606 » 03/02/09, 18:58

Personally, I do it every year during the summer.

1- I empty it with an electric pump.

2- cleaning (shovel + bucket)

3- a bleach on the floor and on the walls

4 - rinsing

8)
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 03/02/09, 20:31

On my side there is an empty cellar pump in the bottom of
the tank. When it is full, that I think about it and that it
it is raining i operate this pump until the water comes out clean.
Every 2 or 3 years, it depends on the time I need
to find the courage, I empty the tank and remove the sludge.
A little hose hoses, the cellar vacuum and it's good.
No need for products, you just need to aerate the water once a day
for a few minutes and the water remains clear and odorless.

I use water for WC, washing machine and dishwasher. Others
uses are planned but I have to find the time and the
means to materialize.
[/ Quote]
0 x
salsitawapa
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by salsitawapa » 03/02/09, 20:35

Thank you for your answers ... At the moment it is raining a lot and the tank is filling up again. The water is completely muddy. I let the rain pass to see if I need to empty it and clean it more thoroughly.
I have just found an oxidant which disinfects and eliminates particles (apparently it is advisable in case of cloudy water). I will test it if the water is cloudy but not too muddy. This is BayroShock, I don't know if you know ...
In any case I will keep you informed of the consequences.

Regarding the retention tank, I have none and had never had problems in 2 years!

Thank you
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 03/02/09, 22:57

Hi salsitawapa,

(there was a long time! ..)

pay attention to some essential "details"! :

> good pre-filtration before storage is always recommended! (and even more efficient than a settling tank), to avoid letting all kinds of dirt enter the tank ...
> do not forget a "still water inlet" system, so as not to stir the body of water and especially the bottom during an influx ....
> a deposit of "sludge" (particles) is not problematic if "light" and if not stirred by the water inlet or pumping ...
> if emptying and cleaning: rinse with clear (rain!) water if possible, rub if necessary, but above all avoid any type of oxidizing or disinfecting products !! (useless and worse than better!)
remove the deposit and rinse / dry with a mop ...

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 04/02/09, 10:02

Hello,
It's still weird this cloudy water ...
Where is your suction pipe?
At the bottom of the tank, or at the bottom?
Personally, I work a bit like Rabbit, and never have a problem like this ...
Small detail, I attached my suction hose to a homemade float; I made sure that the suction is located 15 cm from the surface of the water. (to avoid pumping the bottom)
Then, maybe you should install a system that would prevent rainwater from stirring the bottom of your tank when it rains.
If the rainwater falls in big spray on the bottom of your tank which is dirty. .... the rest is evident in a small 3000 liter tank :D
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
salsitawapa
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by salsitawapa » 04/02/09, 10:58

Ok thank you for these answers. It is true that the water arrived in the tank through a pipe which is at the top and which falls about half the height. My next emptying, I will put a sleeve so that it arrives as close as possible to the bottom of the tank ...
Regarding the pre-filtration, I put a house filter that keeps me the biggest impurities ... Then comes the strainer.
Thank you
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 04/02/09, 11:13

Re,

you have to go down the inlet pipe to the bottom, but without forgetting a "anti-swirl" !!
(plastic accessory, or better and cheaper, a simple 25x25 concrete look in which you lower your pipe with its end cut at a bevel.)

what mesh diameter is your "home" prefilter ??

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
salsitawapa
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by salsitawapa » 04/02/09, 12:32

For the mesh I do not know but the holes are small ... Regarding the look, I have a raised look, it could do the trick? Thank you
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "