Tunnel greenhouse

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Tunnel greenhouse

by humus » 24/11/21, 10:06

Hello everyone,

I am considering the purchase of a tunnel greenhouse 7m x 4m approximately to lengthen the season of vegetable production, or even to make kiwi or grapes as well.
I don't know anything about it, Are there particular criteria to look for, mistakes to avoid?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: tunnel greenhouse

by Ahmed » 24/11/21, 10:48

The rounded tunnel is to be preferred, it is not for nothing that the "chapel" shape is less frequent *. Care must be taken to line the hoops with longitudinal wires (wire or special plastic) to support the tarpaulin and thus avoid pockets of water. For the sake of duration, the arches must be coated with a thermal insulation to prevent "baking" of the film in contact with them.
These accessories can be found, for example, at this address: https://www.serre-en-direct.fr/3-access ... -de-jardin
I specify that I have no link with this company ...
In mid-season and in winter, a greenhouse is easy to manage, but in summer ** you quickly understand that it is in reality a dryer and that the rise in temperature requires airing, which causes rapid drying out. There are zenith openings with paraffin jacks, I think it's worth a try (I have never practiced, but if it can avoid an oversight) ... The watering must imperatively be well developed before the critical season ...
If you have any other questions ... 8)

* It is impossible to properly stretch a tarp on a flat surface, it will always flap in the wind.
** Danger: also pay close attention to greenhouse operations during high heat (typically, repair of a sprinkler line): sequences of no more than 5 minutes before venting into the air, otherwise, risk of hyperthermia which can be fatal (perspiration does not cool the body in a humid atmosphere, since there is no evaporation).
2 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/21, 12:49

Also pay attention to the orientation in relation to the prevailing winds of the plastic greenhouses ... prefer a place sheltered from the wind if possible ...

A winter storm or a big summer thunderstorm and your greenhouse may be broken ... :( see if it is easy to put it in "flag" ...

Years ago, 2 tunnel greenhouses did not last more than 3 seasons at home because of the wind ...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 24/11/21, 12:50

I don't know where you live .... But kiwi and grapes in metropolitan France are grown in the open air ... A friend of my parents made a trellis with his kiwis he produces every year crazy
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/11/21, 18:12

Macro wrote:I don't know where you live .... But kiwi and grapes in metropolitan France are grown in the open air ... A friend of my parents made a trellis with his kiwis he produces every year crazy

Exact !

Even in Alsace, known for its harsh winters!

My parents had 6 or 7 feet climbed to 3 or 4 m and which in production, the best, years gave a hundred kg! At least 1 male is needed ...

We might as well tell you that we have eaten some kiwi jam and strawberry kiwi! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

The feet started to wither after about 25 years ...

I don't really know about grapes ... but what seems in France we know how to make wine ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 25/11/21, 08:07

Thank you for all the information concerning the tunnel greenhouses.
If we want to do it right, it's a lot more technical than I thought. : Lol:
I have never seen such a detailed site. : Wink:

Not well understood for the story of the prevailing wind. In which direction to place the greenhouse in relation to this wind, one of the smaller faces (entry / exit)?

For the kiwi, in fact yellow kiwi to be precise (which must be more fragile) and the grape, all in a greenhouse, it is to be sure to have some because outside I am not safe from a late spring frost that would shrivel the flowering.
The idea is also to make a little shade in the greenhouse with these lianas, in the event of a strong summer. : Mrgreen:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/11/21, 09:02

humus wrote:Not well understood for the story of the prevailing wind. In which direction to place the greenhouse in relation to this wind, one of the smaller faces (entry / exit)?
No matter how damaging gusts of wind come from all directions.

Having a hedge or a wall to the north can be an advantage in the north of France, to protect from the north wind.
On the other hand, directing the entrance to the prevailing rain is not a good idea for the risk of mildew.
humus wrote:The idea is also to make a little shade in the greenhouse with these lianas, in the event of a strong summer.
It is wasting surface unnecessarily.
The big risk is overheating in summer, tomatoes don't like it at all, you need good ventilation, both ends wide open, during a period of high heat.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 25/11/21, 09:27

izentrop wrote: Having a hedge .. can be an advantage in the north of France, to protect from the north wind.

I have ! : Lol:

izentrop wrote:On the other hand, directing the entrance to the prevailing rain is not a good idea for the risk of mildew.

Not on purpose but that would be great too.

izentrop wrote:
humus wrote:The idea is also to make a little shade in the greenhouse with these lianas, in the event of a strong summer.
It is wasting surface unnecessarily.

The idea of ​​lianas is that they are high up and channeled in the center so it takes almost nothing on the ground.

humus wrote: good ventilation is needed, with both ends wide open, during a period of high heat.

I was pretty much there too. : Wink:
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 25/11/21, 09:43

There are what they call dolmen greenhouses, it looks good since we have a good height to the edge of the greenhouse.
Is this good in relation to the ideal tension of the tarpaulin of the real tunnel greenhouses?

There are 40mm tube models and a 60mm "pro", is there really any point in going to 60mm?

https://www.serre-en-direct.fr/serre-de ... droit.html

https://www.serre-en-direct.fr/serre-de ... o-500.html
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 25/11/21, 10:49

A friend bought 2 used tunnel greenhouses from a growing farmer.

On my advice, he extended the feet of a metal tube to a recuperator. He didn't bother he took them inside diameter and with a screw it holds / lol

On agglo Orléans, it has green kiwi fruit and grapes that grow outside, in a trellis (but it does not prune as and when it is necessary)
0 x