Brita filters

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 06/08/08, 11:08

ok for me, messages of no interest to the subject can be deleted I agree, pierre should have contacted me by PM ... to get back to the subject:

a friend of my family working in a water analysis lab in Brittany told me:
carafe filters remove certain particles but bring in others, it is better to consume tap water in a carafe in the fridge in the open air: chlorine is eliminated.
when it is eliminated it has already accomplished its action I think ...
good I did not notice at the time ...

I know that :
the sand filters the larger particles
(crushed) carbon filters chlorine and others
shells (crushed) retain heavy metals

quote:
"
Here is how to make a sand / carbon filter (like commercial filter cartridges):
> Take 2 large receptacles and fill 1 with sand: you must wash it at least 5 or 6 times to be sure of its cleanliness. To wash the sand, put it in a large basin, fill it with water and stir the sand in the water with your hands. Discard the water and start over with new water. Do this operation at least 5 times.
> Here is how to get activated charcoal from the trade: only use good charcoal that has been well burned and does not contain unburned pieces of wood, crush it well.
> Take the other container, drill it at the bottom with holes neither too big nor too small, the sand must not escape there, if necessary lay out a cloth.
> Pour in 5 cm of sand, then 8 cm of charcoal, then cover with sand.
This filter must be cleaned before its first use: the first filtration is carbon black.

Maintenance: The charcoal should be replaced approximately every two weeks. The polluting elements gradually contaminate the coal which, after a certain time can no longer retain them and lets them pass through. If the water you are using is very dirty, you will need to skim it regularly and perhaps change the top layer of sand every 2 days. If your filter becomes clogged (the water no longer flows below), you will need to change the two layers of sand as well as that of carbon.
> Sand is a filter element used to remove particles suspended in water. By doing this, it limits the possibility of viruses proliferation since they - unlike bacteria - are not autonomous organisms. The sand also removes iron, manganese and ammonium.
> clay as a mechanical filter is also very effective. If used raw, it can neutralize certain elements and facilitate flocculation (see definitions, below). Cooked, it retains particles on the surface and allows water to pass through. There are ceramic filters that can be arranged as a filter cartridge.
> Coal is indeed the most powerful natural poison pump (1cm3 represents 1km² of contact surface). It can absorb up to 178 times its volume in ammonia, it neutralizes anesthetic gases (masks in army NBC outfits contain it), chlorine, ozone, permanganate, agricultural chemicals, heavy metals , detergents, venoms, certain viruses and
recently, there have been effects on chemotherapy treatments. On the other hand, it is so adsorbent that it can inhibit oral contraceptives as well as certain drugs. In filters or for internal use, active carbon is used, which is vegetable carbon recalcined at the same temperatures in the presence of water vapor, air or oxidizing gas, which further increases its contact surface. But very good vegetable charcoal (hardwood, holm oak, coconut) is also very effective.
> Diatomites are siliceous rocks of organic origin (insect fossils) very effective as a filter, but must be changed periodically. Seashells recalcify rainwater and bind heavy metals.

Document: Blue Gold:
http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/eau/eau.pdf
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 06/08/08, 11:19

Bonjour,

in view of the realization and maintenance of the "sand / carbon filter" so dear to jonule and presented here ....
I laugh at so much inconsistency and contradiction ......

especially when he said to me himself on the other subject:

jonule wrote:sorry but a manual system is not a solution, we need an automatic system, I see that the solution of the so-called "pro" which has all the analyzes allowing to choose but which gives nothing, is not more valid than another ...

ha ha ha..
I laugh about it but it remains lamentable ...

hey, jonule ... I have something else to fuck than piss off the world here with our bickering ...
then like a good prince ... I clear and leave you the place ...
but at least, out of respect for all the others ... you had better insure ... !!!!

Hello
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 06/08/08, 11:25

Little Pierrot, the goal is not for one to be right and the other wrong.
The goal is to discuss calmly with objective arguments and formulations respectful of each.

You both should be capable of this, right?
Last edited by Targol the 06 / 08 / 08, 12: 17, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 06/08/08, 11:41

Re,

Yes of course ...
(and I think you know it .... and you understand what is going on here ...)

this is why, I just specified on the other subject ..: Ciao I turn the page ..!
I have something else to do ...
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 06/08/08, 13:59

Jonule + little pierrot + a little water = BIG PACK OF MUD :?
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 06/08/08, 14:00

renaud67 wrote:Jonule + little pierrot + a little water = BIG PACK OF MUD :?

Do not throw oil on the fire.
This kind of message does not move the masses forward the debate ...
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 07/08/08, 12:12

little sparrow wrote:I clear and leave you the place ...

well, it's a shame we just have to send people back to your well-supplied site (in all sincerity), if we cannot enlighten +!
I seriously think that there are people to help in the matter, that your association must obviously have good to be part of it, like your site.
me it is not on the substance that I blocked, just on the form, that only concerns me but a forum is a forum ! -)
@ +
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 14/08/08, 16:43

What filtration, for what use?

For watering, washing machine and WC:
Very simple filtration is sufficient. Upstream of the cistern, place a manhole to allow the water to settle, optionally filled with quartz sand to filter out large impurities (typically in a conventional concrete manhole). Downstream of the pump and the bladder tank (booster), a filter cartridge with a washable 60 micron filter for example.

For cold water sanitary use only:
This use is not possible because the separation of the networks prohibits supplying a mixing valve with cold "rain" water and hot "city" water.

For cold water + hot water sanitary use as part of a family:
Rainwater then feeds the whole house, including the water heater. Two filters in series are then necessary:
* a first filter with washable 20 micron cartridge serves as an anti-mud
* a second downstream filter with a 10 micron woven cartridge removes the last physical impurities from the water (plant residues and dust from the roof).
Following this filtration the water will be distributed to washing machine, WC, water heater and to all water points: sinks, washbasins, shower, bath, WC.

For cold water + hot water sanitary use in a community:
If you use rainwater for collective use (stopover, etc.), from a "legal" point of view, it will be preferable to add a device downstream of the 20 and 10 micron filters. UV treatment to destroy all living organisms in the water.
This device is not necessary for family use because the bacteria in rainwater are not pathogenic.

Filtration to make rainwater drinkable:
In addition to the 20 and 10 micron filters and, if necessary, the UV treatment, it is sufficient to install a pure water filter made of ceramic and activated carbon (Doulton filter for example).
The "Doulton" filter removes 97% of particles larger than 0,1 microns and 100% of particles larger than 0,9 microns.
Any bacteria that might have grown during storage are thus filtered out. The activated carbon will eventually eliminate turbidity (cloudy water) as well as any taste or odor from the water due to storage.

Note: In rainwater, filtration by osmosis (reverse) is expensive and totally unnecessary because rainwater is very weakly mineralized.
As the osmosis membrane is extremely thin, it must be constantly rinsed to avoid clogging. For a liter of water consumed, 4 to 5 liters must be rejected.

Researcher Joseph Orszagh, who previously advised osmosis filtration (you can see this information on non-updated websites) now advises Doulton-type ceramic and activated carbon filters. Doulton: 2 systems exist, per cartridge and per gravity.

http://www.nrjrealiste.fr/eau/r%E9cup%2 ... ation.html
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 15/08/08, 12:44

Bonjour,

Wow ..... congratulations jonule!
what a beautiful parade you found there concerning the (my) photo of my prefilter .. !! (on your site)
I recognize that it is well seen ......

and I'm happy for you (sincerely) that you finally reacted ... it was less than one ...., because it might hurt you .... !!
(my steps were started, but not materialized before today as promised ..)
so let's move on .... (but I'm not forgetting anything, and I'm watching you ...)

For this drawing .. beautiful copied / pasted, as usual ....

just like this article reproduced here ... I think I recognize where it comes from, in part anyway ....
(hey yes ... I also search everywhere ...!)

Mais ...

jonule wrote:a first filter with washable 20 micron cartridge serves as an anti-mud

if you know any filters washable at 20µ ... I'll take it !!

jonule wrote:For cold water + hot water sanitary use in a community :
If you use rainwater for collective use (stopover gite, ...)

if you know collective and / or public buildings which have a sanitary use (showers) for rainwater ... here too I am a taker ..!

jonule wrote:Note: In rainwater, filtration by osmosis (reverse) is expensive and totally unnecessary because rainwater is very weakly mineralized.

sorry but I don't see the connection at all ... !!
a reverse osmosis unit is not designed to remove minerals from water !!
do not confuse either "reverse osmosis" and "softener" .. !!

jonule wrote:Researcher Joseph Orszagh who previously advised osmosis filtration (you can see this information on non-updated websites) now advises ceramic and activated carbon filters

quite personal interpretation of the author of this remark ....
I had already pointed out to him in his time, moreover ...

cordially
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 17/08/08, 08:01

An Indian water carrier had two jars ...

“Experience is not what happens to us. That's what we do with what happens to us ”(Aldous Huxley)

A little story to illustrate this thought:

An Indian water carrier had two large jars, hanging from both ends of a piece of wood that hugged the shape of his shoulders.

One of the jars had a sparkle, and while the other jar perfectly retained all of its spring water all the way to the master's house, the first jar was losing almost half of its precious cargo along the way.

This lasted two years, during which, each day, the water carrier delivered only a jar and a half of water on each of his trips.

Of course, the Perfect Jar was proud of her, as she managed to perform her flawless function from start to finish on every journey.

But the damaged jar was ashamed of its imperfection and felt depressed, because it only managed to accomplish half of what it was supposed to be capable of.

After two years of what she saw as a permanent failure, the damaged jar addressed itself to the water carrier, as he was filling it at the source.

"I feel guilty, and I beg your pardon." said the damaged jar. :?

"Why ?" asked the water carrier. "What are you ashamed of?"

"Because of that shine that makes the water leak, I only managed to carry half of my water cargo to our master during those two years. My fault you put in all these efforts, and, in the end, you only deliver half the water to our master and you do not get full recognition for your efforts "

The water carrier was touched by this confession, and, full of compassion, he replied: "While we return to the master's house, I want you to look at the magnificent flowers that are by the side of the path" . :D

As they traveled, the damaged jar saw wonderful flowers bathed in sunlight on the edges of the path, and this put balm on his wound. But at the end of the run, she still felt bad because she had still lost half of her water.

The water carrier said to the jar "Did you realize that there were only beautiful flowers on YOUR side, and hardly any on the side of the perfect jar? It's because I have always knew you were losing water, and I took advantage of it.

I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day you watered them all along the path.

For two years, thanks to you, I was able to pick beautiful flowers which decorated the master's table. Without you, I would never have been able to find flowers so fresh and so graceful. " :D

Moral of the story: We all have chips, wounds, flaws. We are all broken jars.

Some of us are diminished by old age, others do not shine with their intelligence, others are too tall, too fat, too poor, others are physically diminished, but these are the splinters, the defects in us who make our lives interesting and exhilarating.

It is better to take others as they are and see what is good and good in them.

Let's learn to appreciate other people's imperfections - and, more importantly, learn to appreciate our own.
: Cheesy:
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "