Connection on heating circuit with reduction in diameter

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
JeanMarq
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Connection on heating circuit with reduction in diameter

by JeanMarq » 26/09/22, 18:32

Hello,
A heating engineer is currently installing a new boiler in my home.
Since the new boiler is installed in a different location from the old one, it must be connected to the previous heating circuit (made of steel).
The heating engineer wants to connect to the old circuit via a steel pipe of a smaller diameter to be ultimately connected to the large steel diameter.

A small diagram to summarize:

Boiler - Multilayer pipe 20 - Steel pipe 15 - Steel pipe 30 (see more) - Heating circuit

( in both ways )

I understand the explanation of the heating engineer who tells me that it is not possible to connect directly to the largest steel pipe because it goes down to the lower floors.

Initially, it was planned to connect to the largest diameter, which seemed the most logical and sensible to me, today I'm running out of arguments and the "I don't see what will be the problem" from my heating engineer is not enough for me. not in explanation.

I don't know much about the field but I would have liked to have an opinion to reassure me and explain to me if it is not too complicated how going through a reduction in diameter does not pose a problem in the circuit of heating.

IN thanking you.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Connection on heating circuit with reduction in diameter

by phil59 » 26/09/22, 18:48

I do not know more than that, but it also depends on the power of the boiler, because when it heats up, the heat must be evacuated as quickly as possible.

My old boiler was 28-30, it seems to me as an output, for a 52 kWh.

The current one is 20, and I connected directly, via "reducer-enlarger" from my installation, and it works well, not optimal, maybe, I don't know, but it works.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/09/22, 18:51

The only problem with the reductions in diameter are the pressure drops: for the same circulator consumption you will have less flow...but that does not mean that it is not possible (it is obviously better to reduce the losses dump)…

I advise you, if not already done, to switch to a much less energy-consuming and not much more expensive electronic circulator…this will largely compensate for the loss of charge…
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/09/22, 18:53

0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 26/09/22, 19:31

I don't get the same results as you, replacing one that runs well, and it's 5 years, 24/24 7/7, so 10 years considering intermittent. If HS, there, indeed, the situation is no longer the same...

With low electricity prices .... at 30-40 cents per kWh, that will change everything.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock: