No place for climate in education

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
joseph herm
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

No place for climate in education

by joseph herm » 09/09/22, 11:29

Hello Econology community,

Today, traditional business schools do not talk about climate change, nor about the physical limits of the world in which the economy should fit.
However, we know that too much CO2 continues to be emitted, that Europe is already lacking in energy in a structural way(1).
We believe it is time to integrate these limits into the way classical management is taught and help companies and public organizations to review their business models to make them more resource efficient and less threatening for the climate.

Unfortunately, the climate and the resource constraints are not mentioned in 89% of the courses (non-optional courses) and even when they are, these subjects are often drowned out at the end of the course (66% at the end of the master's) ( 2)
6 leading business schools in Europe also observe in an article published by harvard BR that "business schools are too late in noting climate change, as well as in responding to this urgent and existential" (3)

So we came up with the idea of ​​creating KLIMA School, the new business school that encapsulates the business teachings of a business school within the physical limits of the modern world. It should make it possible to train the managers of tomorrow to decarbonize the economy and to be more sober, to do better by integrating the climate and the scarcity of resources into their decision-making software. (4)

https://www.klimaschool.com/

What do you think of this observation and of our project?

ps: we are constantly looking for speakers, teachers, speakers, partners to take our students on internship or work-study. Do not hesitate to contact us.

sources:
1) https://theshiftproject.org/wp-content/ ... NTHESE.pdf
(2) https://theshiftproject.org/mobiliser-l ... le-climat/
(3) https://hbr.org/2022/02/business-school ... ate-crisis
(4) https://www.klimaschool.com/

graduation-g6f5e823d3_1280.jpg
graduation-g6f5e823d3_1280.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
2 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: No place for climate in education

by humus » 09/09/22, 12:12

Nice intention.
Just one question, isn't the problem capitalism, essentially growing, in a finite world?
Consequently should we not teach an economy where growth is not the alpha and the omega, should we not teach the sustainable vs the profitable?
Teaching anything by remaining within the framework of capitalism is of little use as long as the framework does not change?
The problem is the frame, right?

PS I haven't looked at the links yet I'm going to eat, sorry if I type next : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/22, 12:15

Exactly, and when you go to higher education, it's to earn more during your life...with all that that implies behind...

Oh what a paradox...
1 x
joseph herm
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by joseph herm » 09/09/22, 12:58

Hello Humus and Christophe,

Thank you for your feedback.
World Bank data show that the USSR's carbon emissions only increased between the end of the war and its collapse in the 90s. (source: https://perspective.usherbrooke.ca/bila ... TM.CO2E.KT)
To answer the question, the distribution model of the wealth produced does not therefore seem to be in question, but rather the extractivist and carbon-emitting nature of humanity's activities. Humanity that should face the approaching planetary physical limits.

Regarding sustainable vs. profitable, as in any structural change there should be winners and losers, in a generally recessionary context.
We can therefore easily imagine the manufacturers and equipment manufacturers of bicycles or trains/trams getting the icing on their hands after having been outwitted for a century by car manufacturers. The future will tell.

What we are convinced of is that faced with the magnitude of the changes to come, it is necessary to have qualified, competent personnel trained in the issues to act.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/22, 14:13

Hello Joseph

joseph herm wrote:World Bank data show that the USSR's carbon emissions only increased between the end of the war and its collapse in the 90s. (source: https://perspective.usherbrooke.ca/bila ... TM.CO2E.KT)

Yes, that's for sure, communism was not synonymous with decline!!

But compared to the USA? What about? Per capita and per GDP?
0 x
joseph herm
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by joseph herm » 09/09/22, 15:37

Dear Christophe,

Thanks for your questions,
I recommend the site https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions
which summarizes very well with precise infographics retracing emissions by geographical area and by inhabitants throughout history.
You will read there that indeed, for the USA the emissions are higher than the global cumulated, per year and per inhabitant also.
As for emissions per unit of GDP and per country, I am not sure. At the global level, however, the carbon intensity of each unit of GDP has not decreased so much, since the carbon intensity of a unit of energy has remained stable and the energy intensity of a unit of GDP has decreased by only 10% in 18 years.

source: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 7CbHbDH1tw
1 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 09/09/22, 16:11

joseph herm wrote:World Bank data show that the USSR's carbon emissions only increased between the end of the war and its collapse in the 90s. (source: https://perspective.usherbrooke.ca/bila ... TM.CO2E.KT)
To answer the question, the distribution model of the wealth produced does not therefore seem to be in question, but rather the extractivist and carbon-emitting nature of humanity's activities. Humanity that should face the approaching planetary physical limits.

Absolutely, the problem is extractivism but why extractivism, if not to produce and grow?
I point to capitalism because it is the global economic system.
It turns out that by construction capitalism calls for extractivism and growth.
Unless you demonstrate to me that capitalism can function without extractivism, without growth and without crisis?

I'm afraid you want to solve a problem without addressing the root causes of the problem, right?

Admitting that capitalism decides to become virtuous by falling back on the sustainable, the recyclable and the renewable, would there not be a contradiction in the face of this need for growth intrinsic to capitalism?.
As a reminder, without growth, there is no money to exchange goods and services.
90% of the world's currency is credit and therefore a prospect for growth.
You don't take out a loan if you don't have a prospect of growth.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/09/22, 19:05

You don't take out a loan if you don't have a prospect of growth.

This scheme applies in the "classic" phase but, henceforth, it is the absence of real prospect of growth in sufficient quantity (compared to the mass of accumulated capital) which obliges to resort to a perfectly imaginary possibility of growth. : a way of taking refuge in an accommodating future which is summoned to solve the problems which have now become structurally insoluble...
We can also see it as a new facet of extractivism which, after having conquered space and the present, is now attacking the future...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 09/09/22, 19:36

I think that we are precisely experiencing this shift. Without growth, the capitalist system is sacrificing people's well-being and freedom to survive.
As we have already seen during the covid crisis, capitalism has been able to maintain itself and the great fortunes have continued to increase their wealth (with the help of large subsidies) despite an economy at half mast, while the people have impoverished.

Since growth is no longer possible, they switch to "sobriety" mode (ecology is only a pretext, they have never given a damn about it) and begin to make their dough either on the mass of goods sold, but speculating on shortages.

It's "the end of abundance" to quote the president.
1 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/09/22, 19:46

Hello Joseph, thank you for your intervention.

schools do talk a bit about climate change and limited resources.

are you a contributor to the Shift Project? Jancovici has reflected on the subject of making society aware of these themes and thinks that action must be taken via all existing institutions (schools, economic, political, scientific circles, etc.)

decarbonizing the economy is a bit of a matter of engineers, but above all a radical change of consumerist mentality towards something calmer.

it won't happen that fast...
0 x