Can a solar panel be repaired where the "glass" is broken.

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Can a solar panel be repaired where the "glass" is broken.

by phil59 » 06/09/22, 16:42

So last night, last night, while browsing LBC, doing a very very very broad search, I came across a badly placed ad.

Old panels, at 25€ each, 185 Wp, or 80€ the lot.

I messaged the guy, and this morning got in touch with him (about 25 km from home).

I went there, and on the road, my guy tells me that he has an HS panel, and after negotiation, I arrive at 50€ for the set of 3.

Good. (Good a priori, after a quick test "in the air", I have a production).

But the HS one, I got it too.

20220906_134216.jpg

At worst to "bone" to recover the cells and do something with them in a long time .... : Mrgreen:
Make a mini solar charger....etc
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

Re: Can we recover a solar panel where the "window" is broken.

by Christophe » 06/09/22, 17:55

Yes am in a storm one of mine was gone the first winter :( *...and I gave it to a friend who had it treated with resin (epoxy or polyester I don't know but I think polyester tends to yellow under UV light, check it)...

Otherwise you can try with a translucent SLA 3D printer UV resin, it's 30€ per kg, no need to mix...so it's much easier to apply than a two-component epoxy... .

It's been working fine ever since!

I don't know if he removed the cracked glass though, I think not (it was more homogeneous on the same as yours: like by broken breeze)...I think he left it suddenly it must lose production but good as it was almost free...

Check the voltages before doing this job, mine had no electrical problems (it had fallen flat).

* I have had the structure reinforced since...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Can a solar panel be repaired where the "glass" is broken.

by phil59 » 06/09/22, 18:31

Thank you for your answer.

Yes it looks like an old cracked windshield, but in addition there is a big big hole on the left side of the photo.

There, I'm afraid of the damage below, and that in time it won't be cool, or at worst, it will be alone in a corner of the garden.

But I thought rather to "shorten" the panel if possible, to remove these cells ....

I don't know if it's glued, or just vacuum-packed, and why not put another pane, a plexiglass?

The resin solution is cool, but 30€... : Mrgreen: : Lol: (it seems too easy) : Lol: : Mrgreen:

30€, it's the first panels I found, there now around 17€....

Alright, I'm kidding. :P
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/22, 19:07

Before Ukraine it was 20€ or 15€ on sale!

If there is a hole, there must be an electrical discontinuity: you will lose at least 25% because there are 4 strings in parallel generally on each panel...

It gives what voltage if it still gives one?

Dismantling the panel is a very bad idea, you will screw up all the cells by taking them off...I think...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/09/22, 15:20

So 38.7V, but I haven't tested on a micro inverter to see if there is production or not....

Not in good enough shape this afternoon to carry him "up" on the pitch, even on a wheelbarrow....

I would still like to know if the glass is just under vacuum, or if it's stuck... I'd really like to dismantle it... tomorrow we'll see.
I would like to just remove the frame, if it is not glued in addition to being screwed ....
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 07/09/22, 21:07

38V empty and it is supposed to give how much? Normally there is a label (if not on this one, look on the others)...

For dismantling, you know what I think...do what you want...but don't come crying afterwards...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/09/22, 21:13

Christophe wrote:38V empty and it is supposed to give how much? Normally there is a label (if not on this one, look on the others)...

For dismantling, you know what I think...do what you want...but don't come crying afterwards...

180 Wc is the plate of what it is supposed to give, but that does not necessarily mean that it will support the 180 Wc that it is supposed to produce, you really have to plug it in, I think to see how much it produces by compared to the others who are 190-195 Wp, I don't know anymore. If it's roughly equivalent, but tomorrow it's raining in theory at my place, minus 15-20%, that would be good.
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 07/09/22, 21:15

I'm talking about open circuit voltage, not power... Normally there is a label on each panel giving the open circuit and nominal voltage, the nominal current...
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 07/09/22, 21:26

The voltage is the one that's supposed to be good, it's the one it's supposed to produce, that's one thing, but that doesn't mean that it necessarily "turns".

I would have to put for example 3 car bulbs, codes, see a little less, but that would be too little...
0 x

Remundo

by Remundo » 07/09/22, 22:02

your panel, you cannot repair it, but contrary to appearances, it is not HS.

in general there is a laminated glass that cracks, but it remains more or less waterproof.

sunlight reaches the cells, less well, but it does.

you can use it directly, but don't put it in a thong with other panels intact, it would bind them all on its own.

I've had a broken panel like that for a few years (a dishonest delivery man...), I don't do much with it, but it would power something if I took the time to tweak it.

on the other hand, your voltage is a bit bastard... too high for 24V (2 12V batteries), not enough for 42V (3 in series), complicated to operate beforehand.
0 x