Open source concentrated solar thermal energy (CSP) project

Solar thermal energy in all its forms: solar heating, hot water, choosing a solar collector, solar concentration, ovens and solar cookers, solar energy storage by heat buffer, solar pool, air conditioning and solar cold ..
Aid, counseling, fixtures and examples of achievements ...
Habib_
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Open source concentrated solar thermal energy (CSP) project

by Habib_ » 30/10/21, 20:21

Hello,

I have just discovered your site, well done for the work accomplished since 2004.

at the moment i am interested in solar thermal energy and am glad to have found your forum.

so my wish is to find interested parties to manufacture together (DIY, or rather DIO "do it with other", I saw this expression on a site :) ) small prototypes, open source, which are based on solar thermal energy, in this case concentrated (CSP).

the idea is to validate (size) this kind of prototypes for domestic use, because it seems to me that financially speaking the CSP is more accessible (for modest households in France and in developing countries) than the photovoltaic, even if that I have seen that its price has dropped considerably compared to 10 years ago etc.

I am thinking of this kind of assembly:

https://www.pinterest.fr/pin/562105597244295402/

ou

but I saw that there are plenty of possible applications and assemblies, the one that produces electricity is the one that interests me the most (CSP / turbine / electricity) but cooking, distillation (water purification ), the cold, ... it's also very interesting (well for the same modest households, or not for that matter ..)

that said, I am not under any illusions, this kind of prototypes / installations, even dimensioned, etc., can only contribute to the consumption of a household (x%), therefore cannot cover the totality of the need, j 've seen that an average house in France consumes 3kW (you will correct me if you have other figures) and therefore if this kind of installation can provide 1kwh it is already huge in my opinion ... the stove in question continue to buy the other 2 kW, waiting for the day when the CSP (or hybrid) technology will allow more etc.

here, sorry for this long message, I hope that it interests a few readers, in which case we can talk about it more (moreover I am basically a physicist by training, computer scientist by trade and former handyman :) )

thank you again for your site and for this space of exchange

Habib
Gentilly (94250)
3 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

NS,

by Obamot » 31/10/21, 02:01

Oh bah a Stirling mounted with a Fresnel lens, this is an idea that it is good ...
To make bigger and put on every balcony?

Nice message!
Nice program / s
Welcome here ...!

Strongly following! Image
1 x
Habib_
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

NS,

by Habib_ » 31/10/21, 11:45

thank you Obamot for the welcome and encouragement :)

so I did not think of balconies (but why not) but rather of roofs of houses (or gardens, such a large garden) see for small farmers (small plot to irrigate in this case, pumping water via thermodynamic solar energy ..)

I will come back with some cool cases (photos) that I have seen

very good sunday to you and to all
1 x
Christophe

Re: Open source concentrated solar thermal energy (CSP) project

by Christophe » 31/10/21, 12:30

Habib_ wrote:Hello,

I have just discovered your site, well done for the work accomplished since 2004.

at the moment i am interested in solar thermal energy and am glad to have found your forum.

(..)

Hi and welcome here!

Great project! Finally a subject from a new member of applied econology in a covid context!

I was interested in the solar concentration by Fresnel some time ago ... the concern at the time (and still now) is the cost of the lens from certain dimensions ...

For example it will be very expensive if you want 3 thermal kW = 3 m2 of solar surface = 1 m radius approximately = 2 m in diameter ... it is already a very large lens (several thousand euros ... in China...)

There are other ways to concentrate the solar than Fresnel ... the least expensive is (in my opinion) the linear parabolic it only requires a 1 axis tracker ... but if you really want a great power it must go through a heliostat: solar-thermal / solar-furnace-helios-plans-de-realization-d-un-heliostat-t10784.html

Do not hesitate to do research search.php

I found these DIY topics ... there are plenty of other pages that talk about solar concentration:

solar-thermal / calculation-of-a-solar-parabola-curvature-t9688.html

solar-thermal / manufacture-of-a-mylar-solar-dish-by-padawan-t7553.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/10/21, 12:30

ps: I changed the title of the subject
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/10/21, 12:45

Habib_ wrote:(...)

thank you again for your site and for this space of exchange

Habib
Gentilly (94250)

You can watch the work of JL Perrier also: solar-thermal / solar-jean-luc-Perrier production-and-hydrogen-solar-t1520.html

Ouest France has just published articles on JL Perrier:

I found that too: https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... brication/ et https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/par ... 5Y9UYx.pdf

