Quantity of water lost by water heater during heating

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
logredudon
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Quantity of water lost by water heater during heating

by logredudon » 19/08/10, 13:24

Hello,

I have noticed for some time an increase in the volume of water lost (by the safety valve) from my water heater: I am at 10 l (in 10 days).
Especially since at the moment I have programmed only 2 heating periods: from 6h to 8h and 17h to 22h

Note that there is no leakage outside the heating period.

Is this quantity normal?

Otherwise what should I do?
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 19/08/10, 13:43

The quantity lost is a priori normal, but it depends on the volume of the water heater and the heating temperature ...
If the volume of the water heater is sufficient (as well as its insulation), a single heating period per 24 hours is sufficient, this is the case with me with a 200L water heater which is only heated at night at a reduced off-peak rate (between 21 p.m. and 6 a.m.) ...
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 19/08/10, 14:19

oiseautempete wrote:The quantity lost is a priori normal, but it depends on the volume of the water heater and the heating temperature ...

it does NOT depend on the volume of the water heater but on the volume of hot water consumed ... and indeed on the temperature at which the water is heated.
with the big ladle, for water which reaches 15 ° and which is heated to 60 °, the volume increases by 1%.
we can therefore consider in the first approach that we lose 1L per 1L consumed.
0 x
Click my signature
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 19/08/10, 14:28

In my house, it is not connected to the drain. There are 3 of us, I get a bucket of water every 4 or 5 days (which I collect for flushing), the boiler being right next to the toilet in the bathroom. It is only used for the bathroom.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/08/10, 15:55

with the standard safety block, this water operator is mandatory

whatever the programming of the heating it is simply proportional to the quantity of water consumed

of course this water is not necessarily lost if we fill a bucket!

it is not lost either if we do not put the compulsory safety group and if we let the excess hot water come out upside down by the arrival of cold water

at home where I only have rainwater I do what I want! the security group is not compulsory for me

it is also possible to put a small bladder accumulator whose elasticity prevents the safety group valve from opening: it would be good to invent something to send a little air into the water heater itself: it just a little elasticity to avoid this loss of water

beware of too high water pressure it is better to put a regulator at 2 bar, and not only for the water heater but for the whole house: it avoids the wear of all the taps, especially flush
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/10, 15:57

To avoid this "mess" you can fit a special DHW expansion vessel ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/08/10, 16:10

exactly! I have only seen this install once! a small bladder accumulator as for a heating circuit but special drinking water ...

but before I deal with water leaks I have to find what I eat the accent and the apostrophes

for a long time certain times each apostrophe activated a search function of firefox, only on econology ... but for some days it is worse ... the apostrophe are simply ignored
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/10, 16:36

Question: why is there not a pre-inflated bladder to compensate for the expansion in all DHW tanks?
0 x
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 19/08/10, 17:34

dirk pitt wrote:
it does NOT depend on the volume of the water heater but on the volume of hot water consumed ...

You forget the inevitable heat losses related to volume ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/08/10, 17:38

I don't really see the connection with the losses ...

Dirk Pitt is right and I would even say more: it depends on the volume of hot water heated; or rather cold water that became hot 8)

But if you do not have a valve at the water meter, there is no need for a safety group, or a vessel, it is the network "which absorbs" ...
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "