My "back" operation (narrow lumbar canal)

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

My "back" operation (narrow lumbar canal)

by phil59 » 09/04/22, 16:09

The purpose of this post is just to inform, reassure, prepare, etc., for an operation of a lumbar canal, narrow...

I'm not going to do it in order, I'm going to start with the return home, which shouldn't be missed.

Why start there, quite simply, because, in my case, it was planned to have my operation on a Friday, on Saturday, "I'm put on my feet", and on Tuesday I'll go home.

That's pretty much what happened, I can reassure you on that point.

In my idea, if Saturday standing, it's going to start to go, more or less.

But being on your feet does not mean 100% independent, in your usual living environment.

At the hospital, they show you how to sit on your bed, get up, sit back, go to bed.

Do not forget that the bed over there, there are motors to raise it, lower it. A little hard from Saturday to Monday to get seated, easier to go from sitting to standing, with the adjustable bed. Be careful, you must not bend, the "neck basin" must remain straight, without twisting...

Everything is going pretty well, with ups and downs.
The physio makes you walk a little, and there you learn that you absolutely must not exceed 250m, in one go, the first 3-4 weeks, and of course, above all, no car, strictly forbidden, and elsewhere, you go into bed, so as not to put "pressure" on my spine...

On Monday, the physio takes you down a floor and back up. Everything is OK.

So Friday operation, on Saturday you wash and we help you, in a basin.

On Sundays, you are put in front of the sink alone.

Having not yet done my "daily poo" (well, fasting from Thursday 23 p.m. to Saturday 8 a.m., there's not much to evacuate, but the urge is a little felt ...), the bowl WC being right next to the sink, a nice handle on the opposite side of the sink, the toilet not too low, you say to yourself, "I'm going to enjoy it" ....

Everything is going well, until the moment of taking the PQ ... there ... you realize that .... not having done an arm transplant of a few cm, you are missing 1 small cm for t wipe properly, efficiently....

Must also say that the redons, normally it is a day, and I had the displeasure to keep them until Monday morning .... and that does not help to gain the few missing mm .... redons removed , Monday afternoon, it's very fair, but it passes, no "rab", but you're happy.

So Tuesday around noon back home... There, you have to be able to sit down, go to the toilet, go to bed.

For sleeping, a room available, bed high enough, with 2 mattresses, and it's impeccable... too bad I didn't know about it beforehand, I would have put this bed next to that of my wife, we have plenty of room....

To sit down, but especially to get up afterwards, an old pierced chair, a little higher, and especially 2 arms, it will remain at the kitchen table.

In the living room, an old Voltaire armchair, arms, a good cushion

No question of sitting in the armchairs, because too low, too soft

For the toilets, a toilet seat raiser, and you're ready

As long as you have the redons, first, lying on your back, it's a little painful, and it prevents you from giving a little fullness to the movements...

Freed from them, it's easily 50% autonomy to recover....

More to come later....

report epure.jpg
report epure.jpg (430.38 KiB) Consulted 6057 times
1 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My "back" operation (narrow lumbar canal)

by phil59 » 09/04/22, 17:41

I forgot to precise ...

Not allowed to push, pull...

To carry a maximum of 5 kg, a bottle of water, 1.5 kg being the optimum....

Not allowed to carry a cat, a dog, a child....

Basically, that's it. Above all, do not let yourself fall to sit down, for example.

So, what is this operation....

Think of a rusty cable in a sheath, and that's pretty much it.

There, in fact, we remove a piece of bone, and we release the different ducts, sheaths...

In my case, it was quite limited in size, but I waited far too long to have the operation, and the surgeon scratched a lot to clear everything, that's partly what explains why I kept, I think, redons 3 days ... a lot of blood, and crap gone ... like 1 good liter in total, at the limit, close to a transfusion ...

For those who are afraid of redons, in this case, you can leave with peace of mind. A PCR test is 10 times more unpleasant than removing these redons, even 3 days later. Frankly, I hardly felt anything, except for a "micro tickling"... nothing to do with that, for example, following a broken patella, 3 days later...

My "back" pains started in 2013, to become real.

But at the same time, I had problems with my knees, the one where the patella had been fractured in 6, and I was taking every day, several paracetamol, voltarene every day (every day, and not just a course of 4 weeks here and there), and I said I had some back pain...

Then for the knees, after 3 "oil" injections in the knee, finally I could go back down the stairs... and there, I stopped these drugs...

But for the back worse and worse ...

So much so that one morning in December 2014, very difficult to move, to get dressed, I will go to work without socks, with old moccasins on my feet..
Appointment in the morning with the doctor, and there my first work stoppage for my employer, first after 14-15 years ... this stoppage will last more than 5 months.

No position allowed to have relief, 24/24....

After a fortnight without improvement, I do a CT scan...

We see there a lumbar shrinkage, but not very important, not requiring an operation a priori...

I speak, to the doctor, back pain, but other pains in the legs, calves, which I call "phantom" pains because I know there is nothing special in these places...

End of December 2014, 1st infiltration in the column under scanner...

No improvement, no longer supporting, in addition to other medications, I start tramadol ... it calms down a bit, but maximum dose very quickly, 400 mg daily ...
The pain is very slightly reduced....

At the very beginning of February, re-infiltration...

Very very slight improvement .... I can't take the pain anymore ... but a rare moment of respite in certain positions

Abandonment of tramadol, a few days, to switch to SKENAN (morphine sulphate).

I start with 10 mg, but very insufficient .... I spend 2-3 days at 6X30 mg per day ....

The pain is still there, but let's say roughly halved, and the rest, ......... who cares...

After this short week, I stop the skenan, to go back to tramadol... The respite has made it possible to reduce the intensity felt. I'm talking about feelings, because everyone will have different reactions....

Mid March, re infiltration, no noticeable improvement, just maybe, very slightly better, but not that yet...

I ask the doctor for an MRI, to see better...

And there, on the MRI, we see 2 herniated discs, one of which, quite nasty in L5-S1, it seems to me. I see a surgeon, and there, we try again a last infiltration, in the most important hernia... At the end of April.

Clear improvement, not top top, but tramadol question, I can go down between 200 and 300 mg, according to the needs... (the remainder of the treatment, remains identical).

From December to the end of February, I will have lost 17 kg, practically not moving, and eating very well....

Towards the end of May 2015, I will go back to work, first a month part-time, and normal after .... a short year with a lot of pain ...

Mid 2016, I managed to walk 10 km again, in Nordic walking....

In total I will have made a dozen infiltrations in the column, until the beginning of February 2022.
Generally, it allowed me, thereafter, from mid-2016, sometimes to no longer take tramadol, and much less of the rest...

Sometimes I would take skenan again, for a day, no more, when things were really not going well...

Next after....
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 09/04/22, 18:22

Since the end of 2014, it was 2 physio sessions per week.

Exercises, of course, but especially by massaging, it removes all the contractures, which, when you have pb, multiply the pain by 100, by 1000.

Since a few stops here and there, sometimes a week, sometimes a month..
In short, a professional life turned upside down....

Last year, no excessive pain, but the body refused ...

MRI of August 2021, showed the hernias were well resorbed, but the lumbar canal was super narrow....

Don't want to do the operation yet... an infiltration in November 2021, and one in February 2022, and nothing...

I didn't really have any pain, contrary to what you can read, doing the infiltrations.... The only really boring thing for me was to stay on my stomach, without moving, for several minutes, the time to wedge the scanner in the right place...
Then the person arrives, positions the needle, pushes the needle even further (yes, it's boring to tell you that, you're waiting for it to be over!), injects a contrast product, I think, to see the diffusion, and then inject the product.
The product, you smell very slightly, but nothing terrible.
To say, the first 4 infiltrations, my wife led me, and brought back...
Afterwards, I did them all by going alone by car .... no pb, on the other hand, afterwards, you stay a few days without going out, to put all the chances on your side, the min of the min, being 48H .. Generally, I always tried to do a late Friday afternoon, to have the weekend at the mini, and often took Monday Tuesday in CP.

Finally, I'm going to see the chir, because nothing else to do... The guy, I don't know what he's worth, but he explains you well, draws well...!!!! :D : Lol:

What more?

Friday, March 25, 2022 operation scheduled.
Arrival at 7am in the morning, and finally, I will not be operated until around 14pm.

You fall asleep on your back, and you wake up on your back.

The operation lasted a little longer than expected .... but less than an hour.

The operation is done, and you are on your knees, roughly....

So the pain? the sequel is on....
0 x

phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 09/04/22, 22:11

So the pain?

Going up from the block, not too much pain, there's what it takes in the perf to calm down as much as possible.

On the other hand, we feel the redons, plus the plastic that comes out, in the back.

In the night they take away the IV, keeping the catheter...

Staying on your back becomes super uncomfortable.

ON can turn sideways.

It's already a little better, after almost 10 hours on the back.

Small pain, but it becomes "boring".

Once you've turned to one side, it's difficult to get back on your back, it's uncomfortable, as for turning to the other side, it's impossible, not enough room.

That's why I advise you when you get home, a 2cm double bed is good.

We give you what you need hidden to calm some of the pain, discomfort....

I'm not in favor of eliminating all pain, because afterwards, we do stupid things, we force a little too much, and it's not good.

They give you a dafalgan 1000, and you smile when they tell you it's a painkiller.... Wanting to put out a fire after a minute, with a glass of water, it's a bit tight.... but hey, it's not unbearable either.