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 12-46-44 Drawings of the concentration solar cooker with iD Cook logo… - 12797246055Y9UYx pdf.png
Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 12-46-44 Plans of the solar concentrator cooker with iD Cook logo… - 12797246055Y9UYx pdf.png (406.29 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
0 x
Habib_
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Habib_ » 31/10/21, 18:17

thank you very much Christophe for the welcome and the information and the links :)

then the Fresnel lens, I spoke about it as an indication, but indeed as you say I aim the linear parabolic to produce water vapor which reaches (very sunny day) the 250 ° C, and this vapor will be used to turn a turbine either to produce electrified electricity, or to pump water, etc.

so I am thinking of this kind of hub (for example to make one with a size divided by 2, for a first prototype ..):
https://gaiasolar.en.made-in-china.com/ ... rough.html

and do all the manipulations and measurements to see if it could generalize with the size in question or enlarge it a little if it turns out not to be powerful enough, etc. hence the idea of ​​prototyping and therefore achieving a "good" sizing which would later encourage many households (families) to implement it at home, following a detailed manufacturing plan like the one you have given me. sent (making a heliostat)

if for agricultural use, there is generally more space (no need to put it on a roof etc.) and the farmer can multiply the elements to increase in power.

I'm afraid that people (I'm talking about people in general) will tell me ah yes but they can import it from China (order it on aliexpress etc.), of course, but the example cited 'is an element intended for large CSP plants , it is not sized for a house, on the other hand the idea of ​​the DIY project aims at two things: a lower cost and to make people work thanks to that (not all households have a handyman at home and therefore will call upon a craftsman or a neighbor who knows how to do it etc.), in short the idea is first to help modest households to switch to renewable energy, and then to participate in relocating work (France, Africa, India, ..), and by the same to minimize maritime transport from Asia (container) which consumes energy and pollutes, etc.

if not, I saw this model too: http://www.ffwdm.com/solar/solar-index.htm

in addition, i hope to find people interested in forming a team because otherwise it is less motivating.

I contacted by email the Atelier21 fablab, specialized in energy, two days ago, I have not received (yet?) an answer.
I will also contact the fablab of the city of sciences too

I will keep you posted as soon as I have any news

very good evening to you and to all
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/10/21, 18:47

You're welcome, a good forum is made for that: to be participatory (unlike a.social networks where individualism takes precedence ...) 8) 8) 8)

A hybrid solution to reduce the costs and size of the Fresnel lens would be to use a first concentrator (parabolic OR heliostat) THEN fresnel as a final concentrator ... in this case it would be easy to have the 3 m² "solar" at a lower rate. cost !

This would be a concentration in 2 stages ... nothing forbids it but it requires a little calculations of geometric optics!

Check that the lens withstands the temperatures of the 1st concentration ... if it's plastic it does not rise high (150 ° C is screwed up ...)

ps: as you can see in your 1st message, you can insert videos directly on the forum, for example that of your last link

(just copy / paste the youtube link)
0 x
Habib_
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Habib_ » 02/11/21, 15:43

sorry for the delay in answering Christophe,

completely agree on the point of a.social networks, very well seen :)

so yes to combine the reflective concentrators (very thin aluminum sheet + layer of varnish for example, but nothing has been decided for the moment) and then a Fresnel lens, so I didn't think like you 'as said (combination of the 2 at the same time) but rather, when the hot water leaves the circuit of the reflectors, then passes for example by a final spiral and this spiral is exposed to the concentration of a Fresnel lens, the idea is to add an additional final delta T, which heats the water vapor more and therefore a higher pressure for the turbine, or if the day is not too sunny, this delta T at least contributes to that the water reaches boiling point, in other words the vapor state, necessary to turn the turbine (even weakly for days with no sunny days ..)

but for the first proto, I am thinking rather of only aluminum concentrators, for the simplicity of the assembly first, because in fact the objective is really a concrete domestic use, and therefore the simpler it is the more it will be adopted by the 'final user. therefore opt for this first proto with a power by multiplication of the elements, in other words, someone has a large garden, he can afford to use two or three elements, if they are at the back of the garden and not disturbing anyone etc. . or on the roof, if the roof is flat (rare in France)

it is noted for the videos, by the way I have voluntarily put the whole page because there is the text which is also interesting, it says that for example its assembly delivers 1kW (after you have to see in what conditions, country, etc. )

otherwise, I had an exchange by phone today, rich in information (CE standards, license, skills of participants, ..) with a member of the Open Source Ecology association, he contributed to this project:

It's a shame that he lives in Auvergne, but ready to contribute remotely, through his skills in digital modeling in 3D, here is an example of his recent achievements: https://volta.plus/ (he plans to make a prototype soon)

here it is, for now

very good day
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 02/11/21, 16:08

Habib, you're talking about thin aluminum sheets covered with a varnish, but wouldn't the use of thin stainless steel be preferable and would dispense with varnish which reduces the reflective power?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."