But, it still lacks a bit. I think we are afraid that you will have addictions afterwards...

When you have mastered the skenan, when you master the skenan, it's not a real problem. It's all about being vigilant. But everyone has their limits, their tolerance.

So a lot of discomfort, and real pain, which we could control better, but not insurmountable.
But pain a bit for nothing.

It is very important not to let the pain rise too high, it takes a very long time to bring it down afterwards.

I note, even if the pain was not fully taken care of, it was enormously less painful than what I had experienced at the end of 2014...

So rather positive, on the operation.

Is this a good solution? I don't know yet, even if 2 weeks later, I can dress entirely on my own, manage... roughly speaking, after the first week of the operation, it's not too bad. For the moment, shoe laces impossible, but since I don't go out, it's not a pb.

I had forgotten to specify that for 3 years, I have almost half of my left foot where I have much less sensation, and for a year, heaps of micro movement, at the level of the left calf, without any stop , and for 3-6 months, also law...

The first day after the operation, I felt pretty well in my left foot, but it didn't continue...
Maybe a little better... but we'll see with time...

What I'm hoping for is finding a little more mobility, because for some time now, 500m has become super complicated...
Avoid "casters" as much as possible.

A fortnight later, it's 3 dafalgan 1000 per day, and a tramadol 100 lp at noon.

I think in a week I would have quit the tramadol, or cut down.

I have an excellent physiotherapist, I don't remember if I said, he's the one you're happy to see before the session, during the session, you hate him, see you modify him, and in the end, you revere....

That's it for the biggest, nothing to panic about, it's not trivial, but bearable without major concern.
0 x

phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 09/04/22, 22:55

I forgot to specify, it's standing, lying, or sitting.

But sitting is necessarily feet flat, on the ground, and especially not legs crossed.

You know everything, if you had any doubts, I hope I have convinced you, if necessary....
0 x

Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/04/22, 18:38

Thank you for sharing this insightful feedback!

This is certainly very effective in reducing the anxiety of those who don't pass, so CONGRATULATIONS...!
1 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 10/04/22, 19:45

What you need to remember is above all, that with your back, don't laugh, and do what is necessary before it goes too high.

I think that if I had paid more attention to it in 2013, taken a little rest, or even what to do next, I wouldn't have suffered so long.

I think the operation was unavoidable, but could have been done in better conditions.

With the covid, I don't think the operation could have been done much sooner...

To situate, I have a colleague, who had to be operated on at the level of the ear, for bullshit, as a preventive measure, pure to prevent it ..... degenerating into something more "nasty".

The operation was deprogrammed with the first confinement.

He was operated on a year later... unfortunately... he died of cancer shortly before Christmas 2021. Cancer in the brain, where he was to have his first operation.

It's not sure either that it would have saved him, but hey...
2 x

Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/04/22, 19:56

I don't dare say anything, your testimony is quite telling and we can't rewind the film.

Oh yes, I am very Glad it's better and you're back.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 14/04/22, 01:00

So, after 18 days, apart from putting on the shoe laces, everything is pretty much going, still a bit difficult to "pick up" a piece of paper on the ground.

Still alone in bed, because I need a little room to "turn".
But now, I can find myself from the left side to the right side, directly, without going through the sitting position between them.

Yesterday, when I got out of the shower, part of my left foot protruded from the carpet and ended up on the tiles.
Instead of feeling it 1-3 seconds later, it was almost immediate, although I'm not fully "wow" yet. : Lol: " in the left foot.

No more need for the booster seat on the toilet, and I can sit down and get up on any classic chair.

I can say that it is getting better.

"The hams" are also beginning to become more flexible, and I can stay seated much longer without numbness. (After the operation, very tense muscles at this level, maybe "supports" during the operation).

Still haven't been back in the car since, on Tuesday I'm going to see my doctor, and it will be my first drive out, 25 days after the operation, and on Wednesday for physical therapy.

It was planned at least 3 weeks without a car, and between 3 and 4 for the physio.

Having no apparent worries, also having no benchmark to determine if it's good or not, it will be physio after 26 days, almost 4 weeks....

I wanted to stop the codoliprane, but it was still a little too early, but 4X500 per day, instead of 6X500, but I keep an extra dafalgan 1000, to stay at 3g of paracetamol.

With that, remains a minimum of pain to avoid making bullshit, but it is very bearable.

So everything follows its course without pb, I forgot, 3/4 of the wires are gone. The scar is very correct. Hopefully tomorrow morning when the nurse leaves I won't have a son....
2 x

Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 14/04/22, 19:16

Operated twice for herniated discs. L2 l4 L5 s5.. At 1 years old... Today at 30... am rotten with osteoarthritis.. And diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis... Am rotten with pain sometimes.... Unspeakable... I refuse myself constantly stuffing myself with painkillers... My doctors call me crazy...
2 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...